Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 08:51 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,907,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Getting in front of the growth with some new ideas is really needed.
Bingo! The problem is that it usually takes too long for politicians to get things rolling...by then, the problem's even bigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 08:28 AM

87 posts, read 383,623 times
I would like to see how all the downtown development will effect public transportation. I mean if 25k residents will be living downtown, I would think the city would also want to improve mass transit (it only makes sense). I would take a guess and say that a lot of people who live downtown will still live to far to walk or even ride their bike to work. I think it would defeat the purpose if people lived downtown and still had to drive thier cars everywhere. Austin has a chance to become an urban example for the south, but only if we can capitalize on public transportation.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:50 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,297,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Getting in front of the growth with some new ideas is really needed.
Exactly, which is why I like the idea of public transit and higher-density development. I'm also a fan of transit-oriented development (TOD), where new neighborhoods are built around public transit hubs. I think that we can still have reasonably priced single-family housing, as well as condos/apartments, if we work on strategic development and make sure to provide transit options.

This is a long but very interesting presentation that involves what I'm speaking of: http://envisioncentraltexas.org/reso...enario2005.pdf

Old 10-17-2007, 03:33 PM

343 posts, read 1,609,367 times
You say public transportation isn't a win-win for anybody, when, actually, it is the ONLY win-win solution for everybody. And nobody wins per a road solution, and it just extends the amount of time before we need more roads again. Adding more roads is like giving an alcoholic another drink to take the hair-of-the-dog edge off a a hangover....

Old 10-17-2007, 03:37 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,907,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
This is a long but very interesting presentation that involves what I'm speaking of: http://envisioncentraltexas.org/reso...enario2005.pdf
I'm going to print that sucker out and have a go...

Old 10-18-2007, 02:13 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,119,965 times
Austin has one interstate and a couple of state higways.Why else would it have a traffic problem.If San Antonio had a rinky dink freeway system like that,S.A. would be a 24 hour parking lot.Austin grew to fast to quick.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:08 AM
Status: "Get used to it, OKC: I-335 and I-344." (set 1 hour ago)

52,725 posts, read 48,048,283 times
Austin will have several projects going in the next few years, but they all involve tolls. I don't have any new details for I-35, but TXDOT is reportedly out of money. Projects are covered into next year, but there is concern about 2009 and beyond. Improving Ed Bluestein and MoPac will solve some of I-35's problems, but not all of them.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:09 AM
Status: "Get used to it, OKC: I-335 and I-344." (set 1 hour ago)

52,725 posts, read 48,048,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txstar View Post
I would like to see how all the downtown development will effect public transportation. I mean if 25k residents will be living downtown, I would think the city would also want to improve mass transit (it only makes sense). I would take a guess and say that a lot of people who live downtown will still live to far to walk or even ride their bike to work. I think it would defeat the purpose if people lived downtown and still had to drive thier cars everywhere. Austin has a chance to become an urban example for the south, but only if we can capitalize on public transportation.
They definitely need rail now. If anyone needs it, it's Austin.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:10 AM

389 posts, read 1,632,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Austin has one interstate and a couple of state higways.Why else would it have a traffic problem.If San Antonio had a rinky dink freeway system like that,S.A. would be a 24 hour parking lot.Austin grew to fast to quick.
Austin is far from a 24 hour parking lot.

People who think the traffic is bad here have either: a) never lived in a city with true traffic problems (unlike the predictable rush-hour congestion on MoPac/I-35); or, b) live far outside central Austin and need to accept the trade-off they made when they contributed to the very problem they now complain of.

Personally, there are very few hours in the week that I can't get to any place worth traveling to within 20 minutes. If I lived in S.A., I would not have this luxury; mainly because there are so few places in S.A worth traveling to.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:48 AM

110 posts, read 616,756 times
In two weeks I'll be able to see this traffic situation for myself.
Currently, I live 18 miles west of DC. In order to be at the Verizon Center by 7 for a bball game, we need to leave around 5 on a weekday. We usually get there a little earlier, but we have been late allowing two hours.
I am from NYC where it once took me 4 hours to drive 20 miles out to Long Island from Manhattan. That was an extreme case, but my brother is in his car about 4-5 hours daily commuting. He lives 16 miles from his job.
I understand that Austin has some traffic issues, but I can't imagine it can be anywhere as bad as either DC or NY. Not to mention LA, of which i have no personal knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin