Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 07:55 AM

155 posts, read 558,769 times

Advertisements

Well, my boyfriend and I had pretty much wanted to pack it up and move to Austin. But hearing that Dell laid off all those workers has freaked him out pretty much. Would really hate to get there and fight the already unemployed for the same job, but to throw in over a thousand newly unemployed people...it's just scary to think about with the recession going on. I know Texas is not hit as hard as everywhere else..yet.

Maybe they'll go to Dallas where they got like 30k+ new jobs....?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 09:21 AM

746 posts, read 3,727,448 times
I would make sure your boyfriend's field is not related to tech, as AMD just laid off thousands a few days ago as well. Dell just announced a bunch more layoffs at corporate headquarters yesterday, including the good, white-collar positions. Word is they laid off a ream of temps from Spherion as well, though they don't have to announce that in the news figures, as they were never officially working for Dell. It's a scary time for Austin's economy, as they lean on tech for the majority of their well-paying jobs, and don't have much in the way of any other fields, such as corporate headquarters and finance, to bolster much of the high end of the pay scale. Much of Austin leans towards service industry, per the entertainment district and such, and much of the rest, such as the governmental sector, are on pay grades, and don't pay that great. That could put a wallop in the local economy. Per the huge influx of residents that came the last few years, I can easily see a huge run on employment agencies in the future, which are overwhelmed by candidates now in much of the country. Being largely shut out of IT, UT jobs, and state and local gov't jobs, which are hard to get even in good times, you may see a lot of people leave the city if that happens, or queue up in large numbers for anything they can get their hands on. And you can bet that many places will favor long-term locals over recent out-of-staters with ink still dry on their drivers licenses.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:26 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
They are called "stealth layoffs". If it's under a certain number they do not have to report it to the City. If they don't report it then it doesn't make the news.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:49 AM

184 posts, read 1,007,314 times
Get the facts straight and stop spreading panic.

AMD laid off 215 people from Austin, not thousands

Old 04-18-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2austin View Post

Sorry, I stand corrected. But, there are some pretty large harbingers of bleeding to come, and the 215 may not be isolated as well. Again, hard to say how the tech industry will react to the national slowdown. Perhaps the sector will be resilient and bounce back from it just fine. I do apologize for sounding alarmist on this, and I'm probably carrying it too far, but, on the other hand, again, hard to say how the local tech sector will react. On another positive note, Dell's layoffs are a reflection on their lack of investment in R&D, and being, essentially, a one-trick-pony, just focusing on the paradigm of low-priced custom, internet-based, desktop manufacturing. When consumers started holding onto their desktops, and getting away from buying them period in many cases, focusing on laptops, that paradigm got old, and Dell looked like the glorified plastic-housing assembly plant it was all along. They really didn't have a back-up plan, other than underpricing desktops, and had no skunkworks to come up with more novel ideas or applications. The rest of the local tech market seems to be more high-tech and software based, and able to change and adapt to the times while still thriving. Nothing is writen in stone just yet per the local tech economy, but its worth keeping a good eye on.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:49 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Right now, based on what the tech companies just reported for earnings..they are getting the bulk of their profit from overseas, not America.

These are global companies; the overseas profits are their buffer. US only companies don't have that buffer. I'd be more worried about all the banks laying off people as those are while collar workers.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:49 AM

76 posts, read 424,037 times
Lumping hardware and software companies under one umbrella of "technology" is not the best way to view the industry as a whole. Margins are always going to be smaller with a hardware manufacturer than with a software company. There are just a lot more hard costs to factor in. And the layoffs in Austin to date have been more around hardware/manufacturing. I just don't feel like the sky is falling in terms of tech in Austin. It doesn't feel like 2000-2001 even with the current state of the ecomomy as a whole. And believe me, during the tech bust, you could just feel the bad things to come. Now I do feel for the folks in finance and banking. It's quite reminiscent of the dot bomb, and I wouldn't wish something like that on my worst enemy.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:52 AM

1,133 posts, read 4,186,878 times
Are there other companies that are feeling the slowdown? Specifically design firms? I have noticed that there are less job listings lately. It's making me nervous that I won't be able to get a job now. Already there was competition but if people are getting laid off, there's more competition than ever -- and for fewer jobs.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:01 PM

149 posts, read 498,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2austin View Post

Those are just full-time employee. They also terminated some folks who were on contract from what I heard. But you're right, it is not "thousands"

Old 04-18-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDavis View Post
Lumping hardware and software companies under one umbrella of "technology" is not the best way to view the industry as a whole. Margins are always going to be smaller with a hardware manufacturer than with a software company. There are just a lot more hard costs to factor in. And the layoffs in Austin to date have been more around hardware/manufacturing. I just don't feel like the sky is falling in terms of tech in Austin. It doesn't feel like 2000-2001 even with the current state of the ecomomy as a whole. And believe me, during the tech bust, you could just feel the bad things to come. Now I do feel for the folks in finance and banking. It's quite reminiscent of the dot bomb, and I wouldn't wish something like that on my worst enemy.
True. And Austin is more diversified than it was even back in 2001 economically. Every city learns a lesson after they go through that, just like Houston and Denver. And they adapt and change so it doesn't happen again. Sounds like Austin indeed did that. Many people have come here with their own businesses, whether home or brick-and-mortar based as well. I apologize again for being so alarmist with my earlier post on here, as on reflection it indeed seems as if the city should handle this relatively well. Maybe at worst the economy might go flat for a bit, per hiring freezes and spending cutdowns. Again, it won't be across the board, and, luckily, Austin never had a financial district to speak of, so they don't have to worry about the finance and banking end, though funding might be more difficult to obtain for business, developers, and individuals for a spell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin