Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 03:01 PM

55 posts, read 92,395 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I live in Round Rock and TimeWarner Cable (TWC) has been my ISP for over 1.5 years now- before that I was living in Austin and was with Grande Communication. I wanted to stay with Grande in RR too but they told me they don't provide service in the location where I live in RR. Recently, despite continued poor service, TWC jacked up their price. Does have any suggestion regarding alternatives to TWC? I wanted to try Clear Communication (hence freeing myself from location essentially) but read bad reviews about them on the web. On another note, I am stuck with Dish in a 2-year contract. They are by far the worst Satellite (or any kind for that matter) TV provider. After my contract is over in July, I will kick the Dish out of my house with a Taekwondo side kick and celebrate with a 12-pack Shiner bock or something. Maybe throw a party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 04:46 PM

320 posts, read 350,216 times
There are only two high speed services available. TWC and Uverse. Clearwire and DSL are not high speed (10Mbps+).

Deals almost always involve a combo of internet/TV/phone; at least two of them. Satellite users get left out.

Sad but true, the FCC has kept us from the ultra high speed internet at low prices much of the 1st world experiences.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangergrit View Post
There are only two high speed services available. TWC and Uverse. Clearwire and DSL are not high speed (10Mbps+).

Deals almost always involve a combo of internet/TV/phone; at least two of them. Satellite users get left out.

Sad but true, the FCC has kept us from the ultra high speed internet at low prices much of the 1st world experiences.
It's really sad if that's the case i.e. the FCC has kept us from the ultra high speed internet at low prices. IMO Ultra-high internet should be accessible to everyone like highways. I was tempted to Clear for their freedom of choice to take the modem anywhere and not look for Starbucks when traveling or depend on a Hotel's WiFi but their speed sucks I think and they are not ultra-high speed anyway.

I was looking at this discussion and it seems that Uverse is much better than TWC overall. Even the TV experience is better:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...me-warner.html

The problem is all these guys jack up their price after the promotional period. Since my choices are limited, I guess I can switch to AT&T Uverse right now or wait for a few months for my 2-year contract with a horrible disease called DISH to get over and then hop onto AT&T Uverse's plan. Home Phone is useless since both of us (like everyone these days) has smartphone and we don't an additional line for telemarketers to call us all the time. Wish I had more options.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:45 PM

163 posts, read 411,668 times
If you only want internet without cable TV, I think you can still get it from Earthlink. They basically resell TW internet for a lower price, at least at first. I think you can even use the same equipment. After the promotion period maybe you'll be out of your dish contract and you can do a package with somebody else.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,264 times
I know that TWC started charging for modem rental. Can anyone out there with Earthlink let me know if they are paying for modem rental too? Since it seems you are essentially dealing with TWC most of the time anyway. If that's the case I would much rather purchase a modem on my own. Thanks.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:26 PM

99 posts, read 208,982 times
They also jacked up their DVR cost

Old 03-14-2013, 06:13 PM

16,786 posts, read 49,352,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qamarfaiz View Post
Want to Switch Internet Service Provider- TimeWarner sucks!
That is why I switched to AT&T. Who has provided much better service then what I got from TW.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:02 PM

100 posts, read 259,832 times
I'm thinking about switching to AT&T... once my neighbors learn to password protect their connections and kick me off!

Old 03-15-2013, 09:17 PM

54 posts, read 183,229 times
We just switched to AT&T and they have a deal right now where they locked in the price for 2 years, with only 1 year required. At least they won't raise the price for 2 years.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
That is why I switched to AT&T. Who has provided much better service then what I got from TW.
I will switch to their packaged deal (Internet + TV) once my contract with useless Dish gets over. I aint coming back to Dish EVER!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin