Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 02:39 AM

46 posts, read 176,875 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone:

I searched long and hard and haven't had a chance to find the answer to my question. Hopefully some of you Steiner Ranch citizens may have an answer for me.

I just moved into SR about half a year ago and I love everything about it. I have collected classic automobiles for over 20 years now, and where I use to live, my driveway was never a problem. But my current home's driveway in SR is a death trap for my vehicles.

I have a Corvette that will absolutely not get onto my driveway without scraping. So after admitting defeat, I started to use a couple of customized ramps that I carry in and out every time I need to go somewhere. It is a temporary fix. I love my home and plan to live here for years and years. But the custom ramps are pretty heavy and tedious. I can't imagine me doing this every day for the rest of my life in SR.

Where I use to live (in Dallas), the HOA did not get involved in driveway re-pavements (many of my old friends had their driveway repaved without the community HOA getting involved). My question is: If I wanted to get my driveway professionally repaved, would I have to run it by the SR HOA first? I emphasize "professionally" because I understand that if done incorrectly, it could indeed affect water flow, drainage, etc. I plan on hiring professionals that take those concerns into consideration on a daily basis.

I have read the HOA guides and manuals, but much of it is a bit general and vague. It does not go into driveway details too much (at all). I honestly wouldn't know if my situation would need to concern them or not.

If any of you have any answers, ideas, etc. please let me know. I just reached an "over-the-hill" age and can't see my back lasting too many more years of lifting these ramps in and out when I just need to pick up a carton of milk down the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 06:39 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,016,561 times
Obivously, contact the HOA but also you'll need to get with the City/County to make sure your driveway plans meet their requirements. For example, if you have a sidewalk in front of your house, the portion of the driveway that serves as the sidewalk will have to meet ADA accessibility guidelines.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:28 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,557 times
I am next door in RP and I would contact my HOA! I doubt they would cause you any issue, unless you ignore them
I understand you frustration as I also have a car I cannot get in my driveway, luckely (not really) it has been wrenched on for 11 months!!! And I have space in a warehouse where I can park it!!!

Old 01-18-2009, 09:46 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
I'm in SR, and yes, you absolutely have to not only contact the HOA first, but submit all of the plans for approval BEFORE you begin any work. In addition to appearance (which I doubt will be an issue unless you plan on using purple concrete), they will be concerned with drainage and any affect the changes will have on the sidewalk, since you are changing the grading. If the drainage and/or sidewalk will be affected, you may have a tough sell.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:58 AM

Great! Thanks for all the information. I definitely will contact the HOA first. Right now, it is a bit annoying because I live at the "dip" of the street and all of the rain settlements (sand, dirt, mud, debree, etc.) settle in front of my house. I wanted to contact HOA a few months after moving in about that, so I could get proper drainage away from my house and into the sewage system.

But hopefully I could speak to them about that at the same time, and it could be used as a positive towards a new driveway. As for the sidewalk, I don't plan to really do anything to it. It is the huge dip after the sidewalk that makes driving more of a pain than a pleasure.

My question now is would I need to contact this person?
Architectural Coordinator Brandi Moegelin

Old 01-18-2009, 02:04 PM

575 posts, read 2,496,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth.richard View Post
Great! Thanks for all the information. I definitely will contact the HOA first. Right now, it is a bit annoying because I live at the "dip" of the street and all of the rain settlements (sand, dirt, mud, debree, etc.) settle in front of my house. I wanted to contact HOA a few months after moving in about that, so I could get proper drainage away from my house and into the sewage system.

But hopefully I could speak to them about that at the same time, and it could be used as a positive towards a new driveway. As for the sidewalk, I don't plan to really do anything to it. It is the huge dip after the sidewalk that makes driving more of a pain than a pleasure.

My question now is would I need to contact this person?
Architectural Coordinator Brandi Moegelin
Yes, we have worked with Brandi on two occasions. Drawings of what you want to do may help, but this still could be big enough to take a couple of meetings to cover. I believe they meet every Thursday (closed session).

Old 01-18-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCalitoSteinerRanch View Post
Yes, we have worked with Brandi on two occasions. Drawings of what you want to do may help, but this still could be big enough to take a couple of meetings to cover. I believe they meet every Thursday (closed session).
Great, thank you. Thanks for all the members that posted. It really helped in my decision. Can't wait!

Old 01-18-2009, 04:47 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,453,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
I'm in SR, and yes, you absolutely have to not only contact the HOA first, but submit all of the plans for approval BEFORE you begin any work. In addition to appearance (which I doubt will be an issue unless you plan on using purple concrete), they will be concerned with drainage and any affect the changes will have on the sidewalk, since you are changing the grading. If the drainage and/or sidewalk will be affected, you may have a tough sell.
It wouldn't hurt if the HOA was co-operative, but unfortunately that is not always the case nor are you necessarily "safe" if you receive an "approval". These "approvals" are often unsigned form documents which leaves the door open for the HOA (actually the vendors of the HOA) to cause trouble for you later down the line.

If you are required to submit anything in writing, then do so using certified, return receipt requested mail service and keep a copy of what you sent as well as the return receipt, stamped "certified" stub, etc.

Oftentimes generic forms will insist that you get written permission prior to starting any work and will threaten you with various sanctions if you do not get written approval first - even when the HOA/AC is given only a limited time to accept/reject your application per the CCRs. Consider, for example, the tone of this AC request form from Steiner Ranch which requires you to put up $500 for the privilege of requesting permission for your "modification".

http://www.steinerranchhoa.org/stein...nload-585.html

The form acknowledges that the AC has a maximum of 30 days to consider a request (likely mandated by the CCRs) but then proceeds to threaten any owner who starts work prior to receiving written approval with fines! Worse, the "application" requires you to waive your right to automatic approval as a pre-condition to considering your request!

If the CCRs state that the request is automatically approved in case the AC doesn't act within 30 days, then neither the HOA nor the AC has the authority to fine you if they fail to either approve or deny the request within 30 days. That's the point of such a provision in the CCRs. The AC has an opportunity to have a say-so as long as they act within the 30 days - otherwise they can take a hike.

Look at point 5 of the application form. The AC expects you to waive your right to automatic approval as a pre-condition to accepting your request! Their own explanation suggests that the CCRs dictate automatic approval of your request if they don't timely act upon it.

If your CCRs provide for an automatic approval, then you should NOT agree to such a term as a pre-condition to consideration of your request. If they don't act within the 30 days, then you are automatically approved. You should ask yourself why these folks insist that you waive your right to automatic approval as a condition for even considering your application.

Interesting that all these "rules" and "regulations" are posted, but the CCRs limiting the authority of the AC do not appear to be posted on the website.

Protect yourself by documenting and preserving a record of your request and keep us updated with your experience. You need to also preserve any correspondence you may have with your HOA/AC. Good luck.

Last edited by IC_deLight; 01-18-2009 at 05:04 PM..

Old 01-18-2009, 07:05 PM

477 posts, read 1,581,069 times
Just wondering how repaving would help the slope?

Old 01-19-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATXTransplant View Post
Just wondering how repaving would help the slope?
I wouldn't necessarily be "repaving" as the term suggest. But more of filling the dip and having a gated "bridge" to make sure debris and other settlements do not get blocked or clogged from its natural flow. It's a bit hard to explain exactly how it would work. I guess in other words, decreasing the incline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: