Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2007, 12:46 AM

449 posts, read 1,699,993 times

Advertisements

We're thinking of moving to Georgetown. We want to live in an established town with sidewalks, a real town center, that's bikeable etc. and Georgetown seems to be like that and is close enough to Austin for special events.
Are there good jobs nearby (maybe RR) or do you really need to travel to Austin to find employment? I'm guessing traffic going into Austin could be pretty bad during rush hour times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 11:20 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,667,143 times
If you live in downtown area of Georgetown, then you will probably find what you are looking for. I am from there originally, although it has changed so much that it is hardly the same town. The park is great for a town that size, you are close to a nice lake, and the town center is quite 'historic' looking.

If you live in one of the 'suburbs', then there is a wide variety. My favorite ones are older, bigger lots (such as Serenada) but no sidewalks.

As for jobs, there are a few, but no really big business. A lot of IBMers moved there long ago, since IBM is on the N. side of Austin. Also, Southwestern University employees a few. Texas Crushed Stone employees a few, too. Other than that, lots of service industry, the hospitol, and I am not sure if there are some new big businesses that have moved in since I left - I am sure there are a few.

The commute can be bad into Austin, but bearable if it is only to the N. side.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:23 PM

118 posts, read 561,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
If you live in one of the 'suburbs', then there is a wide variety. My favorite ones are older, bigger lots (such as Serenada) but no sidewalks.
Woohoo! That's where we bought our house. I do miss having sidewalks, though. Not too practical to take a walk through our immediate neighborhood.

The San Gabriel park and hike trails are really nice, tho. We finally checked it out last weekend, and didn't even make it through the entire trail to the lake. We were impressed with the beauty of the trail and river, lack of graffiti, and it was not even crowded! Maybe it's busier in the warmer months, though.

I don't know much about the job market here. I'm self employed and my bf transferred his job, so neither of us had to look. But if you go to the Georgetown chamber of commerce site, you can search for different employers. I think they even have a category for major employers. Round Rock seems like it might have more jobs, but I don't really know for sure. What type of work are you looking for?

My bf commutes to the Arboretum area. It takes him about 25 minutes (I think?) in the morning (early) and 30-45 minutes to get home. He's going to try the new MoPac toll road (or something) and see if that saves any time.

Georgetown is starting to grow on me... good luck with your move! Where in the midwest are you coming from? I was born and raised in Indiana. Not my cup of tea!

Old 01-14-2007, 02:13 AM

Thanks for the help - I think we'd really like Georgetown. It sounds like there might be some good jobs in town but perhaps harder to get them, and possibly in Round Rock. I've done city and hospital secretarial work, pretty basic jobs. Looking for something better than lower pay service work though I have had a 2nd job from time to time. Would be nice to not have to worry about my kids being out and about, we go to parks quite a bit and love to walk around. Seeing some pretty historic buildings on the way would be even nicer. If we're lucky we'll find a rental in town.

Where we live now is a little bigger than Georgetown, mainly a university town (over 1/2 of the residents are students). Very hard to get a decent salary, which wouldn't be too bad except cost of living is high here too. A bigger mix of ages would also be a plus, so would the milder winters. Ten minutes drive and you can be near farms on a county road.

Old 01-14-2007, 05:48 PM

2 posts, read 11,428 times
My husband and I have lived here since 1998 and the jobs are not all that great in Georgetown proper. It seems that you have to be a 'friend' of someone to get a decent paying job (other than minimum wage), or waitt for someone to retire to get a job with the government (city, or county). The home prices are reasonable, but then again, you need a job to pay for the mortgage. My husband and I were okay as he is retired military and I have skills, but they are not very 'diverse' in this town and that is something that I very sorely miss coming from the type of background that I do come from.

I really miss that. They people are friendly enough but just a little too reserved for me.

Some very nice neighborhoods, but not much to offer in way of a community center unless the only thing you are interested in is soccer. If you want to take a craft class like pottery, sewing, etc, forget it. Not going to happen in Georgetown.

I don't know what "I" can do to get the ball rolling either to get something to change or to try to get something else started.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:38 AM

exarmybrat,
Thanks for sharing your experiences, I had thought it would be a little more friendly since its not a very small town. It's sounding like I would probably need to commute to find work. I did see a few programs at the rec center, not a lot for a city that size but some. You never know though, maybe you could help expand what they offer. Still need to check more into the schools.
I think I need to find out more before making a final decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin