Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 03:34 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,237,662 times

Advertisements

I just got back from my second trip to Austin. I always enjoy reading other people's thoughts on the place, so I thought I'd write mine here.

I was only there for 3 days looking for a house for rent, so I didn't do too much other than eat and drive around. But I did a LOT of eating and driving around, heh.

The very first thing I was struck by (again) was how great the airport is. Compared to LAX and Logan, it's heaven on earth. VERY clean. And only about 15 or 20 minutes away from downtown! Everyone was super friendly, too. I found this to mostly be the case throughout my stay. I had forgotten about what a great "feel" Austin has, in general. Honestly, it felt to me like coming home. All my worries about moving (what if I don't like it?) disappeared. You can read this board 'til the cows come home but you aren't going to know if you're "really" going to like a place until you go there (and probably not "really really" until you live there).

I love Austin. Hard.

<b>Weather:</b> The first day it was overcast and hot. It was wonderful. I lOVED the oppressive heat. I know it's not for everyone, but it was for me. The next 2 days were sunny, and it could get kind of harsh in the direct sunlight but was very comfortable in the shade. I admit, I wouldn't want to do any manual labor outside in that heat, but sitting around outside drinking margaritas (more my style) was fantastic.

My only problem was the temperature INSIDE places. MAN they keep it cold! In the restaurants (not all), stores, movie theaters (well, the one I was in), etc... I had to bring a sweater everywhere I went and sometimes that still wasn't enough. I'm not usually an outdoor person, but I found myself wanting to be outside all the time. I'll have to bring extra clothes with me wherever I go. And I won't be able to wear shorts or dresses. Kind of a bummer.

<b>Food:</b> I'm a little worried. I'm worried I'm going to become fat in Austin. Almost everywhere I ate was AMAZINGLY good. Really really good. I highly recommend Magnolia Cafe for breakfast, Homeslice for lunch (the pizza was delicious), and Mars for dinner. All on South Congress.

When I walked into Mars, I was pretty dubious. "Hi. I'm an attractive, successful, and confident woman in my 30s who likes the finer things in life. But I'm still in touch with my bohemian roots!" I said to my husband as we walked up to it. (this is often how I describe things, places, and people) We sat inside, and it was kind of loud and kind of expensive but my dinner was insanely INSANELY good! I got this dish that had a portion of their salmon and a portion of their steak. Things looked pretty small, gourmet, and stacked w/ droplets of dipping sauces and the like. I rolled my eyes a little when it was served. Then I took a bite and oh my god. Sorry I'm going on and on about it, but seriously get over there and get that un-pronouncable dish! (just to warn you, it was $31 for the plate but very worth it)

I also will probably not eat any other pizza than HomeSlice (not that I tried any others). My only major beef with them is that there is only one and that they don't deliver. That's a problem.

<b>Policemen:</b> I've never seen so many police cars in one city in my life! I suppose this is a good thing, and it made me feel pretty safe, but I also always feel nervous around cops. Like I'm doing something wrong even when I'm not. I figured this would go away when I hit, oh, THIRTY-FIVE. But I guess I was wrong. I looked for the "Who Wants To Be A Superhero" guy, but I didn't see him. Bummer.

<b>Traffic:</b> I definitely saw more traffic this time. On I-35 and on another highway (Mopac maybe?) so I can see what people are talking about. I'm not sure why I-35 goes down to 2 lanes just north of downtown, either. Weird. Still nothing compared to the horror that is NYC, Boston, or LA. (on the way home from LAX - a two hour affair - we were in 6 lanes of stand-still traffic.) Other than the highways, there was very little traffic. Besides than all the one-way streets (something I'll have to get used to again) and the LOOOOOONG traffic lights (why?), driving in Austin is pretty great.

<b>Friendliness factor:</b> Again, most of the people we ran into were super friendly. There were, of course, some exceptions but for the most part, I was pretty blown away again by how nice everyone was.

What else? My husband wants to live at Waterloo records. I want to live at Book People. We loved the South Congress area. We stayed at the Austin Motel, which I HIGHLY recommend (stayed at the Omni last time. Never again). Next door at Joe's coffee, they have outdoor movies or TV (on a big screen) or something like that on Thursday nights. It looked like fun. There was a lot of outdoor music going on up and down the street at night, which I liked. I got charged $25 for a woman at "Pinks" just to trim my bangs, which was pretty horrifying. I liked the place itself, but I guess I'll have to find somewhere else to get my hair cut.

I met another woman from the Boston area that was staying at my motel. She had been thinking about moving to Austin and was there to check it out. She liked it, but said it wasn't for her. I totally get it as I don't think it's for everyone. But it is for us! We're moving in a month. YAY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 04:27 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,071,860 times
Loved your post! Thanks!

Old 07-19-2008, 05:05 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,904,336 times
Did you find a good place to live? I know what a PIA it can be. We were here this exact same week last year to find our spot.

Great post. We live near SoCo, so I'm feeling your excitement. My friends stayed at the Austin Motel when they came for a visit and loved it...they were in the "African Room"...Funny description of Mars I'm generally dismissive of people and places that are too cool(probably cuz I wish I was that cool), but we liked it as well. Just got apps though.

Good luck with the move!

Old 07-19-2008, 06:55 PM

979 posts, read 2,957,433 times
I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to Austin and found a place to live here. I agree that the Austin airport is so much nicer and more calming than almost any other airport in the country. The only downside is a lack of direct flights, but that has improved greatly in the last few years (although we've had a bit of a setback lately).

As an Austinite who has also spent a few years living in Los Angeles, I think the one thing you'll find here is not that we lack good tasting food, it's just that we lack the variety and number of options that you are used to in Southern California.

Personally, I take occasional trips to bigger cities to fill some of my cravings for variety since eating out here can get a bit boring after a while.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:17 PM

We DID find a great place to live! Just east of SoCo & I-35. Very excited about it.

Personally, I've never been wild about the food in SoCal. Boston, NYC, Chicago all have much better food options, in my opinion. Granted, I wasn't in Austin for very long, but I saw a TON of great-looking restaurants. You'd know better than me, however. It's GOT to be better than where I am now, though (about an hour north of LA). We pretty much eat at home all the time (not really such a bad thing, heh) as you can only go to Chili's, Applebee's, & TGI Fridays so many times before you're done.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:36 PM

701 posts, read 2,484,455 times
Where are you, I'm curious? Valencia? Because the list of restaurants fits that bill.

When you get here, try Kerbey Lane Cafe also. Open 24/7, too so you can get your fill of pancakes. Only thing I would like to have but can't find in Austin is good, inexpensive sushi. I think that's not possible because tuna would have to be shipped in and frozen. Granted, we've not looked *that* hard.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisch View Post
Where are you, I'm curious? Valencia? Because the list of restaurants fits that bill.

When you get here, try Kerbey Lane Cafe also. Open 24/7, too so you can get your fill of pancakes. Only thing I would like to have but can't find in Austin is good, inexpensive sushi. I think that's not possible because tuna would have to be shipped in and frozen. Granted, we've not looked *that* hard.
I'm in Ventura. But not for long!

That's a bummer to hear about sushi. Have you tried "Zen" on South Congress? I haven't, but we drove by it and I wondered how it was.

I'll try Kerbey lane! Thanks for the suggestion. The last day we were here, we drove 14 miles or so north to The Original Pancake House. And then I waited 40 minutes for my baked apple pancake to be prepared. It was pretty awesome.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:14 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,447,633 times
I'm not one for sushi, but I understand there are lots of sushi restaurants (or restaurants where you can get sushi) here.

You might check out Yelp.com or the Chowhound Austin board for recommendations.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:43 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,904,336 times
Well, I think the distinction was "affordable" sushi. This is subjective of course. There is definitely some tasty sushi in town, but it's often pricey and swanky. Uchi comes to mind. Pretty damn good though...

Old 07-20-2008, 12:46 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,897,956 times
I have to agree with Phisch on the cheap good sushi here.. I haven't found it yet, and have stopped trying. I know where I can get good sushi (Mushashino and Uchi), but it's expensive.

And trying out sushi places gets depressing -- one bad sushi meal can turn you off sushi for weeks. At least that's how it works for me. One of the reasons I haven't actually tried to find cheap sushi anymore.

Now, in Houston, I know of at least 2 reasonably priced sushi restaurants with excellent food. Just as Phisch theorizes, I'll bet it's because they get lots of fresh fish flown in daily at their airport...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin