Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,116 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be retiring to Austin soon and would appreciate any help in locating garden or townhomes in these areas: South, SW, or West Austin. Could be new or pre-owned; $175-$225K price range; min. 2 bdrm. 2 bathrooms. We like the idea of being close to the Lakeway area but not in the city of Lakeway because their HOA dues seem to be so excessive. I search the real estate sites for active listings and have discovered a few townhomes, but hardly any garden homes. Thought someone might know of neighborhoods in these areas that I could keep an eye on as we drive and do our research. Are there any new communities being developed that might include garden/townhomes? We're empty nesters and have unloaded our big old house on the big old lot and are looking forward to lower maintenance living. I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 03:31 PM

184 posts, read 1,007,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGal2000 View Post
My husband and I will be retiring to Austin soon and would appreciate any help in locating garden or townhomes in these areas: South, SW, or West Austin. Could be new or pre-owned; $175-$225K price range; min. 2 bdrm. 2 bathrooms. We like the idea of being close to the Lakeway area but not in the city of Lakeway because their HOA dues seem to be so excessive. I search the real estate sites for active listings and have discovered a few townhomes, but hardly any garden homes. Thought someone might know of neighborhoods in these areas that I could keep an eye on as we drive and do our research. Are there any new communities being developed that might include garden/townhomes? We're empty nesters and have unloaded our big old house on the big old lot and are looking forward to lower maintenance living. I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions!
You should check the condos in Ridge at Alta Vista subdivision in Lakeway. Your price range and requirements sound like a good fit. But there is a HOA there, sorry.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:46 AM

63 posts, read 248,257 times
I recommend getting a Realtor. They can sift through all the information to help you find exactly what you want. They can tell you what the HOA fees are on each house as well.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:06 PM

11 posts, read 46,034 times
Hello, I am new the forum and read your question and wanted to reply.
The Ridge at Alta Vista is going to be a lot higher than the $225,000 max price you stated. There are some condos in Lakeway on the market now that have have HOA's of only $145.00/month. The HOA fees in the Lakeway area are really not much different that any other condos. There is one Garden Home/Condo neighborhood that has really high taxes.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:43 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
I just checked the MLS, and while there are 15 garden homes listed in your price range, none of them are in the areas you mention. In the areas you're looking for, the lowest priced (today) in Lakeway is $245,000; in Spicewood is $249,000; in SW is $332,000.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,601 times
you should check out vista villas area.. they are perfect for what your looking for...it is in lakeay off lakeway blvd.. very low maintenance. and great neighborhood

Old 03-26-2009, 11:00 PM

658 posts, read 2,006,001 times
I searched realtor.com 78749 under Condo/Townhome/Row Home/Co-Op and saw 3 near me. One on Beckett and 2 on Brush country. The ones on Brush country are very well cared for from what I can tell when walking by them. Beckett has a pool in the complex. There is something between these two places on the north side of William Cannon named Westcreek Ranch that has signs out at times.

This is SW on the maps but just barely. I myself think the location perfect since every store I could ever want is within walking distance (Randalls) or 5 miles (Barton Creek Square).

Old 03-27-2009, 06:35 AM

477 posts, read 1,580,640 times
I agree with the PP about getting a Realtor. Lots of listings on Realtor.com and AustinHomeSearch.com are no longer available - they show up on thise sites while they are under contract. I even got a call the other day about a home I had listed in 2002! They couldn't believe the price.

Anyways...down South, how about the Brodie Heights Condos ($190 mo. HOA, 2.1% taxes), Ceniza Condos (corner of William Cannon and Cooper $156 taxes, 2.1% taxes and they're paying $2500 for buyer's closign costs)

In Lakeway, what about Casa Verde - under $200K, Retama Garden Homes on Lakeway Blvd., or even the Village Condos on Lake Travis. HOA are higher, but the prices are lower.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:50 PM

544 posts, read 1,666,951 times
i showed a couple of garden type homes nestled into the hills along 360 close to183 -- really kewl setting -- my only concern would be the likelyhood of having to deal with stairs (?)

Old 03-27-2009, 08:12 PM

629 posts, read 1,652,803 times
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a "garden home"?

I don't see how anything around 360 would fit in that price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: