Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 8,207 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I recently purchased a two-story four unit complex in south Austin, 2 units on the ground floor, 2 units upstairs. Everyone enters through the same wide front entrance (approximately 8-10' wide) into a smaller inside area that includes the front doors for the ground units and stairs leading up to the second floor units.

For aesthetic reasons I would like to put a rectangular pergola (approximately 2-3' wide and 10-12' long and 10' high) in front of the front entrance way. I did not plan to attach it to the house, instead the pergola would be separated by about 2 1/2 feet from the building.

I would like to know if I need a building permit from the city to do this?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 05:23 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Yes, see the FAQ.

http://austintexas.gov/department/planning/faq

Old 09-28-2012, 09:47 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,979,922 times
Are you sure about that? I would have thought that would count as an "accessory structure" which (probably) doesn't require a permit.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...ty-permit.html

Old 09-28-2012, 10:12 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
From CaptRn's link:

"The City of Austin requires a permit for any person, firm or corporation to erect, construct, enlarge, alter, repair, improve, remove, convert, move or demolish any building or structure within the City’s zoning jurisdiction
"

Those dimensions described sound like a structure , not just a trellis for vines to climb. Especially as it will be so visible, I'd likely seek 'permission' rather than 'forgiveness' on this one.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:16 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlaser View Post
Hi,
I recently purchased a two-story four unit complex in south Austin, 2 units on the ground floor, 2 units upstairs. Everyone enters through the same wide front entrance (approximately 8-10' wide) into a smaller inside area that includes the front doors for the ground units and stairs leading up to the second floor units.

For aesthetic reasons I would like to put a rectangular pergola (approximately 2-3' wide and 10-12' long and 10' high) in front of the front entrance way. I did not plan to attach it to the house, instead the pergola would be separated by about 2 1/2 feet from the building.

I would like to know if I need a building permit from the city to do this?

Thank you.
Take a photo of the complex and a photo of the pergola that you want to put up and ask them if you need a permit to put it up. If you do you are already there, if you don't it is still not a wasted trip just be sure to write down the time, date and whom you spoke with when you do go.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:39 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
As long as it is not bigger than 100 sq.ft. and is at least 5 feet from the side property line easement and 10 feet from the front easement(not including overhanging eves)
You will be good to go.

Portable buildings and metal lawn sheds, do not require a permit, if you the homeowner, are the one building it.

You may have an HOA you don't know about!!! They can ruin good intentions quickly!

You never know, get your gas and plumbing lines marked!

Old 09-28-2012, 02:33 PM

912 posts, read 1,285,547 times
You might also want to check into ADA requirements, as two feet seems too narrow for a wheelchair to get through, depending on how the sidewalks are situated. I'm not remotely qualified about any of this so I don't know if those would apply to an existing structure or not but it's worth checking so you don't get into trouble there either.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Are you sure about that? I would have thought that would count as an "accessory structure" which (probably) doesn't require a permit.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...ty-permit.html
I've been told in the past and recently that an accessory structure can't have a permanent foundation. A pergola with posts set into the ground probably will be considered a permanent foundation. It won't cost the OP anything to go down and verify that with the permit office.

But go early and plan on waiting an hour or two, they are busy with a huge backlog.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
As long as it is not bigger than 100 sq.ft. and is at least 5 feet from the side property line easement and 10 feet from the front easement(not including overhanging eves)
You will be good to go.

Portable buildings and metal lawn sheds, do not require a permit, if you the homeowner, are the one building it.

You may have an HOA you don't know about!!! They can ruin good intentions quickly!

You never know, get your gas and plumbing lines marked!
An easement and a property line are different things, you seem to have them confused. The front property line usually has a 25' set back requirement. The rear property line setback is 10' and side yard setback is 5', but can be more of you are on a corner. I think it is 15' in that case.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:59 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Definitely get a ruling from the city before you do anything.

A very good friend recently had a small playhouse built for his son, custom designed, very nice looking, flew his brother across country to build it professionally, spent some coin on the project, then had it red tagged within a week. Seems he misunderstood one of the clauses about where he could put it, a neighbor complained, and ka-pow!

For just under $1,000 the city said he could apply for a waiver, no guarantee he'd get it. He declined, had it pulled apart.

I asked why he hadn't checked with the city first, and he said "I didn't think it was that big a deal."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin