Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2009, 07:30 AM
jyo jyo started this thread

10 posts, read 40,865 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am going to need a new roof and also a new A/C unit for my 2 story home.. Any recommendations about A/C units and models and also if you have experience with any of the installers..
Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 08:17 AM

593 posts, read 1,378,114 times
When purchasing new A/C equipment for your home, always get several estimates on what it would cost to completely install and get it in writing, then go with the dealer/installer you feel most comfortable with. The very best units are American Standard, Trane, Rheem/Ruud, & FrigidAire. There are others too, but the ones to stay away from are Goodman (poor quality) and Lennox because their equipment can only be serviced by their repairmen and they have extra parts that break over time.
I use a real good guy, Jason, try him at 441-7262 and just ask for an estimate.

Sorry, I can't help you with the roof but he might know someone good because he had a couple of roof replacements on his rental properties recently.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:03 PM

477 posts, read 1,580,955 times
I HIGHLY recommend Armadillo Roofing. The owner, Mark Franz 293-9550 is a real class act. When I found out I was having problems after only 3 years with anothe rroofing company, he came out free of charge, prepared a very detailed report and basically gave me what I needed to go up against the other company. Since then, I have recommended him at every opportunity and all of my friends have been thrilled with his work, prices, and most of all - integrity.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:16 PM

658 posts, read 2,006,429 times
I would stay away from Corning 20 year shingles. Our roof started showing strange edges turning up in a diagional pattern at the 3 year mark. The roofing company sent someone out and they said the shingles were bad. Every rain has lots of granules coming off.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:33 PM
jyo jyo started this thread

10 posts, read 40,865 times
did someone have an a/c install recently and any opinions on systems and also installers?? ANy input on air rescue or mr cool will be appreciated..
ANy cost estimates and also good systems to buy.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:55 PM

593 posts, read 1,378,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyo View Post
did someone have an a/c install recently and any opinions on systems and also installers?? ANy input on air rescue or mr cool will be appreciated..
ANy cost estimates and also good systems to buy.

Stay away from the big companies. They way overcharge and most of their technicians are fresh out of school (cheap labor). Don't know about the two companies you mentioned but it is always best to get several different estimates on what it will cost to have your system replaced. So call several different companies and ask if they will give you a free estimate to come and give you a bid on replacing the condenser, coil, furnace, or all, or part. If money is an issue you can usually replace one and wait on the other provided your system can handle the new equipment. Great brands include: Trane, American Standard, Rheem/Ruud, Frigidaire. Some like Lennox for instance can only be worked on by their repairman. Others to stay away from are Goodman/Janitrol. They are cheap and should only be considered for rental property if money is an issue.

You can try ACME A/C and Heating 441-7262. Honest and stand by their work and product.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:30 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
In July 2007 I had the 18 year old HVAC completely replaced on my 1989 house. It was the original unit except it looked like the interior cooling coils had been replaced by the previous owner at some time.

2300 SF, 1 story house, slab on grade, with insulated glass windows. I went with ARS and went through the Austin Energy Home Performance program, which evaluates and upgrades if needed, the complete energy envelope of the home; insulation, ducts, sealing, and energy performance of the heating, cooling filtration, duct, electrical service and piping systems (gas, condensate drainage & refrigerant). Most improvements in those areas quickly pay for themselves in energy savings, AND their are rebates available through the program that also help compensate the homeowner for some of the cost of upgrades. ARS was professional and explained everything they were doing. The were prompt with appointments and courteous, showed up for work on time and completed it when promised. HVAC was installed in one day, and the weatherization installed on the second day. On the third day every thing was inspected by the City inspector and we were done. I was very satisfied with it all.

In my case our new HVAC system was by Carrier. it included:
- AC: 3.5 ton, SEER 16 AC Condenser, with "puron" refrigerant.
- Gas Furnace w/ variable speed blower & 2 stage heat so it can respond at lower rates when needed.
- Programmable thermidistate (temperature & limited humidity control).
- Warranty: 1 year labor, 5 year free parts, 10 year compressor, 20 year heat exchanger.
- Weatherization included adding some additional insulation as well as duct and register sealing.

HVAC system was by Carrier.. $7,016
Weatherization..................... $1,361
Sub Total............................. $8,377
Less Rebate..........................<$2,232>
Net cost to Owner ................. $6,144

Rebates:
City of Austin........................ $1536
Texas Gas ........................... $ 396
IRS "Tier 2" ......................... $ 300 I think this was a tax deduction rather then a rebate so it may have been misleading.
Total Rebates....................... $2,232

We are very happy with the performance of the new HVAC. The house is always comfortable, including on the coldest and hottest days . The units are so quiet we rarely hear them running.

I have been keeping a graph tracking my utility usage since we bought the house in 2005.

Since the installation of the new HVAC our annual electrical consumption has been only 65% of previous years and our gas consumption has been 89% of previous years. I need to calculate the savings in dollars, have not done that yet. But I'm confident the HVAC improvements are paying for themselves.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:03 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Edge Roofing
Strand Brothers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin