Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 10:09 AM

3 posts, read 5,570 times

Advertisements

Never posted here before, but as proficient as I am with using the internet, I just can't seem to get a form answer to my question, so I figured I'd ask it here:

I am getting ready to finish up the application process for a rental home in South Austin. I have lived in Austin since October '08 but always north of Anderson Mill and know very little about South/South Central Austin aside from the fact that it tends to be more diverse than North Austin (which we like).

We have a 5 1/2 month old baby, and just want to make sure we haven't chosen the notoriously worst neighborhood in Austin (which doesn't seem to be the case). The house we are looking at is right at W Ben White and Manchaca. It was the last house on the block, but they just extended and built a ton of new, nice-seeming homes in the area, which gives me hope that it's probably a decent neighborhood.

I know even seedier parts of Austin are pretty safe for a big city, but we'd still prefer not to be in a place that is known to be seedier.

Thanks in advance for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 10:29 AM

246 posts, read 858,853 times
I would much rather live at Manchaca and Ben White than north of Anderson Mill. You're right by the Texan Market, my favorite convenience store in the world. The lady that works in there is always in a good mood and always friendly (but always sells me losing lottery tickets).

It's not the nicest part of town, but it's far from the worst. There are a lot of apartments and rental townhouses along that stretch of Manchaca, so you get what usually comes along with that. It's not, like, unsafe or anything, it's just not a cozy neighborhood. I can't speak to the schools down there, but that may not be a concern for you since you're still 4 or 5 years away from kindergarten.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:31 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,031,240 times
That's a good area that is up and coming despite the miniscule house sizes. This area is appealing to the new influx of those looking for big yards and central for a modest price. The elementary school there was recently rated Exemplary. I would recommend the area.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:42 AM

Awesome! Thanks for such a quick response from you both!

RevMen- "not cozy" made me feel a little weird. You did preface with the fact that it's "not unsafe," but "not cozy" implies unsafe to me. Do you just mean it's not necessarily a place where the kids are going to be out riding their bikes around the neighborhood BBQ? That's what I'll assume you meant, anyway

jobert- You are spot on. We found a miniscule house, large yard, close-in, modest price. Just what we were looking for (though we wouldn't complain if the house was a little bigger ). So, knowing that you definitely know the area, I feel comfortable with your recommendation. Also, knowing the school is well-rated provides peace of mind. Though you're right, it's not an immediate concern for us, it's good to know that other people with school-aged children would possibly be drawn to the neighborhood. In other words, we won't be the token young family

Thanks again for both of your responses!

Old 03-26-2010, 11:00 AM

I'm talking about Manchaca North of Ben White. You might be looking South of Ben White. They're kind of different. And you took my meaning correctly.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:14 AM

5 posts, read 11,983 times
I guess you are looking for some cognitive dissonance since you have already finishing up paperwork. I live a tad more south than you will and I am happy with the "crime status". You're located pretty conveniently to Central with access to Mopac and 35 from 71. Keep in mind though, Austin is so clustered that you can walk for 10 minutes from a "nice area" and end up being in a weird/seedyish neighborhood.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:31 AM

It would be Manchaca south of Ben White. But mere blocks off of Ben White (and Manchaca, both). I'm one response from giving you my address, I think (I know, you're not asking, I'm providing).

You make a good point, boredelmo. Two, actually: Although I wouldn't say I was looking for cognitive dissonance (being as I still haven't actually turned in the application, but I'm doing a deposit on application, so there's no turning back once I do turn it in), I was definitely hoping more for people to give me peace of mind than to tell me that it was a horrible area . Secondly, I have noticed how quickly the gradient can change in parts of Austin. I guess I just have to take safety with a grain of salt, which I think I can. Even here in the suburbs, my neighbor could have all sorts of secrets :P

SO, I will try to take this general information as said peace of mind and will be turning in the application shortly. Thank you all for your help!

Old 03-26-2010, 11:40 AM

I used to live close Ben White on South First and I really enjoyed the easy access to MoPac, I-35, and the airport. I think you'll like it there.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:41 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,474,455 times
I'd have no problem living in that area (but, then, we own a rent house in Barton Hills and lived there for 8 years, and that whole area is my old stompin' grounds where I raised both kids at different stages in their lives).

You're close to three grocery stores (Randall's/Central Market/Sun Harvest), shopping, etc. Depending on where exactly you are, you're in a neighborhood that feels like one or one closer to apartments, etc. That area is poised to take off, being so close to downtown and access to other areas. I wouldn't feel uncomfortable renting there.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:48 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,341,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevMen View Post
I would much rather live at Manchaca and Ben White than north of Anderson Mill. .
Is it personal preference? There's not a thing unsafe or dangerous with the area north of Anderson Mill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: