Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 08:52 AM

172 posts, read 410,025 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me some good/bad experiencers with home builders and their products. We are looking specifically at Taylor Morrison and Drees. All the model homes look beautiful, but I am wondering about the quality of products they use and how they hold up. Any info is appreciated - Thanks!!

Karen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 10:03 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
Most all builders use the same materials. Same brands, same manufacturers, some same labor... You're looking at two higher end builders. Yes, they build with very nice quality. Every builder is going to have some type of complaint about them out there on the internet, but as a whole, they are both very good builders.

Something I always tell my clients is that if they want to buy in a neighborhood where Drees is building, to buy the competetor in order for the Drees homes to help increase your equity. Drees is all about bells and whistles, and you'll pay heavily for those extras. They are very nice, and many people don't realize that their home will not look like the model. If you don't plan on living life like the model home, go with one of the other builders, like TaylorMorrison, and allow the Drees buyers to bring up your value...

The neighborhood I'm building in has both Taylor and Drees, and we chose to use the third option since they had the only good lot left, but Taylor and Drees will both help increase my future value!

Old 11-11-2008, 10:07 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
I try to look at how well a builder uses space. Morrison (haven't looked since they became Taylor-Morrison) was excellent with that in the homes that I've seen. The attention to detail there tends to carry over to the attention to detail in other things. Bells and whistles can be added, but the basic design is what it is.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:42 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,122,230 times
We are building with Drees and are extremely happy with the quality of work. I was not pleased with the way another builder (Meritage) slapped together my neighbors house. Drees has bent over backward to make us happy and we are very happy with them.

When we priced our house vs. the other three builders in our area we found that the Drees was actually cheaper than Taylor and Meritage. Of course we went in with our real estate agent and bargained with them to make a reasonable deal for both parties.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:29 AM

142 posts, read 455,297 times
Red face Don't purchase the product upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI2Texas View Post
Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me some good/bad experiencers with home builders and their products. We are looking specifically at Taylor Morrison and Drees. All the model homes look beautiful, but I am wondering about the quality of products they use and how they hold up. Any info is appreciated - Thanks!!

Karen
Karen one thing that might be of use to you no matter what track builder you pick is this. They are going to use the basic building product that are required to build the home. You as a consumer do not want to upgrade your products with them such as: If they offer a vinly floor and you want a tile floor do not buy the upgrade. Except what they are offering. It will be less expense for you in the long run. You will have all the time in world to shop and upgrade your lighting, floors, carpet, appliances etc. not to mention you will find better deals on your own. Put the upgrades in the structure of the home not the fixtures.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:33 AM

142 posts, read 455,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI2Texas View Post
Hi everyone,

Karen

P.S. Love the quote "living in the real world" I wonder how many people really know what that quote means. I too am living in the real world. Good luck on your search for a builder.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:58 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,432,372 times
Drees is not a track builder.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:22 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Drees is not a track builder.
Yes they are. They just have a few more bells and whistles as standard features that other builders would call upgrades.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:41 PM

52 posts, read 284,375 times
I had a very good experience with Morrison Home. They have good pricing on upgrades when compared to Meritage or Wilshire Homes. I'm not sure about Drees pricing though. Construction quality is very good and when I purchased house they had 2 year blanket warranty which no other builder had.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:08 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,122,230 times
Drees tends to have a lot of stuff bundled in compared to other builders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin