Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 06:48 PM

4 posts, read 16,725 times

Advertisements

When I first moved to Austin four years ago, ATT cell phone service was fairly dicey - dropped calls even when signal looked fine, impossible to make calls at SXSW, and sketchy signal in parts of Bee Cave/Lakeway. So, I switched to Verizon a few years ago with mostly good results.

Generally, Verizon has had good signal for voice and good data connections. About the only odd behavior is the occasional missed call that goes direct to voicemail even when the phone shows strong signal. I've had the phone sitting on my desk and received a voicemail notification for a call that clearly didn't ring the phone a minute earlier. Plus, I've had occasional weird delayed voicemail notifications (e.g., a new voicemail alert appearing for a message that was left a couple of days earlier.) This stuff isn't too frequent, though.

I'm considering switching back to ATT, mostly because their phones have better international coverage vs. Verizon's CDMA phones. Friends who have ATT in Austin say things have improved. But, the latest Consumer Reports survey showed that nationally ATT was the worst of the big carriers for customer satisfaction, and I still remember all my dropped calls.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 06:54 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,887,457 times
My sister lives just south of Austin, and has AT&T for cellular service. The signal is terrible inside the house, and she has to go find a spot somewhere in the yard. Dropped calls and terrible reception (even with an iPhone) are not unusual.

My Verizon works very well at her place, and I can almost always get a signal all over the Austin area, remote areas of West Texas and all of NM. When she and I were at our parents' place in WT, she had to use my phone for calls--she often couldn't get hers to go through.

I had weird delayed voice mail messages until I dialed Verizon (had to do this in TX, as it's a Midland number) and had my phone re-programmed remotely. That solved the problem.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:20 PM

15,273 posts, read 35,663,814 times
Quote:
(even with an iPhone)
iPhone is the worst for everyone I know.

Anyway, it depends on where you are, all the providers seem to have their weak areas. I have had no real problems with AT&T over the past decade plus in SW Austin, out in Wimberley, and in Fredricksburg, as well as traveling for work in various places. There is on area on southbound mopac near southwest parkway where I sometimes lose a call during rush hour, but that is about it.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:23 PM

625 posts, read 1,134,690 times
RootScore Report for Austin, TX May 2013 | RootMetrics

Old 07-10-2013, 10:02 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,095,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair44 View Post

Good information mayfair44.

I had Verizon years ago and had horrible customer service problems with them including a dispute that they refused to work with me to resolve, resulting in my refusing to pay, and them reporting a negative on my credit report for years. Screw them, my credit is so good, it was hardly a blip in my credit rating. They refused to work with me or discuss any compromise even though they were at fault. I switched to AT&T and have always had decent service, better local and nationwide access and have been much happier with them as my service provider.

There is no way I would ever consider going back to Verizon.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:03 PM

147 posts, read 596,120 times
Obviously real-world testing is the only sure way to discover what's best, but both AT&T and Verizon have solid coverage based on their maps.

Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint

Old 07-10-2013, 10:30 PM

Really depends on several factors. Since my ATT iphone is now unlocked, I tested a Tmobile prepaid plan, and actually got better signal strength and data transfer rates in my house. But when I got rural, their coverage fell off the map. Yeah, I swear when I walk past my front door, ATT drops my call. Solution- stop pacing during phone calls haha.

My friends in Lakeway are now on their third carrier- ATT, Sprint and Verizon all suck in their house. I told them to get rid of their house....

If you've got an unlocked phone, try a different prepaid carrier, on the same or different handset, for a month to check out performance in your unique environment. Can transfer your calls, but not the text/data though.

I've been a GTE>Cingular>ATT carrier through acquisition, in Austin, for almost 15 yrs I think. ATT has always given me a credit on any billing issue I've ever had- never a prob. I'm a Premiere customer through work and get the 25% corp discount, so not sure if that helps. When I called Tmobile to cancel my trial prepaid, I knew my call went offshore. Big difference.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:42 PM

147 posts, read 596,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair44 View Post
I'm a Premiere customer through work and get the 25% corp discount, so not sure if that helps.
Ah... I'm jealous. I never hear too many people getting a higher discount than me. I only get 24%. I've had their employees tell me it's higher than theirs. Not sure I believe that, though. My friend works for Sprint and she doesn't even get a phone bill. The only thing their employees (front-line, even) have to pay is insurance on the device if they so choose.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Good information mayfair44.

I had Verizon years ago and had horrible customer service problems with them including a dispute that they refused to work with me to resolve, resulting in my refusing to pay, and them reporting a negative on my credit report for years. Screw them, my credit is so good, it was hardly a blip in my credit rating. They refused to work with me or discuss any compromise even though they were at fault. I switched to AT&T and have always had decent service, better local and nationwide access and have been much happier with them as my service provider.

There is no way I would ever consider going back to Verizon.
Download the app: CoverageMap: compare cellphone carriers and test coverage | RootMetrics

Old 07-10-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDaleHerring View Post
Ah... I'm jealous. I never hear too many people getting a higher discount than me. I only get 24%. I've had their employees tell me it's higher than theirs. Not sure I believe that, though. My friend works for Sprint and she doesn't even get a phone bill. The only thing their employees (front-line, even) have to pay is insurance on the device if they so choose.
That 1% probably equates to less than a dollar more per month over mine. No diff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin