Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2008, 04:04 PM

80 posts, read 353,763 times

Advertisements

For all you folks living in South Austin, can you provide some feedback on the
Joe Dan Mills Elementary? I understand that parts of Circle C and Western
Oaks are served by this elementary school.

In particular, I am looking for information on:
1) Class sizes : Big, small, is it true that they have overflow classes in trailers?
2) Teaching quality of Math, Reading and Writing in Grades K-5
3) Parental involvement in school activities
4) Teaching philosophy : Test based or does it encourage creativity?

I heard that they went from "recognized" to "exemplary" recently in TAKS
scores? Does that mean anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 08:52 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,650,196 times
Quote:
Class sizes : Big, small, is it true that they have overflow classes in trailers?
There are trailers on the property, so I assume that there are still classes in those.

As for the recognized and exemplary, it is difficult to stay at exemplary year in and year out, so many schools will change from one to the other from one year to the next. I would not worry too much about one vs. the other, as long as it stayed in those two rankings.

Can't really help you much, since we do not have kids in there yet (few years to go), but the neighbors with kids there love it.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:36 AM

1,133 posts, read 4,187,850 times
Seems like it has the best parent reviews on Greatschools.com. Baranoff didn't do so well with their reviews.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:04 AM

18 posts, read 71,099 times
My daughter will start K this fall. Our neighbors love Mills and their children all seem very accomplished. We have spoken to teachers who work there in a social environment out of the school and they all seem very engaged and proud of their school. The Exemplary rating is a product of population. Many students were moved to the new elementary in Circle C and many of them came from areas where education is not so important to the famalies.

The campus is not so beautiful with all the "portables" but in the end it's all about the teachers and student body and NOT the buildings. We are very excited about Mills. Our daughter will enter kindergarten with both reading, writing and math skills and my fear is she might be bored. Based on her circle of friends that will also go to Mills they will not be holding the school back. Parents have way more impact on the schools by encouraging their children and driving the quality up with participation.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:24 PM

4 posts, read 9,563 times
OK, here you go:

1) Class sizes are on average 20-25 people for 1st-5th grades and 15-20 for Pre-K and K.
2) The teaching quality is excellent. Mills is an exemplary rated school by the Texas Edu. Agency
3) There is a PTA for Mills.
4) Encourages creativity.

I am a student at Mills myself.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:29 PM

17 posts, read 68,633 times
I can tell you the school is like a private school. My son has done very well since transferring there and we have been very happy. The classes are big. My son's class has 29 kids in it. The teachers he's had have been outstanding and while bored at his other school he's much more challenged now. They do not devote a lot of time practicing for TAKS as many schools do, which we loved. Mills is a great school!

Old 04-11-2010, 01:00 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,022,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXSWResident View Post
OK, here you go:

1) Class sizes are on average 20-25 people for 1st-5th grades and 15-20 for Pre-K and K.
2) The teaching quality is excellent. Mills is an exemplary rated school by the Texas Edu. Agency
3) There is a PTA for Mills.
4) Encourages creativity.

I am a student at Mills myself.
You write very well for a 5th grader. Do your parents know what you've been up to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: