Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 03:42 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,016,561 times

Advertisements

So, I am relenting and having a yard sale this Saturday.

I am at a loss at how much to price books at. I was thinking $1 for paperbacks and hardbacks $3 or 2/$5.

We were thinking baby clothes for $1 per piece.

Does those sound like a "yard sale" prices? I have no idea since I've never been to one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 04:05 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,465,790 times
Don't know about the books...I usually see them for less, but you could start there and then mark them down after the good/popular ones are gone.

Baby clothes price sounds good. If something is especially new looking or a designer brand (baby gap, etc.) I'd mark it 2 or 3X that.

For other items, I usually start at 1/4 retail and then go up or down depending on the condition, demand, etc.

Good luck! I usually get rained out

Old 09-03-2008, 01:31 PM

47 posts, read 210,257 times
Books are really hard to sell. I don't think people are interested in going through them. Go with the prices you suggested, be prepared to mark them down throughout the day.....and people always haggle!

$1 is a great price for baby clothes. If you have the possibility of hanging some of them on hangers, you'll get more that way. For example, hang up the dresses and ask $3.

People will haggle no matter how low you price.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:55 PM

180 posts, read 794,048 times
I see and sell books for 25 cents to 50 cents paperback. Hardback $1. Books are tough to sell at yardsales. Ended up donating the rest of mine, even at that price. If they are in decent shape maybe you can put them on amazon or half.com?

Baby clothes- nice ones (good condition and/or name brand), put on a hanger, string along from your garage or something and sell for $1.
"Play clothes condition" -25 cents to 50 cents. If you have a bunch and can put in individual boxes by size (mark the size in big letters on the front of the box), you will do well and might even have someone make an offer to buy them by the box. If you have garbage bags and clothes sitting on huge piles on the ground, prepare to get the least amount for them. Some people (I admit, I am one) don't like to dig.

Good luck to you!

Old 09-03-2008, 02:26 PM

673 posts, read 2,716,942 times
Goodwill ranges $2-5 for kids' clothing.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:36 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
For some items, you can do better just taking them to Goodwill and writing off the value at tax-time. Especially clothes, which you can write off at their resale value. The savings in taxes may be higher than what you could sell them for.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:53 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,465,790 times
Has anyone taken books to Halfprice Books? I'm wondering what kind of money they give you.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:16 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastea View Post
Has anyone taken books to Halfprice Books? I'm wondering what kind of money they give you.
It varies, they have some database they consult.. I've done it several times. I think it's less than <1/4 the original price most all the time. You bring em to the store, bring it to their "buy" desk and they'll take a few minutes and come up with an offer. Works pretty well. Great store.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:54 PM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,707,346 times
TexasTea
We took books to 1/2 price and did not get rich by any stretch of the imagination. I can not remember exactly, but I want to say about .25-.50 each?
But at least they are not in a landfill or my house!

Achtungpv and others,
I hope I am not offending anyone but I suggest learning some basic Spanish before the sale! At the least learn the numbers and basic phrases, because I have always had lots of Spanish speaking patrons at my sales and it really helps!
And use all those plastic heb bags for people to put their stuff in! Saving the planet, one bag at a time!

Old 09-03-2008, 10:45 PM

37 posts, read 163,584 times
If you have a lot of books you've finished and you enjoy reading, I would recommend listing them on Swaptree.com - you can swap them for other books, dvds, etc. that you want with other Swaptree users. Doesn't cost anything except the postage to mail them.

I know that doesn't really answer your question about the yard sale, but I thought you might like to know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin