Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2013, 06:05 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,058,820 times

Advertisements

My neighbor came over this morning to show me a leak coming from my side of the meter in our (shared) front yard. He thinks it's coming from the meter and the pipe adjoining it. It seems to be just a small area and just happened - since his son noticed it the other day while playing near it.

It seems to be a "norm" in our neighborhood, since I've seen a few folks in the neighborhood with "lakes" in their front yards from this happening.

What's the normal cost to get something like this fixed - to have someone dig a hole and repair the PVC pipe in there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 10:50 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,083,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
My neighbor came over this morning to show me a leak coming from my side of the meter in our (shared) front yard. He thinks it's coming from the meter and the pipe adjoining it. It seems to be just a small area and just happened - since his son noticed it the other day while playing near it.

It seems to be a "norm" in our neighborhood, since I've seen a few folks in the neighborhood with "lakes" in their front yards from this happening.

What's the normal cost to get something like this fixed - to have someone dig a hole and repair the PVC pipe in there?
If it is a short section of pipe that has broken, $150-200. It could easily drive your water bill up if you don't fix it soon.

When that happened to us the water company adjusted my bill downwards after I provided them with proof that we had the leak fixed, a receipt from the plumber. In my case it was a leak in the landscape sprinkler line.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:41 PM

That's what it ended up being. Some moron who used to live in this house mickey-moused some sprinkler pipes to the main line. The glue eventually corroded and caused the pipe to break. My neighbor dug it up and fixed it tonight. Good as new!

I tried calling a few plumbers on Friday and they were all "too busy" for me - even with no running water in my house since Thursday night. Nice.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:31 AM

55 posts, read 136,112 times
If break is outside your meter - in city lines, city should fix it. Inform them.
if break is from your house side of the meter, it is your responsibility to fix it.

you can find that only after you call a plumber to dig to the location of the leak.

And yes, city can adjust water bill but pay attention to this urgently because it is not about your bill, it is more about wasting precious city water.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:45 PM

It's already been fixed. We caught the leak within a day or two of it popping. My neighbor replaced the pipe last night where it had broke.

I called three plumbers and all of them were "too busy" to come out until next week sometime.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:28 PM

55 posts, read 136,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
It's already been fixed. We caught the leak within a day or two of it popping. My neighbor replaced the pipe last night where it had broke.

I called three plumbers and all of them were "too busy" to come out until next week sometime.
Thanks a lot mickey. Yes, somehow all types of contractors including plumbers, roofers, cleaners, landscapers etc are all getting busy in Austin.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:17 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,083,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin0 View Post
Thanks a lot mickey. Yes, somehow all types of contractors including plumbers, roofers, cleaners, landscapers etc are all getting busy in Austin.
There is currently a huge push to build an enormous amount of apartments in Austin, to absorb the large numbers of people moving here. In addition other commercial construction is picking up. Given the number of liscensed tradesmen who had to move out of Austin during the downturn, it doesn't surprise me that there would be a shortage now.

These graphics are nice in that they update themselves. So anyone reading this post in the future may see something different from what we see today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin