Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 11:12 PM

73 posts, read 241,839 times

Advertisements

I was shown a house whose floor plan is good. The back yard is very small, only a bit bigger than its patio. But one of the side yards is big, like the normal 0.3 acre back yard size. This is the first time ever I have seen a single family house with such a tiny back yard. I wonder whether such layout is weird, and it may be regarded as a major drawback when buying a house.

I need your honest opinion. Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 11:33 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,544,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorInCA View Post
I was shown a house whose floor plan is good. The back yard is very small, only a bit bigger than its patio. But one of the side yards is big, like the normal 0.3 acre back yard size. This is the first time ever I have seen a single family house with such a tiny back yard. I wonder whether such layout is weird, and it may be regarded as a major drawback when buying a house.

I need your honest opinion. Thank you very much.
That sounds like many corner lots I've seen. While the back might not be 'super small', the side yard is huge. If it's fenced in and can be used for kids and pets, the large side yard could be attractive. If it's just a big honkin' mowing and maintenance pit, I wouldn't be interested in it. What's behind the back property line? If it's another back yard, that would be a turn-off to me. If it's green space, I could live with it. If that large side yard provides a 'buffer' between you and the next-door neighbors, that could also be seen as a positive.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:26 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,913 times
We looked at a house that backed up to open space. The back yard was maybe only 15 feet deep, but this opened up to large side yards on both sides. I thought this was perfectly acceptable. We didn't buy the house because it was too small for us (I think it was about 1700 sq. ft.), but personally, I liked the layout of the yard. The side yards were still behind the fence, so they would have been just as useful as a back yard directly behind the house.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:38 AM

509 posts, read 1,544,134 times
This is a tough call. As a parent of three young kids, I like to keep an eye on them when they're in the backyard. If they were around the corner in a side yard, I could not do that as effectively. It would really depend on the sightlines from the house (ie: if the family room or kitchen overlook the side yard).

Old 11-03-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
That sounds like many corner lots I've seen. While the back might not be 'super small', the side yard is huge. If it's fenced in and can be used for kids and pets, the large side yard could be attractive. If it's just a big honkin' mowing and maintenance pit, I wouldn't be interested in it. What's behind the back property line? If it's another back yard, that would be a turn-off to me. If it's green space, I could live with it. If that large side yard provides a 'buffer' between you and the next-door neighbors, that could also be seen as a positive.
Thank you so much, 10scoachrick. The lot is in a cul-de-sac. Yes, its back property line is another back yard. Part of the large side yard has metal fence, and kids can play there. But lacking the privacy may be an issue.

There are not many options on the market now, so I am still debating on this house.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:16 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,913 times
I think Dr. Mom is right. It depends on the sight lines, the fences, privacy issues, as these all impact how you feel about your children playing in the side yard. If your kitchen window and other windows face the side yard, and if you feel good about the fence situation, it may be OK. Go with your comfort.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mom View Post
This is a tough call. As a parent of three young kids, I like to keep an eye on them when they're in the backyard. If they were around the corner in a side yard, I could not do that as effectively. It would really depend on the sightlines from the house (ie: if the family room or kitchen overlook the side yard).
Right, I am also a parent with a young kid. I agree with every word you said. Unfortunately, the large fenced side yard is facing the master bedroom. I could not watch my kid from the kitchen or family room.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:38 PM

509 posts, read 1,544,134 times
Quote:
Right, I am also a parent with a young kid. I agree with every word you said. Unfortunately, the large fenced side yard is facing the master bedroom. I could not watch my kid from the kitchen or family room.
Sorry, that would be a deal breaker for me. Is it possible for you to wait until Spring aproaches to buy? Many more people list in the Spring than over the Winter, so you may have more choices.

If not, maybe you could build some kind of covered patio along the side of the house and watch your little one from there.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:42 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,121,973 times
Quote:
I would not buy it as we simply wouldnt use it.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:00 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,544,472 times
Since we don't have kids and don't leave the Scottie-girl outside for very long, the lack of sight lines wouldn't bother us. However, the proximity of the neighbors behind could be a concern. For us non-parents, the 'buffer' on the side of the master bedroom would actually be a plus. I'll bet you will get all sorts of recommendations from C-D-ers if you reveal the part of town you're interested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: