Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 10:42 AM

216 posts, read 298,484 times

Advertisements

Hello good people of Austin,

Let me start off by saying first I've heard nothing but good things about Austin. I have never been to Austin and thought I would seek advice from the people who know Austin best. Someone at my mom's job said something to her about the San Marcos premium outlets a couple of years ago and I have been promising her every since that I would one day take her there. I know some may say don't waste my time with that but it's her birthday and A promise I made and plan to keep. So that aside, we plan to fly in on Tues Jun 4th(early morning) and fly back out Friday Jun 7th. I'll be traveling with my wife, daughter, dad and mom. Assuming we'll probably spend half a day or so at San Marcos, that leaves us about 2 to 2 1/2 days to check Austin out. So what are the must see's and do's for that amount of time? The wife and I had been planning on checking Austin out as a possible place to move in our future. So this give us the chance to fulfill my promise to my mom and scope the city out for our own reasons.

Things we like and about us

I'm into art , unique and "off" type things (an artistic person myself)
Wife is a big "foody"
We both love live music...pretty open to all music.
People watching can be an event within itself
I'm a intermediate photographer, so would like to visit some scenic, memorable and picturesque places.
we are ok with some touristy things, but love to appreciate things from a local perspective
My wife and I have been all over the world traveling and backpacking.
My daughter is pretty easy going at 11, but maybe doing something specific for her.
My parents will probably just go along with the flow.
Yes, we will have a car the whole time.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 11:09 AM

155 posts, read 211,477 times
San Marcos Outlets is huge. You'll be skimming the surface in half a day as it's in fact 2 outlets located side-by-side.

Since you're into photography, here are some spots I've always enjoyed clicking. BTW these are all touristy spots/things to do as well.
1) Capitol building -inside and outside
2) Silhouette shooting of downtown and Congress ave bridge while on a bat cruise at sundown.
3) Mount Bonnell

Hope this helps. I'm sure others will weigh in on food, live music etc.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimusPilus View Post
San Marcos Outlets is huge. You'll be skimming the surface in half a day as it's in fact 2 outlets located side-by-side.

Since you're into photography, here are some spots I've always enjoyed clicking. BTW these are all touristy spots/things to do as well.
1) Capitol building -inside and outside
2) Silhouette shooting of downtown and Congress ave bridge while on a bat cruise at sundown.
3) Mount Bonnell

Hope this helps. I'm sure others will weigh in on food, live music etc.
Wow.......I had no idea it was that big. I just read online where someone said it's about 1 1/2 miles long and spands two exits. Okay looks like we'll easily be there all day especially with 3 women who love to shop. Guess that only leaves 2 days for doing other things.

Thanks for the advice. I will defintely look into all of those suggestions. I can only assume since you suggested it there is no problem taking a DSLR into the Capital building?

Once again thanks.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:49 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times
Read the sticky Welcome to Austin thread for some previous similar threads with lots of ideas: https://www.city-data.com/forum/28738522-post10.html

If you are going to drive to the outlet malls, drive another 11 miles for lunch at the Grist Mill in Gruene, TX. It is a unique experience. It has some amazing shaded patio decks on the top of the hill overlooking the river. http://www.gristmillrestaurant.com/

As well as some wonderful indoor dining areas inside the historic restored Grist Mill.

Then drive back to Austin on the scenic river road described in this thread here https://www.city-data.com/forum/24381286-post6.html

Last edited by CptnRn; 05-23-2013 at 12:01 PM..

Old 05-23-2013, 11:57 AM

50 posts, read 190,910 times
One thing about the San Marcos Outlets is it's really spread out and you will be walking outdoors between stores so keep that in mind.

You said your wife is a big "foody", does she like any type of food in particular? She'd probably enjoy a visit to Whole Foods' flagship store downtown and it's a great place to people watch as well. You'd be remiss not to try out a bbq place while you're here. I suggest John Mueller Meat Co. Definitely on par with our famous Franklin BBQ without having to wait a few hours in line though John has an interesting personality that sometimes rubs people the wrong way.

First Thursday on SoCo (South Congress) may interest you. It's a bit touristy but it's an artsy event and also great for people watching.

As for live music, I usually look to Do512 for who is going to play on a certain day. Some good choices (according to my personal musical taste) are The Wine Down at ACL Live with Ruby Jane and Milo Greene at the Parish on Wednesday, KGSR's Unplugged at The Grove on Thursday.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Read the sticky Welcome to Austin thread for some previous similar threads with lots of ideas: https://www.city-data.com/forum/28738522-post10.html

Sorry......I just stumbled across that. The Atlanta forum isn't organized in that way. I must say It makes it a lot easier to find what you are looking for.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayoticworld View Post
Wow.......I had no idea it was that big. I just read online where someone said it's about 1 1/2 miles long and spands two exits. Okay looks like we'll easily be there all day especially with 3 women who love to shop. Guess that only leaves 2 days for doing other things.

Thanks for the advice. I will defintely look into all of those suggestions. I can only assume since you suggested it there is no problem taking a DSLR into the Capital building?

Once again thanks.
To be honest with you I have always found the outlet malls to be a disappointment, even my wife could not find much she wanted. I can't imagine spending more then an hour or so there.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:07 PM

44 posts, read 45,365 times
ART:

Austin Art Yards

Cathedral of Junk - Austin, TX

also the Blanton Museum(near UT)

Food:

Fonda San Miguel is a cool experience. La Condessa. Also the food trucks on E.6th(East of I-35). There's a place called Via 313 with Detroit style Pizza, Veracruz All Natural has killer migas breakfast tacos(they also have a truck on cesar chavez), good vietnamese, vegan, etc. For foodies: Uchi or Uchiko, Barley Swine, Foreign and Domestic

Also, Amy's Ice Cream is really delicious and has locations all over.

Also for photography and outdoorsy stuff the Greenbelt is nice. And of course Barton Springs.

Where are you staying?

Old 05-23-2013, 12:26 PM

CptnRn.......that place looks awesome. I'll have to show the wife that tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankey View Post
One thing about the San Marcos Outlets is it's really spread out and you will be walking outdoors between stores so keep that in mind.

You said your wife is a big "foody", does she like any type of food in particular? She'd probably enjoy a visit to Whole Foods' flagship store downtown and it's a great place to people watch as well. You'd be remiss not to try out a bbq place while you're here. I suggest John Mueller Meat Co. Definitely on par with our famous Franklin BBQ without having to wait a few hours in line though John has an interesting personality that sometimes rubs people the wrong way.

First Thursday on SoCo (South Congress) may interest you. It's a bit touristy but it's an artsy event and also great for people watching.

As for live music, I usually look to Do512 for who is going to play on a certain day. Some good choices (according to my personal musical taste) are The Wine Down at ACL Live with Ruby Jane and Milo Greene at the Parish on Wednesday, KGSR's Unplugged at The Grove on Thursday.
Yes she is a true "Foody" and enjoys all types of food. I am to, to a degree but she really gets into food on a level I just don't. I can't say that she likes a specific style over another. We are both pretty open to all types, I am just not a seafood person. But I don't expect that to present itself as a problem in Texas. BBQ is certainly on the list of eating and I'll make sure to look into the place you suggested.

First Thursday does indeed look interesting. Its awesome that we will just happen to be there at that time. I think we will without a doubt check that out. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
To be honest with you I have always found the outlet malls to be a disappointment, even my wife could not find much she wanted. I can't imagine spending more then an hour or so there.
I think the only thing I really care to go and see is probably Ralph Lauren, Kenneth Cole and Cole Hann. Other than that I could care less. Just fufilling my promise......

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzoo View Post
ART:

Austin Art Yards

Cathedral of Junk - Austin, TX

also the Blanton Museum(near UT)

Food:

Fonda San Miguel is a cool experience. La Condessa. Also the food trucks on E.6th(East of I-35). There's a place called Via 313 with Detroit style Pizza, Veracruz All Natural has killer migas breakfast tacos(they also have a truck on cesar chavez), good vietnamese, vegan, etc. For foodies: Uchi or Uchiko, Barley Swine, Foreign and Domestic

Also, Amy's Ice Cream is really delicious and has locations all over.

Also for photography and outdoorsy stuff the Greenbelt is nice. And of course Barton Springs.

Where are you staying?
Thanks for those links......I'll check them out. The wife loves the food trucks....I think just because she likes being surprised by what shes getting. So that sounds good. We both love Vietnamese, Thai, Peruvian, Mexican, Italian, French..........(list goes on and on)
on the Greenbelt.
As of now we will be staying at TownePlace suites Austin Nw(Noth Capital of Tx Hwy) but that could change by then.

Last edited by kayoticworld; 05-23-2013 at 12:46 PM..

Old 05-23-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayoticworld View Post
CptnRn.......that place looks awesome. I'll have to show the wife that tonight.

Yes she is a true "Foody" and enjoys all types of food. I am to, to a degree but she really gets into food on a level I just don't.
I forgot to mention that they have really good food there with a broad menu, and downtown Gruene, across the street has several quaint shops and antique stores that are fun to explore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin