Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 01:13 PM

251 posts, read 398,398 times

Advertisements

Go swimming in Barton Springs, take a walk through the University of Texas campus and the Capitol grounds, rent a canoe on Barton Creek and paddle down to Town Lake. If you're in town on a Friday evening grab a bite, and a few beers, at the Cafe at Central Market on Lamar. They have great live music from around the world there every Friday on the patio. A short drive to Lockhart for BBQ would be worth it as well.

For your daughter it might prove difficult to find entertaining stuff for her. A typical event search on austin360.com on a Friday evening will turn up around 150 events. But check the "kid friendly" check box and the number of events usually drops below 5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 02:15 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzoo View Post
ART:

Austin Art Yards

Cathedral of Junk - Austin, TX

also the Blanton Museum(near UT)

Food:

Fonda San Miguel is a cool experience. La Condessa. Also the food trucks on E.6th(East of I-35). There's a place called Via 313 with Detroit style Pizza, Veracruz All Natural has killer migas breakfast tacos(they also have a truck on cesar chavez), good vietnamese, vegan, etc. For foodies: Uchi or Uchiko, Barley Swine, Foreign and Domestic

Also, Amy's Ice Cream is really delicious and has locations all over.

Also for photography and outdoorsy stuff the Greenbelt is nice. And of course Barton Springs.

Where are you staying?
La Condesa is a hip and cool oriented place with nice and interesting but expensive Mexican food and aloof arrogant service. Just like most hipster places.

For the OP - there is so much interesting and good food in Austin - you need to tell us what you imagine you might want to eat and how much money you are willing to spend. Feeding 5 at Uchi could easily set you back $300-$500.

For live music I suggest you look at the music calendar at Austin TX entertainment, events, food, movies, music | www.austin360.com or Austin News, Events, Restaurants, Music - The Austin Chronicle.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:56 PM

216 posts, read 298,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
For the OP - there is so much interesting and good food in Austin - you need to tell us what you imagine you might want to eat and how much money you are willing to spend. Feeding 5 at Uchi could easily set you back $300-$500.
You are right, I am afraid I was being too general in regard to food preferences. Like I said we are open to almost any kind of food, but if we are going to come to Austin we would generally want to eat what is indicative to the region. However if anyone feels that there is just "this one place we gotta try" and is known "for the best"....fill in the blank, please feel free to chime in. I guess in this case we would want to try some good old fashion Texas BBQ, some good Tex-mex or straight out authentic Mexican, a good Tapas bar would be great. I don't mind splurging on something if its well worth it, but yes Uchi sounds a little too high on what we want to spend. I would say if we were going to a nice establishment I wouldn't want to spend more than 35-50 pp. We could go more, but like I said it would have to be really worth it. Thanks for all the advice guys!

Old 05-23-2013, 10:04 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Take your daughter to Schlitterbahn while the women shop. Your daughter will thank you for it, and you will not have to endure the shopping

Schlitterbahn is very close to the San Marcos outlet mall.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:35 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayoticworld View Post
I guess in this case we would want to try some good old fashion Texas BBQ, some good Tex-mex or straight out authentic Mexican, a good Tapas bar would be great. I don't mind splurging on something if its well worth it, but yes Uchi sounds a little too high on what we want to spend.
One thing to be careful about when it comes to barbeque places - most are only open for lunch. I would second the John Mueller Meat Co. recommendation over Franklin because the small difference in food isn't worth the two hours in line. But both close when out of food - which will always be early afternoon. If you want dinner, then Stiles Switch on N Lamar made the recent Texas Monthly Top 50 list along with the aforementioned pair. Excellent. With a caveat - the food isn't equal to any of these - you could also consider a short drive in the country to the Salt Lick. The food is good, not great, but the setting and the experience are quintessential Texas and not duplicated anywhere else. Where we take visitors who aren't food snobs - like me. Open for dinner. Take cash and your own beer.

OK, if that didn't set off enough of a firestorm, let me set off another with a Tex Mex recommendation - Matt's El Rancho. Is is the palace of Tex Mex - owned by the same family for fifty years. No, it isn't interior Mexican like Fonda San Miguel. Completely different genre. An early summer evening sitting under the oaks on the patio - sipping a Mexican martini, waiting on your smoked chicken enchiladas, is paradise. Every other Thursday, Marichi Jalisco (call to check). Finish with the complementary classics of sherbet or pralines and you have experienced the Tex Mex ne plus ultra.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:43 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
I agree that the Salt Lick is a great place to go for someone visiting Austin for the first time. BBQ aficionados might recommend some of other places all around Austin, but the Salt Lick earned its popularity a long time ago. Take a cooler because they don't sell beer. Good BBQ is not expensive, but it is not cheap.

For Tex-Mex, Matt's El Rancho is a gooc choice, though I would probably go to Chuy's instead. Chuy's is a younger feeling place and has a slightly more modern flavor of Tex-Mex. More dishes with green chiles and tomatillos. The original is the location on Barton Springs road (near Zilker park and Barton Springs itself).

A foodie might really want to visit the downtown Whole Foods location. It is HQ, and a "destination" food store.

Amy's Ice Cream, already mentioned, is local. Premium stuff with distinct local flavor (!) such as Mexican vanilla and Shiner Bock ice creams.

Burgers and beer at Hop Doddy (crowded at peak times).

Great comfort food at Moonshine Grill.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:25 AM

25 posts, read 36,318 times
While you are in San Marcos, eat at Herbert's Taco Hut. Its located just off the interstate in San Marcos between Austin and the outlet malls. The address is 419 Riverside Drive, San Marcos, TX 78666. Also check out Rio Vista Park in San Marcos (right near Herbert's) and take a stroll through downtown San Marcos (the Square).

Old 05-24-2013, 12:12 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
I'd also recommend the Salt Lick, especially with a kiddo or a lot of people. Some of the purist BBQ joints people rave about are kind of dive-y, tend to be quite hot in the summer, run out of food early, and have long waits.

And if you are going out that way, check out Hamilton Pool -

Hamilton Pool Preserve - Dripping Springs - Reviews of Hamilton Pool Preserve - TripAdvisor

Old 05-24-2013, 12:54 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,623,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayoticworld View Post
CptnRn.......that place looks awesome. I'll have to show the wife that tonight.

Yes she is a true "Foody" and enjoys all types of food. I am to, to a degree but she really gets into food on a level I just don't. I can't say that she likes a specific style over another. We are both pretty open to all types, I am just not a seafood person. But I don't expect that to present itself as a problem in Texas. BBQ is certainly on the list of eating and I'll make sure to look into the place you suggested.

First Thursday does indeed look interesting. Its awesome that we will just happen to be there at that time. I think we will without a doubt check that out. Thanks!

I think the only thing I really care to go and see is probably Ralph Lauren, Kenneth Cole and Cole Hann. Other than that I could care less. Just fufilling my promise......

Thanks for those links......I'll check them out. The wife loves the food trucks....I think just because she likes being surprised by what shes getting. So that sounds good. We both love Vietnamese, Thai, Peruvian, Mexican, Italian, French..........(list goes on and on)
on the Greenbelt.
As of now we will be staying at TownePlace suites Austin Nw(Noth Capital of Tx Hwy) but that could change by then.

Since your staying in that part of town and want to shop you might check out the Arboretum or Domain shopping areas there's also an Outlet mall in Round Rock it's not as big as the one in San Marcos though. Downtown you can tour the Governor's Mansion or check out the places on 2nd street there's also the French Legation Museum i'd also go out to the oasis and see the sunset over Lake Travis and maby have a drink.

Arboretum at Great Hills Mobile Website - Austin, TX 78759-5854 - Simon Malls

The Domain® Mobile Website - Austin, TX 78758-8694 - Simon Malls

Round Rock Premium Outlets

Friends of the Texas Governor's Mansion

French Legation Museum | Austin's oldest home: Bearing witness to the past, present and future

2ND Street District | Austin, Texas

The Oasis on Lake Travis | Sunset Capital of Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin