Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2009, 12:18 PM

13 posts, read 36,554 times

Advertisements

My husband, toddler daughter and I are considering relocating to Austin from Royal Oak Michigan... any thoughts on areas to consider for residency? Neither of us have ever been there, but Michigan is a sinking ship and we are bailing out. Austin is one of 6 cities we are looking at and from what we see and hear, it is fantastic. I am wondering if anyone can recommend areas for us to look for housing, that are nice but won't break the bank. We would like to be close to down town... no more than 15 minutes or so unless there are nice "pocket" towns that anyone can let us in on... (Royal Oak is a great little area with a fun down town that is 15 minutes outside of Detroit). Thoughts? Advice? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 12:26 PM

48 posts, read 139,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyJKC View Post
My husband, toddler daughter and I are considering relocating to Austin from Royal Oak Michigan... any thoughts on areas to consider for residency? Neither of us have ever been there, but Michigan is a sinking ship and we are bailing out. Austin is one of 6 cities we are looking at and from what we see and hear, it is fantastic. I am wondering if anyone can recommend areas for us to look for housing, that are nice but won't break the bank. We would like to be close to down town... no more than 15 minutes or so unless there are nice "pocket" towns that anyone can let us in on... (Royal Oak is a great little area with a fun down town that is 15 minutes outside of Detroit). Thoughts? Advice? Thank you!
If you live in Austin & not some surrounding city (Round Rock, Lakeway, etc), then you will be within 15 min of downtown. I went to college in Bloomington, IL & visited Michigan a few times. I'll warn you.... it is hot here during the summer. That being said, I have 3 kids (all 5 & under) & they don't care about the heat. They love the fact that it is sunny most of the year.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:48 PM

13 posts, read 36,554 times
Thank you for the input! Yes, I have been warned about the heat... I have lived in Florida, California and Maryland. Maryland humidity is AWFUL. So I am prepared for that... but frankly, I am tired of being cold! My daughter is dying to play outside! Are you saying Round Rock and Lakeway are "other cities"? Or those are places to look? Again, thank you!

Old 05-17-2009, 12:49 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,086,633 times
Would need to know your price range to suggest areas.

Quote:
Austin is one of 6 cities we are looking at and from what we see and hear, it is fantastic.
Just curious what the other 5 cities are.

Steve

Old 05-17-2009, 01:03 PM

48 posts, read 139,377 times
well, Round Rock is textbook suburbia. Lakeway has the best schools in the area bit is pricy. Either one is farther than 15 min from downtown. Remember, this is Texas.... in Houston, you can drive 45 min & still be in Houston.... here we don't understand the concept of urban sprawl..... we are the definition of it. In other words..... if you don't want a commute, live in Austin city limits.... not in another town / subarb.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:40 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,162,851 times
Here are some other threads that may be helpful to you.

Detroit to Austin

Anyone move from Minnesota to Austin? What are your thoughts?

Another Michigander possibly relocating.

What else should we know?

Another Michigander possibly relocating.

In addition I have compiled a lot of information in my profile that should be helpful to people considering a move to Austin. Take a look at all that them come back with any questions you have.

In general it is a good idea to try and live close to where you will be working, do you have an idea what you will be doing here for a living?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: