Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 09:31 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,333,322 times

Advertisements

I think it's funny how a lot of transplants have a "last one in shut the door" view on new people moving in.

It's also funny how a lot of transplants don't consider themselves transplants because they are from the region. The truth is that whether you move from Corpus, Amarillo or San Francisco, you are still an Austin transplant and are contributing to the "problems" that being one brings. You have no more right to live here, and are no less to blame for the problems here, than anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 09:36 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,811,453 times
This is a ticklish subject for me because I myself live in California and have done so for 11 years. If you've never lived here, then you might not understand why so many people are leaving. It is HARD to live here. The traffic, extremely volitile job market, the insanely high prices for gas ( CA has the highest gas tax), housing,and the overall enormous pressure to compete with the bazillion other people desperately trying to get bare basic amenities on a daily basis is almost overwhelming. The worst part about it is that I've felt crappy about the way things have happened for me and my Wife out here for years. We both make extremely good salaries. We carpool. We scrimp,save, and invest all to no avail because even if we saved 200k, EVERYONE else is doing the same because they have to if they want anything resembling a middle class living situation.We have been renting the entire time. If we bought, we would be slaves to the house.So it is no surprise that many are saying the hell with it and getting out of there.I feel like I've been fighting WWIII living here.

But... as mentioned before, I am from rural East TN. You could get anywhere on the freeway in 10 minutes because there was no traffic. You could live anywhere because housing was dirt-cheap. You could go to any national park and be one of 5 people there all day. It isn't like that anymore. People from other places are moving in.Admittedly, I somewhat despise these people and the Mcnmansion developers that cater to them. The ticklish part is that they too, just like me, came from other places that have essentially denied them anything close to a reasonable existence. it isn't like all of these people are lazy. Albeit some moved down just by selling a house and nothing more. But many others are people like me who gave a good fight and eventually said that enough was enough and that there must surely be a better solution.

However, I myself also dislike what is going on,which is this more recent inward migration of people out and away from these larger metro areas. My home town is now somewhat unpleasant to visit. The regional character is disappearing. The area is becoming another generic America, and it is getting more expensive. What bothers me most about all of this isn't the people, but the possible implications of what could be perceived as a continuation of what larger metros have already experienced, which is a destruction of the middle class and the dawn of a new era in the US where life becomes increasingly difficult. The thought has crossed my mind that places like Austin, Raleigh, Nashville, etc etc could one day become just like NYC, SF, LA, and so on and become little hell holes where everyone is a debt-zombie. If that's the case, then perhaps that's why people are moving with urgency because they want to secure their own piece of heaven before it all becomes overpriced.

Realistically though, This is more than likely the aftermath of what was the single biggest housing bubble in US and world history. More than likely the prices in major cities will correct. They have to because is everyone moves out, then who pays for those expensive houses and who works in the offices? So perhaps in five years we'll all be able to talk about eh big ugly housing bubble that threatened to destroy the US.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:40 AM

532 posts, read 1,399,940 times
I've been here about 5 months now. Originally from Boston, but lived the last 15 years in California. My wife is Canadian and lived the last 5 years in California. I have to admit that if I had read a lot of these "we don't want you California types here" postings before we bought, I probably would have had second thoughts about moving here. But I'm glad I didn't, because my wife and I have been welcomed with open arms since the day we got here. We had visited Austin a couple of times previously, so I was pretty sure that the people's attitude wasn't really the way the tiny minority of posters here would try to make you believe it is. In fact, it's only on this board (a relocation board, not a "stay away" board) that I've ever heard any anti-Californian attitude at all. If I could give one piece of advice, it would be that it really seems to be only 1 or 2 posters out of the hundreds here who are that negative and claim that they speak for all Texans. They also claim that Californians are rude, insensitive, demanding, loud, unfriendly, and pushy, when, ironically enough, it's really only their postings that reflect that attitude.

I love being in Austin. We haven't had a bad day since we moved here, and look forward to having many, many more. I expect that if you just ignore the negative posters and move here if it you want to, that you'll feel the same way as my wife and I do.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:04 PM

264 posts, read 1,006,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulmmm View Post
I've been here about 5 months now. Originally from Boston, but lived the last 15 years in California. My wife is Canadian and lived the last 5 years in California. I have to admit that if I had read a lot of these "we don't want you California types here" postings before we bought, I probably would have had second thoughts about moving here. But I'm glad I didn't, because my wife and I have been welcomed with open arms since the day we got here. We had visited Austin a couple of times previously, so I was pretty sure that the people's attitude wasn't really the way the tiny minority of posters here would try to make you believe it is. In fact, it's only on this board (a relocation board, not a "stay away" board) that I've ever heard any anti-Californian attitude at all. If I could give one piece of advice, it would be that it really seems to be only 1 or 2 posters out of the hundreds here who are that negative and claim that they speak for all Texans. They also claim that Californians are rude, insensitive, demanding, loud, unfriendly, and pushy, when, ironically enough, it's really only their postings that reflect that attitude.

I love being in Austin. We haven't had a bad day since we moved here, and look forward to having many, many more. I expect that if you just ignore the negative posters and move here if it you want to, that you'll feel the same way as my wife and I do.
Things are just starting to "heat up" here in Austin. Tempers are starting to flare, patience is starting to run thin, and people are waking up to what's really going on. Once we run into a drought situation where we start finding it difficult to provide water to everyone or the basic amenities become hard to get, you'll start seeing more of a backlash against all the migration here. Yeah, it's all sunshine and roses now, but when people start waking up to what our city is becoming, people moving here might not encounter the same friendly "open arms" you're experiencing now. The people here don't want Austin to become another L.A. or another Dallas/Houston, and with all you moving here, that's exactly what it's becoming! The reason Austin was so special was because of its size, people, culture, etc. Once we grow out of that, it will never be the same! Do you understand that? Do you even care? Probably not, you're here now
and like most people, it's not your problem.

I understand your perspective because you're now "living the dream" here in Austin, but it's not going to stay that way for long if everyone keeps moving here, especially from California. The reason I single out California is because statistically, more people move to Texas from California than any other state, and most other states combined. Those of you moving here don't see the change and destruction all this migration is causing, so it's hard for you to see my side of it, but trust me, it's not been good and it's only getting worst.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:06 PM

947 posts, read 3,151,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTexan View Post
But thank you for starting a new thread about me and my rants. I think my messages really are being heard.
Who started a new thread about you and your rants? Is your real name "Some People"?
~~~~~~~~~~~Anyway~~~~~~~~~~~`
I do agree with some others who have posted. That the only time I've heard anti - California were on these boards so it's pretty meaningless. I like how Jenbar put it, that it really should be used for "entertainment purposes".

Old 04-30-2008, 12:15 PM

1,564 posts, read 2,425,649 times
Quote:
As it's been mentioned before in other threads here, that's a national population issue, true in most metro areas within our country... not a specific "Austin, Texas" issue...
So where is all this extra population in large metros coming from? Immigration? Are there just more of us than a few years back?

Old 04-30-2008, 01:02 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,426,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
So where is all this extra population in large metros coming from? Immigration? Are there just more of us than a few years back?
Global over population is HUGE. It's not just Austin. The whole country is filling up. If we don't stop being "fruitful" and "multiplying", Austin isn't the only place that has to worry.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:23 PM

122 posts, read 409,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTexan View Post
Things are just starting to "heat up" here in Austin. Tempers are starting to flare, patience is starting to run thin, and people are waking up to what's really going on. Once we run into a drought situation where we start finding it difficult to provide water to everyone or the basic amenities become hard to get, you'll start seeing more of a backlash against all the migration here. Yeah, it's all sunshine and roses now, but when people start waking up to what our city is becoming, people moving here might not encounter the same friendly "open arms" you're experiencing now. The people here don't want Austin to become another L.A. or another Dallas/Houston, and with all you moving here, that's exactly what it's becoming! The reason Austin was so special was because of its size, people, culture, etc. Once we grow out of that, it will never be the same! Do you understand that? Do you even care? Probably not, you're here now
and like most people, it's not your problem.

I understand your perspective because you're now "living the dream" here in Austin, but it's not going to stay that way for long if everyone keeps moving here, especially from California. The reason I single out California is because statistically, more people move to Texas from California than any other state, and most other states combined. Those of you moving here don't see the change and destruction all this migration is causing, so it's hard for you to see my side of it, but trust me, it's not been good and it's only getting worst.
Yeah, all the Californians had to move out to make room for the illegals..

Seriously, no one has been anything but friendly to me since I moved here in August. The only negativity toward transplants has been by some postings on this board.

Someone is touting Austin as one of the best places in the US to live. Of course, that brings transplants..and not just from CA.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:16 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,811,453 times
Quote:
Global over population is HUGE. It's not just Austin. The whole country is filling up.
Yes, population is a major problem. In our lifetime, we will likely see the advent of hyper-inflation in the form of fuel and food shortages. But to me, the problem of overpopulation isn't necessarily an issue with space and running out of it ( at least in the US), but rather what I see as the lack of a modern society taking full advantage of available technology which would allow people to work from home, and work away from the cities. I sit here writing this in my office in CA while most of the rest of you are either in TX or in some other state. Half of my work is for people who live elsewhere. Yet I have to drive to an office in a major metro area.

I just got back from visiting my folks. We drove up to Southeastern KY. There was nothing there. NOTHING. We went to a major national park and hiked 12 miles. We were the only people there all day. It was a Saturday too. We drove on a 4 lane freeway. Again- hardly anyone was on it. We went to a grocery store. Nobody was in line. It was like a ghost town. Almost creepy.

I've driven across the country 3 times. 90% of the country is vacant and empty. Personally, I like living in the sticks more than the city but only do so because that's how you earn a living. What if we focussed on modernizing the work environment by letting people live mobile lives instead of trying to pack into the latest-greatest- more affordable city? Its true- that Austin and most other smaller cities will become larger cities, and after that, the smaller cities after them will follow suite.

Give me somewhere in the middle of nowhere anyday. You can have the city.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:38 PM

438 posts, read 836,886 times
Quote:
The people here don't want Austin to become another L.A. or another Dallas/Houston,
A little too late. Austin is on a fast-track to become just as populated as San Antonio or Dallas within the next ten years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin