Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 02:42 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,075,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Are there just more of us than a few years back?
Yep. That about sums it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 03:12 PM

979 posts, read 2,958,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTexan View Post
The reason I single out California is because statistically, more people move to Texas from California than any other state, and most other states combined.
You might want to check the other side of those stats as well. More people move to California from Texas than from any other state. Is it really a surprise that the two most populous states in the union would have the largest number of people moving between them?

Old 04-30-2008, 06:42 PM

389 posts, read 1,573,006 times
Default Too right

Absolutely..couldnt agree more
Unless you are a Native American, you are also a transplant.. and even they probably came from somewhere else..
People just like to blame their problems on something other than themselves.
Change is inevitable.

Why cant we just be Native Earthlings?
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffari-al-texani View Post
http://www.colby.edu/personal/e/ebeasley/native%20americans.jpg (broken link)

This family wishes all of us would stop moving into their neighborhoods...

Old 04-30-2008, 08:21 PM

144 posts, read 331,199 times
Not one bit. Of course, I look forward to helping keep Austin WEIRD--not making it like the place I'm leaving (for good reason).

Come on, 2009!

Old 04-30-2008, 09:11 PM

475 posts, read 1,095,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Oh, I wanted to mention, "Don't Mess With Texas" means don't throw your trash on the side of the road, don't litter. Just ask Willie. Happy Birthday, Willie!
I know. I guess sarcasm doesn't translate that well in a forum or perhaps I didn't make it as obvious.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:25 AM

1,133 posts, read 4,190,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadInSuburbia View Post
Not one bit. Of course, I look forward to helping keep Austin WEIRD--not making it like the place I'm leaving (for good reason).
I'm with ya on that one -- keeping it WEIRD and not like the ATL.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:48 PM

129 posts, read 227,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTexan View Post
Once we run into a drought situation where we start finding it difficult to provide water to everyone or the basic amenities become hard to get, you'll start seeing more of a backlash against all the migration here. Yeah, it's all sunshine and roses now, but when people start waking up to what our city is becoming, people moving here might not encounter the same friendly "open arms" you're experiencing now. The people here don't want Austin to become another L.A. or another Dallas/Houston, and with all you moving here, that's exactly what it's becoming! The reason Austin was so special was because of its size, people, culture, etc. Once we grow out of that, it will never be the same! Do you understand that? Do you even care? Probably not, you're here now
and like most people, it's not your problem.

I understand your perspective because you're now "living the dream" here in Austin, but it's not going to stay that way for long if everyone keeps moving here, especially from California. The reason I single out California is because statistically, more people move to Texas from California than any other state, and most other states combined. Those of you moving here don't see the change and destruction all this migration is causing, so it's hard for you to see my side of it, but trust me, it's not been good and it's only getting worst.
Drought is eventually going to be a national/world-wide problem. What "Austin dream" are you talking about? "living the dream" You are stereotyping and being a little judgmental. The idea is to have a better quality of life in a community that you feel comfortable in, perhaps to raise a family. It's only beneficial to "contribute" to the community of Austin by volunteering your services, ideas and energy to RETAIN the quality not diminish it. Some of us still work as hard as ever and lead creative, productive lives but, can now own a modest home in a safe neighborhood for our $$ although property tax is high and has been for quite some time we can appreciate the benefits that our parents were able to back in the day..it's called the "American dream" and all of us hard-working citizens who contribute and are respectful of our neighbors and surroundings deserve that. Yes, of course we care! as many of us (transplants) do not want to see that "charm" and earthy culture go away.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:34 PM

2 posts, read 4,308 times
Funny topic. I was born in Cajun Country, brought up in Houston, lived in Washington DC and Rome, now definitely a Californian. And I just built a house in Austin because my family is there. I have never encountered a hint of anti-Californian attitude, and I love friendly Texas people, even though most of us are from somewhere else.

"Everybody doesn't like something, but nobody doesn't like...?" You name it, somebody doesn't like it. Ask a Coloradoan about Texans some time ; -) Like it or not, Austin is a lot better than it used to be in a lot of ways, and worse in some others. Guess what? So is everywhere.

And if you are thinking about moving to Austin, come on! Plenty of room for you all, and you'll love the people and the place. How about a place where everybody in Mercedes or pickups wave at you as they drive by? My kind of place.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood1 View Post
Absolutely..couldnt agree more
Unless you are a Native American, you are also a transplant.. and even they probably came from somewhere else..
People just like to blame their problems on something other than themselves.
Change is inevitable.

Why cant we just be Native Earthlings?
Cheers
Agree, and remember "Native Americans" are all transplants, too. Just a matter of when.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:20 PM

72 posts, read 198,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
But... as mentioned before, I am from rural East TN. You could get anywhere on the freeway in 10 minutes because there was no traffic. You could live anywhere because housing was dirt-cheap. You could go to any national park and be one of 5 people there all day. It isn't like that anymore.
Cool! I grew up in East TN too, Dayton to be exact, in the rolling hills of the Tennessee River valley between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. When I've gone home to visit lately I see McMansions sprouting on 2 acre lots all along the ridges and lakeshores. They're for retirees from the NE and Midwest mostly, according to my parents, though the local well-to-do also occupy their fair share. It's kinda sad to see.

Though I grew up in the country, I like the City and its density of people and uses best. I want to see Austin grow with infill, denser uses, transit, and walkable neighborhoods rather than sprawl into the rural countryside with McManions on 2 acre lots. We are getting both types of development here of course, but I hope we'll continue to encourage the denser, compact route through our public policies--we're not going to regulate birth rates or interstate migration anytime soon. When it comes to growth management we're stuck with our meager land use toolbox granted by the Texas Lege, the various transit-oriented whims of CapMetro and City of Austin, and that's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin