Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 06:00 PM

4 posts, read 14,161 times

Advertisements

i googled across this forum - and i read through the volumes of postings from the good-hearted white folks (assumption - i know) trying to provide advice about things of which they know not. or very little.

so to all of my "tree-hugging/soco-loving/acl fest-going/leslie-for-mayor/i-(heart)-salamanders/whole-foods-shopping/kgsr-rules/walmarx-sux/flugtag-rocked!/gimme-amy's-or-gimme death/when-do-the-bats fly?/keep-austin-weird" fellow austinites - relax. i got this one.

im not a regular on this site - and doubt i'll surf back this way again anytime soon...but for all of the regular posters - please help my people out and make note of these 2 websites:

Moderator cut: advertising

the former has an abundance of events of interest to the black community. i.e. can tell you where to find and plug into the black community here in austin.

the latter can help you find all of the black professional services providers, businesses, restaurants, churches and organizations.

and the big question - where do black people in austin live? IN GENERAL, you will find us in concentrated pockets in pflugerville, round rock, hutto and cedar park. now that those areas are becoming somewhat saturated - there's a slow migration towards the manor area.

"black folk are in east austin" is an outdated perception. blacks have been moving from the east side in steady numbers since the 70s. east austin is now a highly gentrified area of town - as demonstrated by the numerous sightings of young white women jogging "LEISURELY" through the streets of east austin after dark. still never ceases to catch me off guard. there are also older black neighborhoods - mostly folks who grew up here - in northeast austin. good luck finding us south of town lake or west of 35.

so there you have it between soulciti and the black pages - anyone looking to plug directly into austin's black community will be well-served to start there.

ps: for any film projects looking to shoot a tarzan movie in austin - tell them to come back the first weekend in april - texas relays and urban music fest weekend. Urban Music Festival 2007 : Austin, TX - June 23, 2007 (shut up. it's just a joke. i can say it.) seriously though - urban music fest is to black austin what sxsw and acl fest are to the rest of austin.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 11-07-2007 at 08:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 06:23 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,688,656 times
Good post...thanks for putting it here

Old 11-07-2007, 06:51 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,897,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donell View Post
i read through the volumes of postings from the good-hearted white folks (assumption - i know) trying to provide advice about things of which they know not. or very little.

so to all of my "tree-hugging/soco-loving/acl fest-going/leslie-for-mayor/i-(heart)-salamanders/whole-foods-shopping/kgsr-rules/walmarx-sux/flugtag-rocked!/gimme-amy's-or-gimme death/when-do-the-bats fly?/keep-austin-weird" fellow austinites - relax. i got this one.

Other than this sort of arrogant and disrespectful section, you post seems like it will be very helpful to relocated black folks.

Damn, I didn't know that all of those things in your list were only here for white people to enjoy. Oh, and thanks for summing up my existence for me.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:49 AM

well - i thought the tone of my post was quite tongue-in-cheek. and not meant to offend. so if you are offended....

Old 11-08-2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
well - i thought the tone of my post was quite tongue-in-cheek. and not meant to offend. so if you are offended....
I don't really get offended personally by stuff like that, I get offended philosophically. Does that make sense? I'm actually not an over-hyped PC kind of person but I think when people think they're being tongue-in-cheek when generalizing people, the lines get sort of muddled. I've personally got myself in trouble doing the same thing, so maybe that's just my experiences reacting.

Again, I think your post was very helpful and I hope folks read it(although I see one of your links got cut).

I don't really like how separate the black and white communities are here. I understand comfort levels and such but....I was hoping Austin would be moving away from that sort of thing. I guess that's just America.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:23 PM

okay - i give up. black folks looking to plug in to the black community in austin - good luck. we're DEFINITELY here. google keywords like "black, african american, austin" etc and you will eventually find what you are looking for online.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 11-08-2007 at 12:48 PM..

Old 11-08-2007, 02:27 PM

Quote:
okay - i give up. black folks looking to plug in to the black community in austin - good luck. we're DEFINITELY here. google keywords like "black, african american, austin" etc and you will eventually find what you are looking for online.

What are you giving up?

Old 11-08-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post

What are you giving up?
site policy prohibits me from explaining why im frustrated.

ha!

but basically - b/c i am the publisher of the above mentioned websites - i am now allowed to post the direct urls to the sites.

if any of you veteran posters are able to find the 2 sites im referring to - and agree that they are indeed valuable information resources for african americans looking to relocate to austin - it would be nice if you could (as an objective 3rd party) save those folks time from trying to google the sites and post the urls here in this thread.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
site policy prohibits me from explaining why im frustrated.

ha!

but basically - b/c i am the publisher of the above mentioned websites - i am now allowed to post the direct urls to the sites.

if any of you veteran posters are able to find the 2 sites im referring to - and agree that they are indeed valuable information resources for african americans looking to relocate to austin - it would be nice if you could (as an objective 3rd party) save those folks time from trying to google the sites and post the urls here in this thread.
Here's what I would do: In your public profile, I think you can link put links to them as your own website. I know that feature is there because lots of people here have websites. That way, it's not on the posts, just on your profile.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:54 PM

238 posts, read 763,077 times
Quote:
as demonstrated by the numerous sightings of young white women jogging "LEISURELY" through the streets of east austin after dark.
There's still plenty of crime in East Austin. I'm not saying it's not improving... but where are you seeing these women?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin