Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 07:46 AM

16 posts, read 55,826 times

Advertisements

This is something you won't read on the Chamber of Commerce website.
Austin has held the title "worst traffic of a medium size city" since 2000.
Austin Mojo - Tolls in the News: Austin: Nation's most congested mid-sized city
TxDot has one solution for this - toll roads. Four new toll roads are now open and five more were approved last week. Remember when roads were called freeways? I guess with enough toll roads, we'll just swap our title from worst traffic to most toll roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 08:01 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,727,375 times
So does anyone know if they put a stop to turning the existing roads into toll roads? My husband said that is double taxation and is illegal. I haven't heard any updates.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:01 AM

87 posts, read 383,634 times
And it's only going to get worse with the amount of people moving in every year too.

One thing I wish they would do is finish the connectors, like the one from 290 to 35 south ( why have one going north but not south?), north Mopac to 360, etc, etc, etc...

Old 10-15-2007, 09:00 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,907,818 times
Two words:

PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION

If Austin and it's people can't understand or accept this, then say hello to the new mega-mess of the southwest. Phoenix junior, if you will.

And I don't want to hear the same old tired excuse of "Well, it's Texas, people like their cars here". Crap. People like cars everywhere. I was raised in the Great Lakes where they make cars(or used to anyway)It's an American convenience/luxury thing. But it's the 21st century now and there are more people than at any point in the history of humans. The era of mass private transportation is on the decline, maybe even over. We just haven't realized or adjusted yet. It will be forced upon us eventually. I hope Austin gets this right, or the city and it's "vibe" will be utterly ruined.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:44 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,297,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Two words:

PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION

If Austin and it's people can't understand or accept this, then say hello to the new mega-mess of the southwest. Phoenix junior, if you will.

And I don't want to hear the same old tired excuse of "Well, it's Texas, people like their cars here". Crap. People like cars everywhere. I was raised in the Great Lakes where they make cars(or used to anyway)It's an American convenience/luxury thing. But it's the 21st century now and there are more people than at any point in the history of humans. The era of mass private transportation is on the decline, maybe even over. We just haven't realized or adjusted yet. It will be forced upon us eventually. I hope Austin gets this right, or the city and it's "vibe" will be utterly ruined.
EXCELLENT post and I agree 100%!!! Public transportation is really the only option at this point. I don't know what it's going to take before everyone finally "gets it". I long for the day that I can take a high-speed train into downtown for work, then take another one home. It would improve my quality of life tremendously to not have to deal with the depressing, hostile environment we're thrown into daily when commuting on Austin's roads.

BTW, here is a very long and involved thread on just about everything you could want to know about transportation in Austin: Austin Transportation Thread - SkyscraperPage Forum

Old 10-15-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
EXCELLENT post and I agree 100%!!! Public transportation is really the only option at this point. I don't know what it's going to take before everyone finally "gets it". I long for the day that I can take a high-speed train into downtown for work, then take another one home. It would improve my quality of life tremendously to not have to deal with the depressing, hostile environment we're thrown into daily when commuting on Austin's roads.

BTW, here is a very long and involved thread on just about everything you could want to know about transportation in Austin: Austin Transportation Thread - SkyscraperPage Forum
Great thread! I'll have to pick my way through a bit at a time...I always forget to check that site...

Old 10-15-2007, 03:12 PM

5,642 posts, read 24,989,420 times
Public transportation systems are so expensive and inflexible they simply do not pay off, especially in cities that grew with the sprawl of recent years. The public is much better served improving roads and providing tax subsidized bus and cab service. Look at the cost / benefit in ANY city that has built light-rail in the past twenty-five years and you will see the same thing... It costs many people for the benefit of few with neglected roadways developing incredible congestion.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Public transportation systems are so expensive and inflexible they simply do not pay off, especially in cities that grew with the sprawl of recent years. The public is much better served improving roads and providing tax subsidized bus and cab service. Look at the cost / benefit in ANY city that has built light-rail in the past twenty-five years and you will see the same thing... It costs many people for the benefit of few with neglected roadways developing incredible congestion.
Uh, ok.

Any city worth a damn as a city (not a big suburb)has good PT.

I'm too tired and annoyed to debate...anyone else wanna try?

Old 10-15-2007, 08:08 PM

87 posts, read 383,634 times
Look at Dallas. I think they have made HUGE progess in their public transportation. Thier light rail goes from downtown dallas to downtown plano, that is something like 25-30miles. Plus they will be adding many more miles of track in the near future. Dallas ridership is also pretty high from what I've heard.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:12 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,341,138 times
Is it possible to have negative rep points? If so, I'm sure I'll get some, but I'm tired of the traffic debates. Yes, we have bad traffic. Why do city governments feel the need to build more roads (with our tax $$$) just to make someone's commute 'better'? Why don't we just leave things as is...you can deal with it and live here, fix your commuting pattern or just move away. OK, I'm in a bad and tired mood...someone else debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin