Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 10:27 AM

134 posts, read 399,456 times

Advertisements

Hey there!

I currently live in phoenix, AZ and for many reasons, I am thinking of moving to austin in the next few years and am starting to research now. If you have lived in both places,. i'd be really interested to find out what you think of austin compared to az, i.e. people, weather, culture, transportation, cost of living, salaries, fun stuff to do around the area, places to take day trips (my husband and I are huge outdoors people) and anything else you can tell me to help in my decision.

Thanks so much!!!

Last edited by nankjay; 11-15-2007 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: forgot something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 10:35 AM

1,207 posts, read 6,278,761 times
Hi!

i lived in Scottsdale for 4 years and now live in Austin. If you search this forum for Phoenix you'll probably find a lot of similar posts with people asking the Phoenix v. Austin question - I've responded to several myself. But in short:

People: I find the people in Austin a bit nicer, and it was much easier to make friends here than in Phoenix.
Weather: weather is better here. More humid than Phoenix, but you can go out and do things in the summer, especially in the early morning and evening, without feeling like you're still roasting to death.
culture: better in Austin. I find the dining options superior, the music scene superior. There aren't tons of great museums and there are no professional sports teams, however. But Phoenix doesn't have great museums either.
Transportation: both cities lack good public transit. The bus system here in Austin seems more utilized than in Phoenix, however. Phoenix has a more complete and well thought out road system, plus the grid system of naming and numbering streets makes things easier to get around. Phoenix has the advantage here.
Fun Stuff to do: Austin wins hands down. Anything you can do in Phoenix, you can do here, and more. The only exception is really if you like to hike in mountainous terrain - can't really do that here like you can do Camelback, Squaw Peak,e tc. Great cycling, fishing, water sports, parks, bars and nightlife, dining out and tons of festivals year round. Lots of great places nearby to daytrip, and Dallas, Houston and San Antonio are all within driving distance as well.

Good luck!

Old 11-15-2007, 10:04 PM

Default thanks

i have some good friends in scottsdale

so, all in all, would you say you made a good move and prefer austin over az??

Old 11-16-2007, 09:17 AM

without a doubt. Not a single regret.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:30 AM

Default awesome!

i am so glad to hear that!! Now I have to get enough equity in my house to move and that could be forever with this market.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:15 PM

260 posts, read 904,386 times
Go for it!!!! We moved from Phoenix in summer of 2005 and built a custom home in San Marcos. We are selling that home now and moving to Austin because of commuting, but will absolutely stay in this area. I LOVE the rivers, lakes, music, festivals, hill country, and the "hippyness" of Austin. With San Antonio close by, we have access to Six Flags, Sea World and Schlitterbaun in New Braunfels. Not to mention, just a couple of hours from the coast! We will never move.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:26 PM

2 posts, read 7,310 times
Default want to move from Mesa,Az to Austin too!

Your post has helped to convince us that we want to move Austin now, my only fear is I hear that the bugs are unbearable, is this true (mosquitos, gnats, scorpions, cockroaches??) . My husband has been told that your car windshield gets covered so bad you have to pull over, is this true?? thanks for any info in advance.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:44 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,464,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdinaz View Post
My husband has been told that your car windshield gets covered so bad you have to pull over, is this true?? thanks for any info in advance.
This is absolutely NOT true...

The only time we've had lot's of bugs on the front of our car is when we drove through a butterfly migration driving to the coast. Felt sad for the butterflies...

Old 11-29-2007, 02:15 PM

The bugs are worse here than in Arizona because the climate is more bug-friendly. But I have never heard of pulling over due to bugs on the windshield. Don't let the bugs scare you from Austin. They're not THAT bad!

Old 11-29-2007, 05:25 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,687,302 times
Naw, It's not that bad. While driving through the country at night sometimes, you can end up with lots of grasshoppers on the windshield, but I've never had to pull over because of it. Just use the windshield wipers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin