Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 11:32 AM

246 posts, read 859,783 times

Advertisements

There is plenty to do during SXSW for free or for little money. The vast majority of "unofficial" shows are free to get into, and many of them even have free food or drinks.

And if you do want to get into one of the official shows, in most cases it's very easy to do by paying a cover (usually $10) if you don't have a wristband or badge. The official shows with big draw bands are tough to get into without a badge, but if you're worried about that you're kind of missing the point of SXSW altogether.

You can also go to the films without a badge by waiting in line and paying to get in. As with big-draw bands, popular films will be hard to get into without a badge, but there are still plenty of films you can see by just paying at the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 09:54 PM

163 posts, read 319,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Well, considering this was a 2009 thread and it was when she made this observation....
grunge = mid 80's.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:11 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,106,208 times
I am attending this year, badge and all, for just the Interactive portion. Tomorrow is the last day. It's been a great conference with many great discussion panels. Mainly I decided to go this year at the urging of a friend. Glad I did. It's been very educational and a total thumbs up.

The only sad thing is how deeply everyone's nose is buried in their laptops and hand held devices. You'd expect to see a lot more tech use on display at a Tech conference, but it's borderline difficult to watch the zombie-like trances of so many people in a concentrated area. Myself included. When in Rome...

Tough crowd too. Mass walkout about halfway through the Keynote Interview with Twitter CEO Evan Williams because the interviewer was ghastly, boring and self-absorbed. Made the interview unbearable by talking about himself most of the time and asking stupid questions.

Some dude took a video of people leaving:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWgW4TlPEfQ
Steve

Old 03-16-2010, 08:18 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,082,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutely View Post
grunge = mid 80's.
No Sh*t, I was in my early 20s living in Seattle at the time, before "grunge" was a national fashion statement. My point was that this was an old thread and you were telling her it was 2010, when she wrote it back in 2009.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:20 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,082,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I am attending this year, badge and all, for just the Interactive portion. Tomorrow is the last day. It's been a great conference with many great discussion panels. Mainly I decided to go this year at the urging of a friend. Glad I did. It's been very educational and a total thumbs up.

The only sad thing is how deeply everyone's nose is buried in their laptops and hand held devices. You'd expect to see a lot more tech use on display at a Tech conference, but it's borderline difficult to watch the zombie-like trances of so many people in a concentrated area. Myself included. When in Rome...

Tough crowd too. Mass walkout about halfway through the Keynote Interview with Twitter CEO Evan Williams because the interviewer was ghastly, boring and self-absorbed. Made the interview unbearable by talking about himself most of the time and asking stupid questions.

Some dude took a video of people leaving:

YouTube - Why Everyone Left the Twitter Keynote at SXSW
Steve
Who was the interviewer?

Old 03-16-2010, 10:01 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,106,208 times
Quote:
Who was the interviewer?
Interviewer was Umair Haque. A Harvard nerd, I think, and now indisputable self-absorbed bore.

Here is a good Summary of the reaction to the interview.

By the way, all of the workshops can be followed remotely through Twitter back-channel hashtags as people tweet their notes and comments throughout the workshops/classes. Just search sxsw at Twitter, and then pick up on a class title (will have a # in front), then go type it in and follow it at Hashtags.org.

Here is an example of one getting ready to start - Can you run a serverless business?

Interesting technology that allows one to essentially listen to a discussion without being here.

Steve

Old 03-16-2010, 10:08 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,625,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Interviewer was Umair Haque. A Harvard nerd, I think, and now indisputable self-absorbed bore.

Here is a good Summary of the reaction to the interview.

By the way, all of the workshops can be followed remotely through Twitter back-channel hashtags as people tweet their notes and comments throughout the workshops/classes. Just search sxsw at Twitter, and then pick up on a class title (will have a # in front), then go type it in and follow it at Hashtags.org.

Here is an example of one getting ready to start - Can you run a serverless business?

Interesting technology that allows one to essentially listen to a discussion without being here.

Steve
So, I wouldn't know a tweet from a twit but I wonder what sort of 'hardball' questions weren't asked? Is this guy hiding something...should I be concerned? I'll admit I'm more into fritters than twitters.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:20 PM

163 posts, read 319,388 times
Quote:
No Sh*t, I was in my early 20s living in Seattle at the time, before "grunge" was a national fashion statement. My point was that this was an old thread and you were telling her it was 2010, when she wrote it back in 2009.

true true, my mistake.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:50 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,538,807 times
Speaking of fashion, I can always tell who the out-of-towners are at SXSW because they always end up dressing the way they think Austinites dress (which is usually way more stylish than most Austinites look).

Old 03-19-2010, 01:57 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,042,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
Speaking of fashion, I can always tell who the out-of-towners are at SXSW because they always end up dressing the way they think Austinites dress (which is usually way more stylish than most Austinites look).

hahaha I know right. They wear $200 outfits that look thrift store, when the townies wear actual thrift store. Another thing - how did the number of pedicabs triple? Are there travelling pedicab companies with trailers/crews in town? Any way - I love this time of year. I don't care if the central Austin pop. swells by 40K either. (btw, a lot of the girls are reee-diculously hot! wow).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin