Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2013, 07:28 AM

318 posts, read 671,062 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been to the home and garden show taking place this weekend? Is it a good show? Have gardening ideas, plants, accessories?

I have been to shows in Atlanta (no good) and Nashville (incredible) and wondered if this one is worthwhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 07:36 AM

912 posts, read 1,287,411 times
I think we went last year. It's just a lot of booths. We saw one really good talk - but then, we weren't very organized either and missed some others we probably would have liked.

What was it about Nashville's that you liked?

Old 02-27-2013, 09:40 AM

318 posts, read 671,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmer View Post
I think we went last year. It's just a lot of booths. We saw one really good talk - but then, we weren't very organized either and missed some others we probably would have liked.

What was it about Nashville's that you liked?
LOTS of lectures regarding different things-weed control, growing and using herbs, creating vegetable gardens, etc. And many really neat, unique sales booths of items for gardening, decor, food, you name it. The garden designs were incredible. Of course, it's called a "Lawn and Garden Show" so probably more tailored to what I am hoping this one in Austin is like.

Here's the Nashville one:

http://www.nashvillelawnandgardenshow.com/home.html

If this one is going to be a bunch of tiles, kitchen faucets, windows, I am not sure I want to spend the money to park.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:45 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,589,524 times
There used to be a nice one at Baylor University up in Waco. It made for a nice drive and day walking around.
I thought it was Texas Gardner that held it there.

I tried to google it and nothing came up so maybe they don't hold it anymore.
Got some awesome folding tomato/cucumber heavy rings from there that I still use each year.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:00 AM

912 posts, read 1,287,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppymeg View Post
LOTS of lectures regarding different things-weed control, growing and using herbs, creating vegetable gardens, etc. And many really neat, unique sales booths of items for gardening, decor, food, you name it. The garden designs were incredible. Of course, it's called a "Lawn and Garden Show" so probably more tailored to what I am hoping this one in Austin is like.

If this one is going to be a bunch of tiles, kitchen faucets, windows, I am not sure I want to spend the money to park.
It's very remodeling focused... There are some lawn/garden displays and booths (and some food/cooking booths), but I don't recall any talks in that direction and the schedule this year shows only one talk is geared towards the outdoors (about water conservation): Celebrity Stage Schedule

This: Zilker Garden Festival
Or this: Plant Sales - Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center
Are probably more up your alley

Old 02-27-2013, 10:13 AM

5,871 posts, read 11,946,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmer View Post
It's very remodeling focused... There are some lawn/garden displays and booths (and some food/cooking booths), but I don't recall any talks in that direction and the schedule this year shows only one talk is geared towards the outdoors (about water conservation): Celebrity Stage Schedule

This: Zilker Garden Festival
Or this: Plant Sales - Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center
Are probably more up your alley
Agree - the H&G show is more for home improvements. The Zilker festival is great and they also have other events relating to planting and gardening.

ZBG Calendar of Events

Old 02-27-2013, 11:45 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,573,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppymeg View Post

We went to one in the Galleria in Atlanta years ago...about two booths of interest, the others were making hard sales pitches(Buy TODAY...this price only good TODAY). Bought my first 'sham-wow' back then and was 'introduced' to the Little Giant Ladder(bought later at a much lower price).

There was a 'green' push about years ago in Austin, probably coinciding with the federal tax credits for improvements to home systems, insulation, etc. That made for some slightly more interesting show talk; but I have to wonder how many of those folks are even still in business .

I'd take a swing by IF it were a rainy, cold late winter weekend...guess I won't have to worry about THAT

I think if you have a specific project in mind, you could get some ideas there for a patio, sunroom, windows, deck, hardscaping, etc.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:34 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,986,034 times
It's great to get leads if you've got home improvement projects to do - we started going about 4 years ago, and with a brand new house we had just built, there wasn't a lot that we really needed. But some booths are really fun (I got a VitaMix last year and LOVE IT!!) and you can get some good ideas for various things. There are some booths with beautiful plants, but they sell out rather quickly. If you can score a ticket for free through a contact or a vendor, and if you can find free/cheap parking, it's worth it for an afternoon. And oh, the cinnamon sugar nut booth....

Old 02-27-2013, 05:04 PM
McJ

169 posts, read 480,685 times
My company is going to be there. I have a free ticket you can pick up at our office in Lakeway if you are interested. Just DM me and I'll give you the address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: