Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 11:32 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I don't consider either Legend Oaks or Circle C to be properly Oak Hill, I guess. However, I still consider both to be too far out from Central Austin to be desireable places to live. Among other places in Austin, I used to live in Shady Hollow and that was bad enough in terms of location. When I think of Oak Hill I think of the crap along the highway and also the whole area around the "Y" and then on out 71 'till Oak Hill peters out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 01:14 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Quote:
When I think of Oak Hill I think of the crap along the highway and also the whole area around the "Y" and then on out 71 'till Oak Hill peters out.
I drive 290 in and out of Oak Hill every day, and it did hit me the other day how ugly it is. When they tore out all the businesses to make room for the highway that was never built, it left a blighted swath of ugliness that will remain for 5-10 years more, at lease.

But many who live in Oak Hill 78749 never drive that stretch. They come down Mopac and exit Wm Cannon, Davis or Slaughter. Those are mostly very beautiful areas with more amenities and business adding to the value and convenience of the area every month it seems.

Steve

Old 04-24-2010, 02:44 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
According to Google Maps Oak Hill is only 9 miles from the CBD, Legend Oaks is 10.3, Shady Hollow is 13.8 miles. One of Oak Hill's advantages has always been that it is NOT far from downtown.

I originally moved to Oak Hill in 1981 it was nice and green and pretty then. I still live in the same zip code 78749 so it is still Oak Hill to me, even though I now live in Legend Oaks. But I agree some parts of it along MoPac are ugly now. The highway used to have large oak trees overhanging both sides of the road before they widened MoPac. It was horrible seeing all of those trees bull dozed. It is not as pretty now, but the Y is getting better, there are lots of new apartments around the Y, new restaraunts and businesses within walking distance. Once you get away from MoPac there are numerous very nice neighborhoods in the area with lots of trees.

Unfortunatly the TXDot tore down many buildings along mopac for the highway work, then left the foundations and paving in place when they postponed the construction of the highway. Those and empty structures like the old vacant Albertsons at the Y are a real eyesore now.

Thanks a lot TxDot.

I think they should not be allowed to start demolition like that if they don't have the money to finish the work.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:33 PM

Oak Hill is strung out for several miles west of Austin, so you can't take just one distance figure as determinative and there isn't any true center to the community. Arbitrarily you might take the "Y" where 290 and 71 split (or come together, depending on what direction you're travelling). But if it's a contest between living in old Oak Hill, Legend Oaks or the westernmost section of Circle C -- I'll take none of the above (based on distance from anywhere I'd wish to be in Austin; if I had to choose based on the houses, I guess I'd take Legend Oaks -- used to know some guys that lived out there). Full disclosure:after moving from Shady Hollow I had a condo on Manchaca Rd near S. Lamar for a while and then bought a house in Barton Hills -- the far suburbs aren't for me.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Oak Hill is strung out for several miles west of Austin, so you can't take just one distance figure as determinative and there isn't any true center to the community. Arbitrarily you might take the "Y" where 290 and 71 split (or come together, depending on what direction you're travelling). But if it's a contest between living in old Oak Hill, Legend Oaks or the westernmost section of Circle C -- I'll take none of the above (based on distance from anywhere I'd wish to be in Austin; if I had to choose based on the houses, I guess I'd take Legend Oaks -- used to know some guys that lived out there). Full disclosure:after moving from Shady Hollow I had a condo on Manchaca Rd near S. Lamar for a while and then bought a house in Barton Hills -- the far suburbs aren't for me.
Wus! Can't let a little traffic hold you down. Especially if you don't need to drive to the CBD very often.

Hey I used the Google maps definition of where Oak Hill is. So what if Legend Oaks is 1.3 miles farther, its still lots closer then Shady Hallow.

Shady Hallow now has horrible traffic overloading the streets because TxDot backed off on its promise to build the connection to 45 to get them over to Loop 1.

Shady Hollow wishes it were in Oak Hill.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Full disclosure:after moving from Shady Hollow I had a condo on Manchaca Rd near S. Lamar for a while and then bought a house in Barton Hills -- the far suburbs aren't for me.

Ahh such a shame you had to live in such an ugly neighborhood. LOL

So that what this is really about? My previous statements that S. Lamar Blvd. areas are ugly? https://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...outh-west.html

I still stand behind them, Oak Hill is much prettier then South Lamar.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Unfortunatly the TXDot tore down many buildings along mopac for the highway work
I think you mistakenly substituted Mopac for Hwy 290 in most of that post.
Steve

Old 04-24-2010, 07:20 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,016,857 times
I think it's pretty obvious that the 45 connector would be disasterous for SW Austin anyways. SH people can go down 1626 to Manchacha to Slaughter if they want to get to Mopac. The intent of the 45 Tollway is to connect I-35 to Mopac. I don't see how Circle C, SH, VAWO would benefit. I live between I-45 and Slaughter, and I wouldn't use the 45 tollway to get to Mopac either - I would use Slaughter and I'm sure those living SW would reciprocate. If anything, the extension would lighten traffic on 35 and add new automobile (and semi-trailer) traffic to Mopac. I get the feeling the people of SW Austin don't really want this extension built, and they are trying to sandbag it. If they are, I wouldn't blame them. This would remove the main obstacle from Buda becoming Round Rock South (that was not a compliment).

Old 04-24-2010, 09:25 PM

The rush hour traffic getting out of Shady Hollow and to either MoPac or I-35 has been awful for years. Ironically it was better in the mid-1980s when Brodie Lane was only a single lane in either direction -- before so much more development took place out there. But in terms of actual distance, I don't really see how Legend Oaks is closer to town than Shady Hollow. Another disclosure: I hate driving long distances and driving in a lot of traffic. That having been said, my last years in Austin involved a consulting relationship that caused me to commute out to Liberty Hill from South Austin - a 72 mile round trip - sometimes two or three times a week. Ugh!

Old 04-25-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
But in terms of actual distance, I don't really see how Legend Oaks is closer to town than Shady Hollow.
It takes about 3-5 minutes to get from Legend Oaks to Wm Cannon/Mopac. Another 10-15 to Mopac/5th.

It could take 15-20 minutes to get from Shady Hollow to Wm Cannon/Mopac. That's the time difference.

Coming home, same thing in reverse. While the Shady Hollow home owner is sitting waiting to turn left at Mopac/Slaughter, the Legend Oaks (or any 78749 dweller) is walking in the front door.

And the right turn at Slaughter/Brodie can take several turns of the light during evening rush hour.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin