Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 11:53 PM

17 posts, read 50,465 times

Advertisements

Relocating from California to Steiner Ranch (heard that one before, I'll bet!).

Would like to hear where people recommend to get a good bite out. Obviously, I've driven past the Steak House, and the Oasis' reputation preceeds it. For those living in the Ranch, what's relatively close-by in terms of restaurants? Are most of my options confined to Lakeway? Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 08:12 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,825,226 times
You have several smaller restaurants actually located in Steiner like the Pizza/pasta place and deli.
You can also go the other direction up to 2222 and you have the Boat House Grill and BBQ place on the left, along with some fast food stuff on your right where the HEB is. Rudy's BBQ is a little further up, as is Flores Mexican by the Home Depot.

So, no, you are not limited to just Lakeway. Go towards 2222.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:22 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,431,297 times
Hudsons on the Bend, though that's not a place for a "quick bite".

I've heard awesome things about Cafe Blue, though I've not eaten there - it's a bit further but still on the lake.

Iguana Grill - great views, slightly better food and Margaritas than the Oasis, in my opinion.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:37 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,138,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieconcarne View Post
Relocating from California to Steiner Ranch (heard that one before, I'll bet!).

Would like to hear where people recommend to get a good bite out. Obviously, I've driven past the Steak House, and the Oasis' reputation preceeds it. For those living in the Ranch, what's relatively close-by in terms of restaurants? Are most of my options confined to Lakeway? Any recommendations?
Reales is probably one of the better new york style pizza/italian food in austin. It is at 620 and anderson mill rd (some think it is the best)

Rudy's is my favorite bbq in austin - but I only get the extra moist brisket and creamed corn. Most everything else is dry 620 and 2222

Ill second Iguana grill, their food is pretty good. I usually get the seafood enchiladas

Smokey J's bbq has the best chopped beef sandwiches in town. They only have sit outside dining, 620 and 2222

thundercloud subs is an austin chain and they have good subs- I really like their veggie sub 620 and 2222

Old 06-30-2010, 10:06 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,782,120 times
Located inside Steiner ranch are:

Fions - Wine bar and bistro. Perfectly adequate for a decent meal locally.
Thai Harmony - Havent eaten there and have heard mixed things about it. Thai Spice in Lakeway is consistently good value thai food.
Lakeside Pizza & Grill - Pizza, burgers, and pasta. Menu items range from poor to pretty good. Try the basil, pesto, chicken pizza.
Steiner ranch steakhouse - Has its ups and downs depending on the chef but generally a good steak and a nice atmosphere.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:39 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,440,169 times
Are you taking the kids with you? If so,

Mangieri's in Lakeway. Good food, great patio, and playscape.
Lakeside Pizza and Grill. In Steiner Ranch, very kid friendly and good food.
Iguana Grill on 620. View as good as Oasis but less expensive and better food.
Rudy's BBQ on 620
Waterloo Ice House at 360 and 2222. Great playscape
Boat House Grill on 620. Not the greatest food but great playscape and has kids Karaoke on Thursday nights.
La Feria Mexican Restaurant - 2 locations. One on 620 (across from WalMart) is closer but the one on 620 in Lakeway has a playscape

Not taking the kids?

Fion in Steiner Ranch. Love this place. Great food, tons of beers and wines.
Ciola's in Lakeway. Great food, but they still allow smoking, which is a big turn-off.
Hudson's on the Bend - pricey but fabulous.

FYI - not a huge fan of the Steakhouse. We really want to like it, but we just can't. Has all the expense of an upscale steakhouse, with the ambiance of a sports bar. It's like they can't decide if they want to be a bar, family restaurant, or high-end steakhouse. You will drop $150 for dinner for two, but you will also be very close to the huge big screen TVs showing the game and a bunch of people yelling every time their team scores. Not a high end atmosphere IMO.Service is pretty spotty too, considering the prices.

Welcome to the Ranch!

Old 06-30-2010, 12:53 PM

Heres the menu for the steakhouse: http://www.steinersteakhouse.com/page/menu.pdf (broken link)
You pay what for an average steak at a chain like the Outback? $25? Really my only complaint with it was the steak was undercooked one time. Which for a high end steak restaurant is a carnal sin. Overall I think its quite good however, the steak is high quality. Also as far as the ambiance the fact of Austin is that any restaurant where people cant come in shorts and a t-shirt wont fare well here unless its downtown to service the politicos. The techies and trust fund types around here dont like to dress up.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:21 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,138,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Heres the menu for the steakhouse: http://www.steinersteakhouse.com/page/menu.pdf (broken link) Really my only complaint with it was the steak was undercooked one time. Which for a high end steak restaurant is a carnal sin. .
The cardinal sin for any steakhouse is to overcook their steaks... Steaks should be eaten rare or medium rare.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:22 PM

17 posts, read 50,465 times
Curious: how do you undercook a steak? Serve it rare, baby!

Seriously, though, thank you all so much for the recommendations. I'll probably end up printing this list and hitting all the places mentioned in the first two weeks there.

Any and all others appreciated. Keep 'em coming!

Old 06-30-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
The cardinal sin for any steakhouse is to overcook their steaks... Steaks should be eaten rare or medium rare.
It is quite possible for someone to find a medium rare steak enjoyable but be disgusted with a rare steak. Likewise some people cant stand medium rare and enjoy only medium steaks. Theres room for everyones preferences to be respected and if I'm paying $40 for a steak it should be cooked to order hopefully we can all agree on that fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin