Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 10:53 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
Never tried Rudy's, had Smokey Mo's off Parmer and was extremely disappointed.
I look for Rudy's to go national. Many, if not most of the Rudy's around Austin are located in a gas station. They would be perfect stop at major exits on interstates thru out the nation. Get gas, reliably good food, reasonably priced, nice friendly service, family atmosphere, clean restrooms. Pretty much everything the traveling public needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2021, 08:26 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGoalie View Post
Honestly, what I'm comparing the brisket I had at Rudy's to is what I get all the time at Armadillo Willy's. I even had Buc'Ees brisket in Katy that was more tender than what I got at Rudy's.
you have to order properly at rudys and recognize when they are giving you a good vs mediocre cut.

Old 01-06-2021, 08:36 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Rudy's varies a bit, but as long as you don't get 'lean', it is generally good if not great. The 'moist' cuts can be very good, imho. I like their sauce better than SL, but that is just my personal preference. My wife loves their smoked turkey and my kids like their sausage (HEB cut!), which is about the only meat I can get them to eat on a reliable basis. I think the sausage is about the most 'meh' thing they sell, but if the kids eat it....

Pok-e-Joe's brisket is not one that I order anymore, but their sausage is one of my favorites and their chopped sandwiches are great - and all for a much lower price than Rudy's.

Old 01-06-2021, 09:10 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuals Are Good View Post
I stopped going to Rudy’s after getting terribly done ribs. Nothing special about anything else there. Mostly bone and expensive. They can keep them. Smokey Mo’s has been consistently good, but they recently increased their prices which stopped me from patronizing them. I patronized Stiles Switch on Lamar, but it’s gotten so busy and expensive that I stopped going there too.
rudys ribs are not to my taste, so we only get them about one every 10 times we go there.

Old 01-06-2021, 11:48 AM

483 posts, read 532,032 times
I'll take any of the places run by the members of the Black family of Lockhart over Rudy's. One thing I've noticed is that all of the BBQ joints in and around Austin have matched prices at $20 and up for a pound of brisket, you used to be able to find a better deal if you looked. Since that happened I tend to make BBQ more then buy it if I want some, buying it was always a treat but I think it's gotten out of hand.

Old 01-06-2021, 12:04 PM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoTejas View Post
I'll take any of the places run by the members of the Black family of Lockhart over Rudy's. One thing I've noticed is that all of the BBQ joints in and around Austin have matched prices at $20 and up for a pound of brisket, you used to be able to find a better deal if you looked. Since that happened I tend to make BBQ more then buy it if I want some, buying it was always a treat but I think it's gotten out of hand.
Is it cheaper in DFW and Houston for comparable quality? I went to Hard Eight in Coppell (DFW area) and they seemed to be a bit pricier than Rudy’s. Same for Local Yocal in McKinney.

Old 01-06-2021, 12:13 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
Only Rudy's I've had was when I lived in Albuquerque. It was pretty good. Actually it was better than the supposed BBQ restaurants I've tried here in San Antonio, except for one place.

Old 01-06-2021, 02:14 PM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Only Rudy's I've had was when I lived in Albuquerque. It was pretty good. Actually it was better than the supposed BBQ restaurants I've tried here in San Antonio, except for one place.
Something in Albuquerque that you would think would be really good is Mexican food but I was warned not to try it from some of the locals. Have you had any luck with that?

Old 01-06-2021, 10:07 PM

997 posts, read 1,311,653 times
I miss Rudy's for sure. Rarely a complaint, consistent with good cuts from turkey to brisket.

On the surface going back to corporate might be the right move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin