Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 05:12 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,780,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogramjet View Post
I moved here from New York about five years ago. And I can't wait to get back to New York. Austin has lots of positive things about it, but don't get fooled by the hype. The weather is extreme, in all seasons. But mainly, it's just hot. It rarely rains here, too. If you are susceptible to allergies, you will feel like you've died and gone to hell. The level of customer service, whether it be restaurants, stores, dry cleaners, you name it, really is poor overall. Nordstrom's even sucks here. If you plan to buy property, the taxes in Austin are crazy high. And we're about to get socked with big increases in property taxes from all the multiple taxing entities for 2013, and there's at least five taxing entities for my house. This highway robbery is offset somewhat by no state income tax, but you still feel the burn every month if you own a house. BTW, don't get too carried away by the notion that Austin is liberal. I would equate an Austin liberal to a New York republican, e.g. George Pataki-like. And don't even get me started on the hoardes of homeless zombies that wander the whole city. A truly progressive city would attempt to do something about this problem. I would definitely spend some time down here in the summer to see if you really want to leave New York.
Obviously, you need to move back.

There are lots of "Ron Paul" liberals in Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 07:37 PM

211 posts, read 431,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogramjet View Post
I moved here from New York about five years ago. And I can't wait to get back to New York. Austin has lots of positive things about it, but don't get fooled by the hype. The weather is extreme, in all seasons. But mainly, it's just hot. It rarely rains here, too. If you are susceptible to allergies, you will feel like you've died and gone to hell. The level of customer service, whether it be restaurants, stores, dry cleaners, you name it, really is poor overall. Nordstrom's even sucks here. If you plan to buy property, the taxes in Austin are crazy high. And we're about to get socked with big increases in property taxes from all the multiple taxing entities for 2013, and there's at least five taxing entities for my house. This highway robbery is offset somewhat by no state income tax, but you still feel the burn every month if you own a house. BTW, don't get too carried away by the notion that Austin is liberal. I would equate an Austin liberal to a New York republican, e.g. George Pataki-like. And don't even get me started on the hoardes of homeless zombies that wander the whole city. A truly progressive city would attempt to do something about this problem. I would definitely spend some time down here in the summer to see if you really want to leave New York.
Got a few gripes, Well I would like to know how far upstate NY you must be to complain about Austin taxes? We were over an hour from NyC and paid over $13,000 per year for a 3/2 1750sq/ft bi level on a .25 acre. (and that was in 06). Most places I seen in Austin have been about half that or less for a nicer place with better schools and more amenities. I also have to disagree about the customer service as well when we visited it was the best I ever experienced especially when dealing with the hospitality industry side of things. Never had I witnessed such genuinely helpful, friendly and welcoming people who actually seemed to care and actually didn't look miserable and hate their job and even their own existence! This occurred from the minute we got off the plane til the time we checked by in the rental car. Here If you ask for help or god forbid need someone to go out of their way for thirty or so seconds, it's like you just ran over the family dog without stopping to say you're sorry! Also I was actually in Austin last August for the heat wave and will gladly take those dry 106 degree days over what it was like here all July/Aug of 95 and humid and the entire 4 months of cold dreary dull winter doldrums. I can't wait to make the move there and even If it doesn't work out fit whatever reason I know for for certain I would never return to Ny state.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:45 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,655,027 times
[quote=rogramjet;25752755]I moved here from New York about five years ago. And I can't wait to get back to New York. Austin has lots of positive things about it, but don't get fooled by the hype. The weather is extreme, in all seasons. But mainly, it's just hot. It rarely rains here, too. If you are susceptible to allergies, you will feel like you've died and gone to hell. The level of customer service, whether it be restaurants, stores, dry cleaners, you name it, really is poor overall. Nordstrom's even sucks here. If you plan to buy property, the taxes in Austin are crazy high. And we're about to get socked with big increases in property taxes from all the multiple taxing entities for 2013, and there's at least five taxing entities for my house. This highway robbery is offset somewhat by no state income tax, but you still feel the burn every month if you own a house. BTW, don't get too carried away by the notion that Austin is liberal. I would equate an Austin liberal to a New York republican, e.g. George Pataki-like. And don't even get me started on the hoardes of homeless zombies that wander the whole city. A truly progressive city would attempt to do something about this problem. I would definitely spend some time down here in the summer to see if you really want to leave New York.[/.QUOTE]

I've lived in NYC and now Austin. I love New York state and often consider how nice it would be to move back, but I'm not sure I agree entirely with your assessment of Austin. Yes, the weather is hot during the summer but the rest of the year is pretty perfect. I don't know how the other months could be considered extreme, except for extremely nice. Yes, the shopping here does suck, especially the Nordstroms which are shells of what a good Nordstrom should be (see Dallas). Even the Neimans is sad. Shopping just isn't a priority here like it is in a NYC, Dallas, Houston or NJ.

It is interesting- allergies for me are worse just outside of the city near cedar trees, but they are fine in central Austin (where there are mainly just oaks left). I am taking shots though. I think the customer service is pretty good here. I was shocked at how bad it was in NYC. I am liberal and certainly wouldn't say that I am George Pataki-like in any sense. I do like Bloomberg, however. Yes, there are way too many homeless people but I'm not sure that we aren't trying to handle it. We have a homeless center, many programs, but we aren't throwing them out or hiding them. If you didn't see them would that solve the core problem? Yes, agreed, property taxes are high and there really should be an income tax as well, but we'd probably just spend it on teaching creationism....

Old 08-22-2012, 08:45 PM

Wow didn't think anyone could like a donkey like Bloomberg!! That guy makes me sick to my stomach and is everything that is wrong with this country right now!

Old 08-22-2012, 09:42 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,655,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakas80 View Post
Wow didn't think anyone could like a donkey like Bloomberg!! That guy makes me sick to my stomach and is everything that is wrong with this country right now!
I like his stance on gun control and I like his focus on staying healthy. I love seeing calorie counts on menus and being able to make a well informed decision.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:33 AM

Different strokes... I find it oppressive and controlling now with the soda tax, and the drink size limits he is trying to impose. Not to mention the constant surveillance that is becoming dominant throughout the boroughs. First cameras on every traffic device and corner, next is the national Id card and facial recognition scanners! It was however nice to see them chill out with the stop and frisks and locking people up for a couple grams of pot.I reckon this is a debate though for a different thread/forum. Back on topic I would gladly switch places with any of you folks in Austin that are wanting to come back to NY...you can have it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin