Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 03:29 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,195,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post

I have observed something odd though:

With regard to attire and appearance, and how to you tell the difference between a homeless person and a SXSW attendee? The homeless person has no badge and the SWSW attendee doesn't ask for spare change. Other than that, from a people watching perspective, there isn't much difference. I'm not sure why the sxsw crowd is such a scuffy looking bunch, but they are.

Steve
That's pretty funny. Us design peeps aren't always scruffy but I think it's part of the Austin slacker vibe. Some of the creatives at the agency I work at look like they just rolled out of bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 03:33 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,399,558 times
Quote:

With regard to attire and appearance, and how to you tell the difference between a homeless person and a SXSW attendee? The homeless person has no badge and the SWSW attendee doesn't ask for spare change. Other than that, from a people watching perspective, there isn't much difference. I'm not sure why the sxsw crowd is such a scuffy looking bunch, but they are.

Steve
It's probably the "grunge" look!

Old 03-15-2009, 03:43 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,936,426 times
Quote:
Ha, no kidding! The film people tend to be the worst (I mean this in the nicest possible way)... the musicians / music fans try to be all hesh, but the film people actually live it. They don't think twice about wearing the same (unwashed) shirt that they've worn for the past 30 days... or substituting a little after shave for a shower. Truly, they are the closest in attire to the homeless... except they tend to carry around a bit more of a gut! Be glad you can't smell a movie set when you are watching a film...

Old 03-16-2009, 10:19 AM

170 posts, read 448,209 times
I agree that it's worth it to walk around during SXSW, even if you're not going into the clubs. I used to work downtown and loved walking around the area during SXSW. There were always tons of people who were excited to be in Austin and you could hear lots of bands playing. The vibe was really fun. It will definitely give your visitor a taste of Austin that they might not normally get to see.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:24 PM

22 posts, read 109,009 times
does anyone know if i can get in a show at the convention center without a wristband/badge? i really want to see a show at the bat room saturday night at the convention center but its hard to tell whether we might be able to get in or not. ill pay a cover, that's not an issue---but everything i've read seems to only talk about other venues (like stubbs, etc.) any ideas?

Old 03-14-2010, 09:59 PM

7,746 posts, read 15,188,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
So we have an out of town visitor coming in this week and she wants to see Sixth Street. Of course, we just realized it's SXSW this week. Is it going to be possible for us to go downtown in the PM if we are not part of that scene? In other words, we don't have badges, we don't want badges, are there any clubs that will be open to regular people? Furthermore, should we expect parking to go from $7-10 in the evenings to $20 or more?
The austin rodeo is going on too. Ive never been to it, but Im sure it has some good events.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:31 AM

163 posts, read 319,372 times
Quote:
We'll be there tonight (wife and I), and were at the same time last year. We don't got no stinking badges either.

Our routine is always the same. Dinner at Roaring Fork. Then walk to the Hideout for coffee and a dessert. Then we stroll up 6th street toward Red River and back. Then we retrieve the car from the RF valet and head home.

It's about a 3 hour night out. We don't drink so we don't actually go into any clubs or anything, but we do enjoy the vibe, hearing the music that spills out of the clubs, and seeing all the interesting people.

I have observed something odd though:

With regard to attire and appearance, how do you tell the difference between a homeless person and a SXSW attendee? The homeless person has no badge and the SWSW attendee doesn't ask for spare change. Other than that, from a people watching perspective, there isn't much difference. I'm not sure why the sxsw crowd is such a scuffy looking bunch, but they are.

Steve
instead of people watching and aimlessly walking about, you should try talking to someone of questionable appearance, instead of judging them from afar.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
The austin rodeo is going on too. Ive never been to it, but Im sure it has some good events.
can't we just keep the rodeo out of austin? i mean seriously...it's texas. wouldn't austin be all the more weird, if a rodeo was actually absent from a texas city.

oh wait, yee-haw.

Last edited by absolutely; 03-15-2010 at 02:46 AM..

Old 03-15-2010, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
It's probably the "grunge" look!
well considering it's 2010....no.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:32 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,081,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutely View Post
well considering it's 2010....no.
Well, considering this was a 2009 thread and it was when she made this observation....

In case anyone was wondering, when our friend came last year, my husband took her downtown on Friday night of SXSW and the parking gods were on his side. He found free parking and they walked around for a few hours of quality people watching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin