Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 10:24 AM

1,450 posts, read 4,256,722 times

Advertisements

We recently sustained damage to our roof from a hail storm. Within a few days of the storm we were approached by several roof companies, al eager for our business. signs of roof companies have sprung up all over the neighborhood.

I'm concerned theses are fly-by-nights, companies that abandon work in the middle, or don't stand behind their work. How do we find a reputable company, one that does quality work and will be there to honor the warranty years later?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 06:03 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,904,229 times
I was pleased with Kettler roofing. They have a good Angie's list rating, and they don't ask for anything upfront (generally a good sign, most other companies wanted anywhere from 30% to 50% up front)

Old 04-03-2009, 06:05 PM

5,872 posts, read 11,951,881 times
I had a good experience with Mr. Roofer, locally owner and in business for 25 years.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:19 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,388,785 times
First and best ask people you know. If that fails
get several references for local jobs done by the contractor. Then investigate. Call AND go by the job. Talk to the reference in person. This sounds like a pain but everyone has a cousin that will say anything over the phone. I don't know your licence requirements there but in cal. it's very strict. That being said my experience with unlicenced contractors has been far superior to the fully licenced contractors. They try harder. And charge much less. Follow up on the refrences.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:27 AM

484 posts, read 1,586,178 times
I'd recommend searching the BBB (Better Business Bureau) or Angies List before you hire anyone. That way you can get full reviews of each company you're considering.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:08 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,337,778 times
We've always used Barker roofing. 40 years in business, they've always treated us right.
Barker Roofing & Sheetmetal, Inc.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:14 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,131,785 times
The first house I reroofed, I obtained bids from 3 roofers. Henry Myer Roofing 288-5644 was the lowest price and they did good work. I have since them reroof an additional house, add vents to the first house and do some repairs where a squirrel damaged some shingles and flashing. I have always been very satisfied with his work and prices.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:27 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,256,722 times
Thanks for all replies. In TX roofers aren't required to be licensed, and the BBB is a joke, all they tell you is if a business is a member or not and whether they are in good standing.

To be a member they just have to pay dues, to maintain "good standing" they just have to respond to any complaints, not necessarily respond in a satifactory manner.

We had a "storm chaser' come by here last week, foolishly I signed a contract, called to cancel, we are protected under the 3-day right to rescind a contract law, he said he would come by and drop off papers for us to sign to cancel the contract last night, never came by, said he would come by today before noon, never did, we asked for address to mail a cancellation, never gave it to us, sent a letter certified mail yesterday to the address on the contract, that should cover us. If they're that difficult to deal with now, imagine how they would be later!

Also, with any home improvement work, make double-certain they're vbonded and insured and carry workers comp for their workmen, unless you want to support a bunch of workers who fell while working on your property for the rest of their lives. And you don't want subcontractors showing up at your door demanding payment because the main contractor didn't pay them thenplacing a lien on your home. Many homeowners have been in such a "double pay" trap.

Tread so carefully with contractors, especially the "storm chasers".

Old 04-04-2009, 05:56 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,131,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
The first house I reroofed, I obtained bids from 3 roofers. Henry Myer Roofing 288-5644 was the lowest price and they did good work. I have since them reroof an additional house, add vents to the first house and do some repairs where a squirrel damaged some shingles and flashing. I have always been very satisfied with his work and prices.
I was especially impressed with Henry Meyer when I first contacted him about reroofing my first house, he came out and looked at it and told me that I didn't need to reroof the house yet, I could probably wait 2 or 3 years more before doing it. I did, and give him the job a few years later.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 6,085 times
Default I don't get why YOU don't get it!?!?

I'm a sales rep for a local Austin roofing company. I am also an insurance adjuster and have worked storm claims for over 5 years. Now that I am selling roofs and on the other side of the measuring tape, I am dealing with home owners in a new way; SELLING. It just blows me away how so many people want a "bid" on their roof. Our contracts read that we agree to do the work for what the insurance company pays. This allows us to supplement the claim for additional damage and/or insufficient pricing from the insurance company. It gives us the opportunity to make a fair profit on the job and still help YOU with your deductible. So far, most people I have met want me to eat their deductible AND give them a lowball price. How does that even begin to make sense? This hail storm is not a charity ball. We roofers are not out to rip anyone off, and the insuranc companies are the last people to OVER PAY anyone. So please explain how it makes sound business sense for us to do all this and that for FREE!?!?!?! Then everyone wants three bids b/c their insurance company told them so. Don;t you get it!?!? The insurance company wants you to believe that they're looking out for you! THEY ARE NOT! I USED TO WORK FOR THEM. I KNOW! They want to tell you that the cheapest bid is the one you have to use. Not even this will make sense to you....will it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin