Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 05:14 PM

33 posts, read 74,171 times

Advertisements

Am moving to Elgin, outside of Austin proper but still in Travis county near Bastrop county line.

Looking for fast internet service ... other than satellite ... been there:done that.

Have been told that Time warner and AT&T ... but their web sites do not provide ability to check without calling ... and we have disconnected the phone for moving.

What fast internet service is available along hwy 290 ... close to Bastrop county line ... that does not require hard wired land line phone service?.

Development is Elk Creek ... as I recall it's name.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 02:50 PM

554 posts, read 1,747,625 times
try looking here Find Broadband Service Now | DSLReports.com, ISP Information

Old 08-12-2011, 03:08 PM

59 posts, read 116,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doonboggle View Post
Am moving to Elgin, outside of Austin proper but still in Travis county near Bastrop county line.
A friend of mine lives outside Elgin in the country and is quite happy with this service:

PVCo - Affordable Rural Broadband Internet

Coverage area:

Coverage | PVCo Rural Broadband Internet

My friend has been pretty happy with the service, since their only alternative is dial-up. No land-line required for this one.

Hope that helps.

P.S.: I have no personal experience with the service and have no affiliation with this company.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:33 PM

27 posts, read 77,929 times
I live 13 miles from the capital and the best option for me is PVCO. It is okay but it does not compare to Roadrunner but depending on where you live it may be the best you can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTx78660 View Post
A friend of mine lives outside Elgin in the country and is quite happy with this service:

PVCo - Affordable Rural Broadband Internet

Coverage area:

Coverage | PVCo Rural Broadband Internet

My friend has been pretty happy with the service, since their only alternative is dial-up. No land-line required for this one.

Hope that helps.

P.S.: I have no personal experience with the service and have no affiliation with this company.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:43 PM

Default Elk Creek

The house is in the Elk Creek subdivision, just inside the Travis county line on #290.

I 'thought' I had a valid answer yesterday with DirecTV. But they either 'lied' to me ... or 'mislead' me ... your pick. We are presently a user of them for TV. I was advised by a neighbor we talked to several weeks ago to check out AT&T ... no service for DSL ... and/or Time Warner.

Well ... TW claimed they had both internet AND DSL as a bundle ... and dislosed it to be thru DTV. SO made notes and signed off....because house is not yet out of escrow.
Then wife reminded me of our existing DTV usage ... so called them to see if their 'bundle' was any less money ... which it was.
But, also during the conversation, I was told by their rept. that internet was via WildBlue satelitte ... a FAR CRY FROM FAST !! Been there ...... done that for about 5-6 years at present location ..... and it was BARELY above dial-up speed.

So now I't thinking of refusing the DTV bundle ... except for TV ... and looking further.

For internet, we presently have a wireless system following the Verizon system. A 'reseller' ... Millenicom ... gives us 20GB rather than 5GB that VZ gives ... for same cost.

Omly bad thing with it is it tends to slow down notably as the day ends and nite comes ... from downloaders of films as I've read on DSLReports.

I'd still like to find a faster internet service ... except not being satelitte.

Apologize for not disclosing house previously, so hope this will ignite specific information.
At the time of my initial post, was not yet certain house would be approved ... short sale. Now ... according to re agent ... have about 3 weeks to go.

TIA

Old 08-15-2011, 06:25 PM

27 posts, read 77,929 times
Is Eccentrix in that subdivision? They are another wireless group out of Copeland which claim that they are faster than the other wireless competitors.

I have never heard of Millenicom....

I thought that Roadrunner was into the subdivisions along 290 but maybe it is not out to the county line. I know it has only been the last year or so that they made it into some of the subdivisions in Manor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doonboggle View Post
The house is in the Elk Creek subdivision, just inside the Travis county line on #290.

I 'thought' I had a valid answer yesterday with DirecTV. But they either 'lied' to me ... or 'mislead' me ... your pick. We are presently a user of them for TV. I was advised by a neighbor we talked to several weeks ago to check out AT&T ... no service for DSL ... and/or Time Warner.

Well ... TW claimed they had both internet AND DSL as a bundle ... and dislosed it to be thru DTV. SO made notes and signed off....because house is not yet out of escrow.
Then wife reminded me of our existing DTV usage ... so called them to see if their 'bundle' was any less money ... which it was.
But, also during the conversation, I was told by their rept. that internet was via WildBlue satelitte ... a FAR CRY FROM FAST !! Been there ...... done that for about 5-6 years at present location ..... and it was BARELY above dial-up speed.

So now I't thinking of refusing the DTV bundle ... except for TV ... and looking further.

For internet, we presently have a wireless system following the Verizon system. A 'reseller' ... Millenicom ... gives us 20GB rather than 5GB that VZ gives ... for same cost.

Omly bad thing with it is it tends to slow down notably as the day ends and nite comes ... from downloaders of films as I've read on DSLReports.

I'd still like to find a faster internet service ... except not being satelitte.

Apologize for not disclosing house previously, so hope this will ignite specific information.
At the time of my initial post, was not yet certain house would be approved ... short sale. Now ... according to re agent ... have about 3 weeks to go.

TIA

Old 08-15-2011, 07:58 PM

Default Millenicom

Millenicom is 3G/G3 ... and reseller of Verizon's 3G/G3-G4 plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi4321 View Post
Is Eccentrix in that subdivision? They are another wireless group out of Copeland which claim that they are faster than the other wireless competitors.

I thought that Roadrunner was into the subdivisions along 290 but maybe it is not out to the county line. I know it has only been the last year or so that they made it into some of the subdivisions in Manor.

Last edited by doonboggle; 08-15-2011 at 08:17 PM..

Old 08-15-2011, 08:19 PM

308 posts, read 601,067 times
also check out CLEAR Wireless Internet from CLEAR 1-800-313-1277

Old 08-15-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Barton View Post

Just gave their website the zip code ... and no availability of service there.

What is Roadrunner that others suggest? I did a google search, and came up with what appeared to be their web site ... and in viewing details, see the same baloney that Time Warner misrepresented ... as in DSL service. In further checking, TW appears to be only in cahoots with DirecTV ... and ultimately Wildblue satelitte.

If this is incorrect, please advise ... but that's what I came up with once off with TW and talked direct to DirecTV rep.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:39 AM

Went to their web site, and most of the links on the 'page' do not work.... including 'Contact' link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi4321 View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: