Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2014, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,887 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

We are a family of 5 (kids ages 3, 9 and 14) and my husband is being relocated with work around the Austin area so we are looking for a suitable family friendly neighborhood (likely single family home rental) as this will be a temp move for hopefully no more than a year.

I've been searching some of the threads and can see that for the most part the good news is that there are lots of options to live around Texas, I just can't seem to narrow it down and need some help!

Here is our bucket list:

A location similar to Hyde Park possibly but more in our budget (1400 or less for a 3-4 bedroom) town home okay I guess. For the most I would like to avoid a "cookie cutter" neighborhood but my husband desires something a bit more newer and traditional so neighborhood/homes that could work with both our styles would be fantastic! Longshot here but, I'm really hoping for some character so even if its a newer community, anything from wrap around porches or modern contemporary homes is plus plus plus!!

My husband may be working in either of the locations listed (Georgetown or round rock) and although we are familiar with terrible traffic having lived in south Florida I've heard Texas could be worse and an easy commute would be ideal.

Schools and safety are important above everything else!

Gated or open is fine.

Near shopping and activities for kids is a plus!

So far I've looked at jollyville, cedar park, Leander, Pflugerville, west lake and of course the original cities listed. What else should I consider? What neighborhoods would be ideal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 05:30 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,222,949 times
I've heard the rental market is tight and hot but I am not sure personally.

I live in Leander, I love it and I commute to Round Rock as does DH. My DD is a freshman in high school and when we were house hunting the school was the number one priority but since you state this is temporary for a year or so I would not be as concerned because its not a long term situation.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:14 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
You could look in Taylor - some parts of it are very much like Hyde Park. It's about a 30 minute commute to Georgetown depending on where he would be working there, but if you take 95 it's not high traffic at all - back roads most of the way.

Not sure if there would be anything in your price range in Old Town in Georgetown - don't see anything on the MLS at the moment - but there are some in other older neighborhoods there as well as in Taylor - and there are neighborhoods that are newer but still have some character. Hutto is another possibility.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:54 AM

11 posts, read 18,599 times
You can look into old Round Rock area. It is between 79 and 45 east of IH-35.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ro...217259ede04b10

The houses in these area are older, so trees and mature. The most important thing is not having to deal with traffic during rush hour. It is a big plus. You really don't want to drive from Hyde Park to Round Rock between 4-7pm. It literally will take you one hour in average to get home. It is not worth you time.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:43 AM

2 posts, read 2,887 times
Thanks everyone for your feedback!

So far I'm narrowing it down to Cedar Park and Georgetown. I am loving the old town feel of Georgetown and I hear there are some new shopping centers around there. My hopes are that we can find a home with character that has been recently renovated, so far it looks far fetched to find that in our budget- especially a 3-4 bedroom rental.

Over by the Cedar park Towncenter looks to be like they have some great single-family home rentals!

Does anyone know the distance between Georgetown and Cedar Park?

And Cedar Park to Round Rock?

And also between Georgetown and Cedar Park, which one of the two would have the better school district?

Does Cedar Park have amenities like an outdoor shopping center or an indoor mall, restaurants both commercial and mom-and-pop shops?

Old 05-20-2014, 01:40 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,545,822 times
Your search is all over the map...literally. Cedar Park and Georgetown aren't pinpoints on a map, but are fairly vast areas containing old ranch land, farm land, subdivisions, neighborhoods, commercial and generally light industrial areas within the city limits and ETJ.

You could stand just north of 1431 on Ronald Reagan Pkwy and see G-town, Cedar Park, Leander and if you are tall enough, Round Rock in your view.

Your hubby's workplace COULD be the most important factor in your decision. It may NOT be, depending on where in each city the office is located. You might be looking at a half-hour commute of 15 miles OR a fast cruise on the tollway...all depends on where

Old 05-20-2014, 02:06 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
I would suggest the older, established neighborhoods of Pflugerville (Saxony, Willow Creek, Brook Hollow). These homes are not cookie cutter by any means and have lots of greenery. There are few homes available at any given time, though. I'm also not sure if they will be in your price range given the market. The tradeoff though are schools -- the elementary is excellent, but the middle and high aren't the highest ranked. The areas with the best school tracks are in the North and Northeastern section of town, but they will be over $1400 and are the regular master planned variety.

Of the suburbs you mentioned, Pflugerville does offer the biggest bang for buck considering what you get (low crime, mostly decent to good schools, shopping, etc.) but even P-ville is becoming increasingly expensive each year. $1500-1700 are the rents in the better areas. Anything below $1200 will probably not be in a good area.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:35 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,572,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R5bunch View Post
Over by the Cedar park Towncenter looks to be like they have some great single-family home rentals!
For all your wants, Cedar Park Town Center is a deal. It looks like there is only one home under $1400 now with a couple more that are a bit more. It meets all your shopping criteria as there is a lot of new shopping in walking distance including Costco, Target, and new restaurants along with Mom and Pop type places in the other direction and across 1431. I doubt that you will find a better rental value that is specific to the wants that you listed above (schools, shopping, safety, age of home, etc.)

Old 05-20-2014, 07:38 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,216,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
For all your wants, Cedar Park Town Center is a deal. It looks like there is only one home under $1400 now with a couple more that are a bit more. It meets all your shopping criteria as there is a lot of new shopping in walking distance including Costco, Target, and new restaurants along with Mom and Pop type places in the other direction and across 1431. I doubt that you will find a better rental value that is specific to the wants that you listed above (schools, shopping, safety, age of home, etc.)
Town center is nice, but that 1431 and 183 area is busy all the time. Traffic central.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:12 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,545,822 times
There are a number of lease and sale signs in Town Center as well as new construction...should have some opportunities there if that area works out. We visit some pups in there and the place has matured fairly well over the last 4 years or so. The traffic on the north side(New Hope) is nowhere near as busy as 1431 and it provides access to 183A, 183(Bell Blvd) and runs 'behind' the complex with Target, Academy, fifty-eleven food establishments, etc...

The south side even has its own driveway to Costco!!!...never have to get on 1431 or 183A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin