Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 07:15 PM

12 posts, read 84,985 times

Advertisements

Anybody know if a city of Austin permit is needed to pour a concrete slab that is 12 ft x 12ft? It will be located adjacent and connecting to the existing house slab. I have tried calling the permit office and have been told somebody will call me back but day 2 and no answer. What should I expect to pay for a standard 144 square foot slab to be poured? Oh and my backyard has a slope away from the house. Any help or feedback is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 07:19 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
yes, most likely you will need a permit and probably a pre-pour inspection. Concrete is surprisingly expensive. What are you planning to put on the slab?

Old 12-18-2012, 07:22 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
The biggest consideration is probably the impermeable cover restriction. Whether your slab will be permissable depends on what percentage of your lot is already covered.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:34 PM

We have a back porch area (12 ft x 4) that is covered by the same roof as the house so we just want to extend that small area to put a patio table, chairs and my bbq pit that will be uncovered. My wife's cousin has a masonry business so he would be traveling with his crew about 200 miles to build it and want to make sure we have all the proper permits if required.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:47 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utlnghrn77 View Post
We have a back porch area (12 ft x 4) that is covered by the same roof as the house so we just want to extend that small area to put a patio table, chairs and my bbq pit that will be uncovered. My wife's cousin has a masonry business so he would be traveling with his crew about 200 miles to build it and want to make sure we have all the proper permits if required.
Yes, I understand. But there are strict standards about how much of your property can be covered with impermeable material like concrete, so that rain cannot get through it. That's why you need a permit.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:53 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Be forewarned that the permit office has been overwhelmed with permit applications for this past year and may still be slow in processing permits. They hired on some additional staff several months back to try and help with the backlog. I have found that the staff does try to be helpful even though they have been overwhelmed for some time.

City Hall overwhelmed - Austin Business Journal

I have never gotten a response from the permit office by phone. You need to go to the office in person. Walk in hours for Residential reviews is limitedto mornings. Get there early, they stop at 11 AM regardless of how long you were sitting there waiting. Monday - Friday; 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Study the Checklist and Application in advance so you can ask intelligent questions about it when you meet with a reviewer. Even better take a stab at filling it out, they will point out any deficiencies and you can submit it after talking to them and making corrections if needed.

For residential property the maximum amount of impervious cover is 45% of your lot size. You will have to apply for a permit and provide a drawing showing the site plan of your house and calculations demonstrating that the amount of impervious cover is less then 45%. You should not have any problem getting a permit if your site, with the added slab, has less impervious cover then 45%. If you are close to that amount you might consider a wood deck, only 50% of the area counts as impervious cover.

Permits | AustinTexas.gov - The Official Website of the City of Austin

Residential Building Review | AustinTexas.gov - The Official Website of the City of Austin

You can download the Residential Permit Application here. http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/def...permit_app.pdf

Checklist http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/def...-checklist.pdf

You should verify whether you will be required to have a structural engineer or architect provide sealed drawings of the foundation and inspect it in order to get the construction approved by the City. I had to do that for a couple of simple concrete footings I put in for a wood deck on the back of my house. I would expect that if your slab is simple flatwork like a sidewalk or driveway that would not be required.

Last edited by CptnRn; 12-19-2012 at 12:01 PM..

Old 12-19-2012, 05:40 PM

Thanks for the input

Old 12-20-2012, 09:21 AM

251 posts, read 398,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Yes, I understand. But there are strict standards about how much of your property can be covered with impermeable material like concrete, so that rain cannot get through it. That's why you need a permit.
Yes there are strict standards, unless you are a big developer with lots of money. It would likely be less painful for you to learn how to do the job yourself than to deal with the city. Just my opinion, and not saying you should do that. I'm all for good government, and strengthening local government at the expense of state and federal. But when you can't put in a 12' x 12' patio in your own back yard without paying the city, and having them inspect your yard first, then it's gone too far.... in my opinion.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:39 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Given the slope of the yard and imagining the fill needed to support the patio addition, I'm liking the deck surround/extension idea more and more(except for that pesky BBQ pit challenge ) . Good luck with the project!

Old 12-20-2012, 12:29 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve78757 View Post
Yes there are strict standards, unless you are a big developer with lots of money. It would likely be less painful for you to learn how to do the job yourself than to deal with the city. Just my opinion, and not saying you should do that. I'm all for good government, and strengthening local government at the expense of state and federal. But when you can't put in a 12' x 12' patio in your own back yard without paying the city, and having them inspect your yard first, then it's gone too far.... in my opinion.
It does not matter if you do the job yourself, you still are required to get a permit if you are in the City limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin