Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 04:20 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,188,130 times

Advertisements

I'm sad to hear WF is laying off some people. Guess I won't be working there any time soon.

statesman.com (http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/wholefoods/entries/2008/08/15/more_on_whole_foods_layoffs.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 04:58 PM

485 posts, read 1,959,780 times
I'm not really surprised though. I imagine that people are not shopping there as much as they once did (including us). Their prices used to be slightly higher than other stores - maybe 20-30% - and they do carry things that HEB doesn't, but recently we've noticed a huge increase in prices and it's really disappointing. We've found other alternatives, and now only go there to get some specialty brands/items. If they don't get their prices in check, they are going to price themselves right out of the supermarket business, especially now that HEB and Target and others are carrying some variety of organic brands.

Recent comparisons of exact same items:
Organic bananas - WF 1.99/lb - HEB .89/lb
Kids organic bagged drinks - WF 5.99reg/3.99 onsale - HEB 3.49reg/2.49onsale
Organic Yogurt - WF 1.29 - HEB .75
Kids organic unsweetend applesauce 4-pk - WF 2.99 - HEB 1.99

Old 08-15-2008, 05:37 PM

509 posts, read 1,545,182 times
Default Central Market Prices

Are the prices at Central Market more reasonable? I've never been and am curious about the store.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mom View Post
Are the prices at Central Market more reasonable? I've never been and am curious about the store.
Oddly, Central Market prices are higher than HEB prices, but still cheaper than WF. Example: organic bananas are .89 at HEB and 1.29 at CM. They have a great meat dept and an enormous variety of fruits/veg and a big wine and cheese selection. I don't go often b/c they are far from home and the parking is atrocious.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:35 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,110,862 times
Central Market is owned by HEB and generally, prices for the same items will be the same at CM and HEB. But CM will not have the sale prices that HEB does and it is a different product mix.

Generally people are either "Whole Foods people" or Central Market people. I am a CMer! Years ago when there was only the one Central Market in the whole world, we turned down a job in northern CA because we were stricken by the fact we'd have to give up our Central Market.

PS, Organic bananas are NOT .89 my HEB! I could only wish. Regular bananas are about that price but not organic. You are lucky.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:25 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,336,186 times
Central Market is a whole different animal. It's the kind of place where you can buy six different types of peaches, where all their meat is PGA, where seafood is flown in fresh a few times a week, and where bread is made every day. That being said, yes, you have to pay for it, but it's well worth it. When you're at the store, don't be shy....ask for a sample of whatever fruit you're thinking of buying. In fact, ask for a sample of anything. Also, if you buy something you just don't like, take it back and they'll give you your money back, no questions asked and no receipt required. They also have live music out on the patio and a great cafe. As you can tell, I'm a fan. It might cost more, but you definitely get your money's worth.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Many of the HEB's carry the CM brands now; not fresh fruits/vegtables/meats, but plenty of canned and boxed good now. At least that's what's showing up in my local HEB (Pflugerville).

Old 08-15-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Central Market is owned by HEB and generally, prices for the same items will be the same at CM and HEB. But CM will not have the sale prices that HEB does and it is a different product mix.
I have done some price comparisons and prices can be 10%+ more than HEB in general, but they are still good prices. Some things are the same though. I think I noticed boxed goods were different prices - cookies and crackers and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
PS, Organic bananas are NOT .89 my HEB! I could only wish. Regular bananas are about that price but not organic. You are lucky.
Hmm...I go to the one on Braker at 183. The last time I was there - this past week - they were .89/lb. I'm looking at a Central Mkt receipt right now from 8/5 where the organic bananas are .89/lb.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:30 AM

1,133 posts, read 4,188,130 times
I love Central Market too -- one of my fav. things was having a glass of wine out on the patio and listening to a band. How nice Austin has a choice. Here in Atlanta, it's just WF. There are a few crappy co-ops around but I never shop there. We actually just got Trader Joe's recently and it's pretty cool but it's NO Central Market.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:03 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,740,504 times
This news, if it is indicative of the market as a whole, is not good new for the likes of Sunflower which is planning to open a new store here in South Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin