Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 06:30 AM

172 posts, read 410,590 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for your replies. The homes are soooo beautiful and it's hard to make a decision. I want all of them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 07:15 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,437,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Yes they are. They just have a few more bells and whistles as standard features that other builders would call upgrades.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but track and semi-custom are two very different things. KB Homes, Lennar, that's track. Better quality equals semi-custom.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:00 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,434,410 times
Agreed. Tract homes can have upgrades, but not structural changes. Semi-custom homes can have some structural changes. Custom homes are, well, custom.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:04 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,115,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble, but track and semi-custom are two very different things. KB Homes, Lennar, that's track. Better quality equals semi-custom.
Nope!

Semi-custom involves an architect, and a builder that are working with you. (It maybe semi-custom instead of fully custom because the builder may own the lot). And you the buyer are taking out a construction loan and paying for the construction. Mass builders (track) operate at a very different level, managing raw land, having a big plan book, and they finance their own construction, they may "sell" it to you first, but you only close after completion and you only have your ernest money at stake.

Fully custom involves a person buying a lot, then hiring an architect, then hiring a builder and financing the whole thing.

The quality of the material is not at issue.

Some one has done a sales job if you think Drees or any track builder is actually "semi-custom."

Old 11-15-2008, 08:21 AM

Hey, guys? This is a little thing, but it's like fingernails on a blackboard for me. (Sorry, I'm an editor in another life.) It's "tract", not "track".

Old 11-15-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Nope!

Semi-custom involves an architect, and a builder that are working with you. (It maybe semi-custom instead of fully custom because the builder may own the lot). And you the buyer are taking out a construction loan and paying for the construction. Mass builders (track) operate at a very different level, managing raw land, having a big plan book, and they finance their own construction, they may "sell" it to you first, but you only close after completion and you only have your ernest money at stake.

Fully custom involves a person buying a lot, then hiring an architect, then hiring a builder and financing the whole thing.

The quality of the material is not at issue.

Some one has done a sales job if you think Drees or any track builder is actually "semi-custom."
Nope, wrong again. I think the south has this problem. I'm from Seattle and Chicago and there is a difference between tract and semi custom. Unless you have lived in these places, you wouldn't know that. For example, Newmark is different than it's more semi custom unit Federick Harris.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Nope, wrong again. I think the south has this problem. I'm from Seattle and Chicago and there is a difference between tract and semi custom. Unless you have lived in these places, you wouldn't know that. For example, Newmark is different than it's more semi custom unit Federick Harris.
Now, there's an assumption!

It's possible that the terms are used differently in the places you came from and where you are now (many are), but it doesn't mean that the south (or Texas, not the same thing) has a "problem".

Old 11-15-2008, 09:50 AM

I've worked in the construction industry and I know the difference.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:16 PM

835 posts, read 1,323,058 times
Quote:
I've worked in the construction industry and I know the difference.

Yeah I used to build multimillion dollar homes back east...until I realized I don't like people!

Any custom builder in Texas would be insulted to have you compare a tract builder like Drees, Newmark, Meritage, Toll and others to them.

If you can't make a major structural change to your home than it is a tract or production home. You can move most (but not all) windows, doors, non-load bearing walls and so on...but you can't change from Delta to Kohler...why because they have no contract with Kohler....you can't move a load bearing wall...why because an architect will have to be involved and resubmitting the plans to the city. This is the difference in production vs. custom. Production/Tract builders use lower end materials than a custom builder and buy them in bulk for a lower price. They tend to use lower skilled workers as well and this is the reason you will find some dissatisfaction from home owners.

Custom builders rely on their reputation and word of mouth and therefore use skilled labor and high end materials....how high end depends on your budget.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:09 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,127,834 times
Well, I have Drees and well moved walls, and changed the floor plan to our liking. I don''t really care the difference because they did what I want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin