Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 05:10 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,293,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair44 View Post

My friends in Lakeway are now on their third carrier- ATT, Sprint and Verizon all suck in their house. I told them to get rid of their house....
We have Verizon personal phones and I have an AT&T work phone. Reception at our house in far SW sucks on both. Have to go upstairs for reliable coverage. Since we both office at home on Fridays, common occurrence when one has the land line tied up.

Thinking about a Verizon Wireless Network Extender. Little pissed that I have to buy it to solve their coverage problem, so we are negotiating the price right now. We'll see how it works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 06:26 AM

215 posts, read 351,776 times
Not really a bad idea.

I have been with Verizon since about 1994. Verizon bought Prime Co. about then. Remember the little pink Martian as their mascot? I was with Prime Co. for about two or maybe three years before that.

Verizon’s phone service has always been really good both nationally and locally. I have had an occasional problem. I understand technology is complicated, more than it has to be.

I have had my fair share of disputes. Verizon’s customer service has always worked with me regarding disputes, billing or otherwise. It has not always been just one call, but escalation works. They have always ruled in my favor somehow. Whether they gave me a discount or extra minutes, it has always worked out.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 07-11-2013, 07:55 AM

625 posts, read 1,136,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
We have Verizon personal phones and I have an AT&T work phone. Reception at our house in far SW sucks on both. Have to go upstairs for reliable coverage. Since we both office at home on Fridays, common occurrence when one has the land line tied up.

Thinking about a Verizon Wireless Network Extender. Little pissed that I have to buy it to solve their coverage problem, so we are negotiating the price right now. We'll see how it works.
It happens. I've got a few friends in town that always return my calls via-landline when home, to avoid the stress or fallback text. Obviously, not optimal when working from home office.

I'd start off with "comp the extender or I walk" lol. Perhaps go further with an aftermarket solution for both carriers, by mounting an outdoor antenna.

"In addition, if you need to support multiple carriers, then you'll want to use an omnidirectional (omni) outside antenna, which can send and receive from all directions at once. If you only need to support one carrier, then you can use a stronger yagi directional antenna, which you can aim at the closest cell tower and receive more boosting power than you would receive from an omni antenna."

How to Permanently Solve Bad Reception with a Cell Phone Signal Booster

Cell Phone Signal Boosters for Home & Office

Old 07-11-2013, 08:27 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,906,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
iPhone is the worst for everyone I know.

Anyway, it depends on where you are, all the providers seem to have their weak areas. I have had no real problems with AT&T over the past decade plus in SW Austin, out in Wimberley, and in Fredricksburg, as well as traveling for work in various places. There is on area on southbound mopac near southwest parkway where I sometimes lose a call during rush hour, but that is about it.
I was considering upgrading my flip LG phone to an iPhone when I am settled in Alpine--now I wonder...!

Old 07-11-2013, 01:48 PM

4 posts, read 16,732 times
Thanks for the great info, everyone. Much appreciated.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:05 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,135,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I was considering upgrading my flip LG phone to an iPhone when I am settled in Alpine--now I wonder...!

I have an iphone with ATT and was amazed driving out to Ft. Davis how good and consistent the coverage was! I had no problems at all. There are some blank spots particularly on low roads where lines of sight might be blocked by hills but in every town, Alpine, Marathon, Ft. Davis, even Van Horn, I had a strong signal.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:25 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,906,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I have an iphone with ATT and was amazed driving out to Ft. Davis how good and consistent the coverage was! I had no problems at all. There are some blank spots particularly on low roads where lines of sight might be blocked by hills but in every town, Alpine, Marathon, Ft. Davis, even Van Horn, I had a strong signal.
Hey, thanks, I appreciate it!

There is a local Verizon office in Alpine, which is why I've put off upgrading for several months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin