Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 02:26 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,400,510 times

Advertisements

Austin Envy - Forbes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 04:20 PM

404 posts, read 712,399 times
thanks Forbes! We're keeping it totally weird with the $500,000 condos on the lake!

Old 06-05-2013, 04:24 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,885,842 times
At some point, people in the rest of the country are going to get sick of reading/hearing about Austin, right?

Right??!

Old 06-05-2013, 04:39 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,505,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
At some point, people in the rest of the country are going to get sick of reading/hearing about Austin, right?

Right??!
I am now oh wait, is that only because I am "envious" Austin's secret sauce is that Houston is so close, and contributes thousands of refugees every year. In the article she mentions Rice migrants, and Whole foods, which was started by John Mackey as major contributors, both Houston bred

Old 06-05-2013, 04:46 PM

404 posts, read 712,399 times
  • John Mays 1 hour ago
    Austin hasn’t been “weird” in 20+ years. It used to be, no doubt. Now? Not so much.

• Bruce Darling 12 minutes ago
    Whatever made Austin a “weird” city has long been buried beneath gaudy MacMansions, ugly high-rise condos, traffic that moves like frozen molasses, skyrocketing real estate values and property taxes, and a raft of pointless and very expensive “green” ordinances shoved down the throats of residents by a gaggle of hare-brained left-wingers on the City Council. The soul of old Austin is now dimly lit, if not extinguished. Its once authentic “weirdness” has been replaced by slogans plastered on bumper stickers (“Keep Austin Weird”) adorning BMWs, Audis, and Hummers. Austin is weird no more.

• Parajit Patel 11 minutes ago
    AUSTIN NOW HAS 170 PEOPLE MOVING HERE PER DAY, PARTIALLY THANKS TO FORBES! the job market is ultra tight, traffic is miserable, apartment inventories are 97% occupied, and the cost of living withing 10 miles of downtown has grown by around 30%.
    Forbes is simply advertising for commercial real estate developers. If you want to move here, I hope you can afford a $500,000 condo downtown! suckers!

Old 06-05-2013, 06:43 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,376,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post

Right??!
Right after freaking Tom Joad IV returns from California, I suppose.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:44 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,281,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
...and Whole foods, which was started by John Mackey as major contributors, both Houston bred
Well, if you want to go that far, you could include Michael Dell and me - both "Houston bred". But you notice that none of the three of us want to live in Houston. In fact, based on comments at my last RE Lee reunion, the number of people in Houston who want to live in Austin FAR exceeds the number of people in Austin who want to live in Houston.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Well, if you want to go that far, you could include Michael Dell and me - both "Houston bred". But you notice that none of the three of us want to live in Houston. In fact, based on comments at my last RE Lee reunion, the number of people in Houston who want to live in Austin FAR exceeds the number of people in Austin who want to live in Houston.
Did you ask Michael Dell or are you assuming .

I agree wholeheartedly that Austin is more of a drain on Houston than vice-versa. A lot of that is demographics! My point was the modern Austin economy was built by people originally from Houston, more so, than Austin, and you help to further that point, thanks.

I think Houston can and should do more to retain talent that is nurtured here, and developed somewhere else, but that article had a subtext, that I think a lot of Austinites will fail to notice.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:16 PM

313 posts, read 786,681 times
I know about a dozen people in Houston. Not a single one wants to be there, all are trapped by something, mostly energy related jobs.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul6835 View Post
I know about a dozen people in Houston. Not a single one wants to be there, all are trapped by something, mostly energy related jobs.
My guess is you avoid people who don't tell you what you want to hear about Houston, or people who like Houston avoid you, either way, you get a slanted result. There are loads of people here, who like it here, and at the very least wouldn't want to live anywhere else in Texas.

Remember the media loves to knock down what it once built up, be careful about buying into the hype
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin