Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 03:18 PM

21 posts, read 116,212 times

Advertisements

what would you do?

where would you eat?

what nightspots would you go to?

I'm 25 so playing chess and knitting don't qualify as activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 09:41 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,688,656 times
As far as nightspots, we usually wander around on 6th street, or go to the nutty brown cafe.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:42 PM

27 posts, read 77,601 times
Here are a few ideas:

- 6th Street: Given that you're 25 I'd recommend going down to 6th street at night and checking out the music/bar scene.

- Town Lake Hike and Bike Trail: long trail for running, walking, and biking that runs through some surprisingly rugged terrain right in the center of the city.

- Whole Foods Flagship Store: It's a virtual food palace.

- Warehouse district -- Has a lot of clubs like 6th st. but it's mellower.

- South Congress Ave. -- The epicenter of "Austin funk." Interesting shopping, can be a decent people watching scene when the weather is nice.

- State Capital -- Frequent, free tours are provided so I think it's a worthwhile outing.

- University of Texas -- It's not UC-Berkeley in terms of beauty but I think it's worth a visit if you like the college scene. The Blanton Museum at UT is the largest university art museum in the country.

- Mount Bonnell - Climb a 100 steps or so and you're treated to the best view in the city.

In terms of eating, I recommend that you restrict yourself to barbecue, Tex-Mex, and maybe Southern Comfort food (e.g., Threadgills). Instances of any other food genre here are probably going to pale in comparison to what you can get in the Bay Area.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:13 PM

Except German/Czech. But even those aren't as plentiful as BBq, Tex-Mex, and SC.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:16 PM

701 posts, read 2,482,058 times
Knitting doesn't qualify?!

Old 07-24-2007, 10:08 PM

I know! I thought all of the people 25+ were out knitting somewhere

Old 07-25-2007, 12:42 AM
fil

364 posts, read 1,627,073 times
A couple of my 20 year old employees drove to Lockhart on Saturday and tried eating at all 3 of the big BBQ places...

After that, take a nap, go check out the bats on Congress, and then go out to 6th Street and have a good time.

You'll need to recover Sunday.

Alternatively, I heard that Sugars is nice to place to visit at your age.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:02 AM

66 posts, read 334,730 times
what would you do?

Probably drive around and stop at a park or two. So many people who visit Austin make the mistake of sticking to the downtown area. West Austin is full of nice drives. A North-bound drive up HWY 360 (from 290) and accross the Penny Backer bridge provides excellent views. Then jump onto 2222 and take it West to experience the "Hill of Death" before taking 620 South West. Stop at the Oasis for a bite and enjoy the view. Head past the Oasis for a dip in the water at Windy Point or get back into the car and head South West on 620 and enjoy more views of Lake Travis.

where would you eat?

Veggie Heaven on "The Drag." With some coffee from Austin Java or Mozart's.

what nightspots would you go to?

6th street isn't really my thing. But If I didn't know Austin very well I would probably get sucked into it just like all of the other tourists/college students/newbs, however.

Since I know Austin - I would probably get a room at the Marriot Renaissance with a South/East view and order room service. Or maybe I would venture out to one of the bed and breakfasts on Lake Travis.

I'm 25 so playing chess and knitting don't qualify as activities.

I'm 29 and apparently very boring. 6th street was was made for you.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:40 AM

701 posts, read 2,482,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I know! I thought all of the people 25+ were out knitting somewhere
Heh. In Houston, the 25+ knitstahs are tagging trees and light poles with knitted cozies. Dunno if they let 25- knitstahs in their gang though.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:58 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,768,807 times
Park in the underground parking garage at the downtown Whole Foods. Go up into the store, take a quick browse around (knowing you'll be back and can get more serious later), get a cup of tea or a coffee drink or a smoothie to go, and then start walking downtown. Follow your curiosity. Explore the numbered streets from 7th through 2nd. Try eating at That Tara on Sixth (near Whole Foods) if you like Thai food. Have a beer in the Warehouse District. Marvel at the Bostonian-Seattle-Californian yuppies sitting in the new outdoor cafes along the 2nd Street retail district. Marvel at the drunk college kids on east Sixth (oops, that's later in the night, you have to get you car before Whole Foods closes!)

Swim at Barton Springs. Swim at Barton Springs again.

Try to find an original Texas music hall and take in some local flavor. But if you need a hard rock or punk or goth fix, then head to the Red River district.

There's too much to see in one weekend, but these are my best suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin