Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 03:30 PM

202 posts, read 720,084 times

Advertisements

My daughter is moving to Austin and is considering an apartment in the Barton Springs Rd and 1st Street area. This area seems to be a pretty good/walkable area. Is it a safe area?
What are your opinions of living in this area? Does this area flood (often)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 03:37 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,218,767 times
It is safe. All of Austin is safe from violent crimes. It is a busy area, expect some noise from events (Fun Fun Fun Fest, ACL, etc) lots of pedestrian traffic. Lock your car and keep your bike inside. Property crime is common.

It is much safer than the places I lived as a young adult, that is for sure!

Old 07-10-2014, 04:09 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,973,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaIL View Post
My daughter is moving to Austin and is considering an apartment in the Barton Springs Rd and 1st Street area. This area seems to be a pretty good/walkable area. Is it a safe area?
What are your opinions of living in this area? Does this area flood (often)?
It's as safe as most areas but traffic and noise can be a pain depending on special events held at Palmer, Zilker, Auditorium Shores etc. It's a popular area for young adults. If your daughter is old enough to relocating on her own, I'm sure she will be able to research and make her own adult decisions.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:45 PM

Centralaustinite - Thanks for the Helpful info.

Any info. on flooding in the area?

A-Tex - Thanks. Yes she is old enough to make her own Adult decisions! MY questions were for My Own peace of mind!

Old 07-11-2014, 01:33 PM

Is the apartment directly on the banks of Bouldin creek or something? Not sure why you are even asking about flooding.

No risk of flooding.

I would still advise renter's insurance and it is a lively area. Might mean she plans to attend every festival we have!

Old 07-11-2014, 05:01 PM

Centralaustinite - "Is the apartment directly on the banks of Bouldin creek or something? Not sure why you are even asking about flooding".

*** http://floodsafety.com/texas/regiona...tin_zone.htm#a ***

Reasons for asking about flooding: Colorado River in Close proximity, I've also come across many articles about the Austin area flooding/flash flooding. Just wanted to know if "this particular area" is prone to flooding or not.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaIL View Post
Centralaustinite - "Is the apartment directly on the banks of Bouldin creek or something? Not sure why you are even asking about flooding".

*** Austin, Texas "One of the most flood-prone regions in North America" ***

Reasons for asking about flooding: Colorado River in Close proximity, I've also come across many articles about the Austin area flooding/flash flooding. Just wanted to know if "this particular area" is prone to flooding or not.
No flooding!! The Colorado River in the stretch that runs through town is a constant level lake controlled by the Mansfield Dam and Longhorn dam. Any flood of that waterway would be 1. a freak occurrence involving extreme weather and dam malfunction and 2. would flood onto the north banks first and into downtown. If the Colorado River starts flooding into apartments on Barton Springs Road and S. First street . . . well, we would all have much bigger problems to contend with, like the impending end of the world!

The real flood danger in Austin comes from driving across flooded roadways! "Turn around, don't drown" isn't just a catchy saying! People drown that way in Texas every year. Worry about that, not her apartment flooding.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:04 PM

16,786 posts, read 49,409,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
No flooding!! The Colorado River in the stretch that runs through town is a constant level lake controlled by the Mansfield Dam and Longhorn dam. Any flood of that waterway would be 1. a freak occurrence involving extreme weather and dam malfunction and 2. would flood onto the north banks first and into downtown. If the Colorado River starts flooding into apartments on Barton Springs Road and S. First street . . . well, we would all have much bigger problems to contend with, like the impending end of the world!

The real flood danger in Austin comes from driving across flooded roadways! "Turn around, don't drown" isn't just a catchy saying! People drown that way in Texas every year. Worry about that, not her apartment flooding.
Having worked in that area for years, an studied the flood plain maps for the area, and having been responsible for several building projects in the area, I do not consider your statements to be entirely accurate. Actually, far from it.

If you go to this website you can see the moderate risk and high risk flood plain maps for Austin. Trulia Local - Visual analysis of local data There is a significant amount of property along the Colorado River and creeks emptying into it that are in the moderate risk category. I believe the "moderate risk" category corresponds to the 100 year flood plain maps. High risk is probably 25 year flood plain maps.

In both cases the Barton Springs Rd and S. First Street intersection would be at least partially flooded. As would City Hall in the moderate risk category.

You can also look up the FEMA maps here How to Find Your FIRM and Make a FIRMette | FEMA.gov

Last edited by CptnRn; 07-11-2014 at 06:12 PM..

Old 07-11-2014, 06:19 PM

Maybe so, I would still maintain that the greater danger would be from driving in a flood, not occupying an apartment in the area.

If one was purchasing a home or commercial property in that area, then that would be something different. But a young adult, renting an apartment (likely not on the first floor) in that area in the 100 year or even 25 year flood plain for a year or two? Not a risk I would worryabout.

(And I make a solemn vow that when my children strike out on their own I will not cyber-stalk their living choices or look at a single flood map!!)

Old 07-11-2014, 06:57 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,973,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Having worked in that area for years, an studied the flood plain maps for the area, and having been responsible for several building projects in the area, I do not consider your statements to be entirely accurate. Actually, far from it.

If you go to this website you can see the moderate risk and high risk flood plain maps for Austin. Trulia Local - Visual analysis of local data There is a significant amount of property along the Colorado River and creeks emptying into it that are in the moderate risk category. I believe the "moderate risk" category corresponds to the 100 year flood plain maps. High risk is probably 25 year flood plain maps.

In both cases the Barton Springs Rd and S. First Street intersection would be at least partially flooded. As would City Hall in the moderate risk category.

You can also look up the FEMA maps here How to Find Your FIRM and Make a FIRMette | FEMA.gov
And lest we forget this image from last year's Halloween flood: Halloween 2013 Austin Flood - Stevie Ray Vaughan Statue - During & After - ColoredLion.com - ColoredLion.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin