Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 06:01 PM

947 posts, read 3,144,453 times

Advertisements

Does it affect your decision to where you move, when you read how some people in Austin, TX don't want anymore transplants?

Does it affect your decision of how you will view the people in Austin, TX?

Just curious about this since I've read quite a few unwelcoming posts and I wondered how that would affect a person's decision on where they will move to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 06:25 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,288,601 times
It didn't affect our decision to move here. While we didn't move from CA to Austin directly, we had lived in CA a long time so I could understand the anti-CA sentiment. I figure that as with anything else, folks are more likely to take the time to post a negative sentiment (or what people perceive to be as negative, anyway) than to post a positive sentiment. So for each person who posts that they don't want transplants, there are probably 50 people who 1) don't visit forums, 2) don't care or 3) actually welcome transplants.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:47 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,410,147 times
Honestly, it is affecting me a little. I choose to check out Austin because it is supposed to be similar to where I live now and there are only a handful of places like this in the country.

I love Madison, WI, the only problem is that I can't live here anymore. The unrelenting, endless winter with it's darkness and desolation are just too much for me. You really have to experience it to understand. Life is an endurance test for me October - late May at this point and it's wearing me down. I don't want to continue struggle to survive for 8 months out of every year. BTW It snowed here yesterday!

To have others say that I have no right to look for a place where I can enjoy a quality life because "they were there first" has taken me aback.

Not all transplants want to change things. Some would probably work harder to maintain what makes Austin "Austin" because they have a basis of comparison. Sometimes you let what you take for granted slip away whereas if you purposely sought something out you are more likely to fight to maintain it.

Last edited by Megan1967; 04-29-2008 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-29-2008, 07:06 PM

368 posts, read 1,788,480 times
Aw, you just think the folk around here are unfriendly to transplants.

Ten years ago, or twenty, for that matter, try being a Texan moving to Colorado. I feel lucky to have not had any vehicles sabotaged before I had CO plates. Good thing I have -0- accent, other than American.

What I find positively hilarious is I've had more than one person remark about my resume, "wow, you've lived in a bunch of places..." Um, there's this thing call an automobile, y'know. In 40 years, living in four places, excluding the place you were born, really shouldn't be a shock.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:24 PM

947 posts, read 3,144,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
Honestly, it is affecting me a little. I choose to check out Austin because it is supposed to be similar to where I live now and there are only a handful of places like this in the country.

I love Madison, WI, the only problem is that I can't live here anymore. The unrelenting, endless winter with it's darkness and desolation are just too much for me. You really have to experience it to understand. Life is an endurance test for me October - late May at this point and it's wearing me down. I don't want to continue struggle to survive for 8 months out of every year. BTW It snowed here yesterday!

To have others say that I have no right to look for a place where I can enjoy a quality life because "they were there first" has taken me aback.

Not all transplants want to change things. Some would probably work harder to maintain what makes Austin "Austin" because they have a basis of comparison. Sometimes you let what you take for granted slip away whereas if you purposely sought something out you are more likely to fight to maintain it.
I understand about the brutal winters. I lived in MA for almost 23 years and I think that's why I gravitate to warmer climates.

I would never have known that some people are so anti - until I came upon City Data a couple of months ago. I don't believe it would have changed my mind about moving to the Austin area because I figure there are probably people in every state that don't like newcomers.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:41 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,245,034 times
I lived in MA for 27 years, so I hear you too!

I think it's only a couple of people on the board who come on (a lot) and write about how they don't want people moving to Austin. At least one of them has lived in Austin themselves for only about 10 years, so I'm not sure where they get off. I think they're secretly delighted that so many people want to move to Austin, heh. Texans get a bad rap from pretty much everywhere else in the US, so maybe they're getting back a little bit.

When I was in Austin, with one exception, everyone was nothing but nice and supportive of my moving there. The one exception was a woman at a printers (with whom I was trying to set up a business association) who said something about people moving to her city, driving up prices, yada yada yada. When my husband asked her if she was from Austin originally, she admitted that she wasn't. HAH!

Old 04-29-2008, 07:43 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,083,532 times
It's only on the forums. The internet brings out the anon-crazies. I have felt 100% welcomed everywhere I have gone in TX. No one cares where you moved from. Don't let this forum change your mind - it really should only be used for entertainment purposes.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:19 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,393,744 times
It hasn't affected me one second...it does peeve me a little to hear the anti-sentiments over and over again...but I'm still moving there! I have been visiting Austin for almost a decade, sometimes 2-3 times/year. I have never met an unfriendly person in Austin or TX for that matter. The only anti-sentiments I have ever heard have been on this forum...I just ignore them. As I mentioned, sometimes it peeves me off, but just chalk it up to bitterness and continue reading most of the time. Once in a while, I'll call someone on their posts...but I try to ignore them.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:24 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,410,147 times
It hasn't totally discouraged me, but thanks for the reassurances.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:13 PM

655 posts, read 2,207,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Red View Post
Does it affect your decision to where you move, when you read how some people in Austin, TX don't want anymore transplants?

Does it affect your decision of how you will view the people in Austin, TX?

Just curious about this since I've read quite a few unwelcoming posts and I wondered how that would affect a person's decision on where they will move to.
Nope
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin