Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 08:24 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,725,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Another unbiased post by mlassoff.

The post referred to, though, was by someone who relocated to the area who just happens to be a real estate agent. We ARE people, you know, with experiences of our own just like everyone else.
Yes, but unfortunately too many real estate agents use these forums to try to drum up business. Not saying you're one of these, but it happens. We used to have one in the Houston forum who would ALWAYS recommend one suburb in particular, no matter what people asked for, where they said they were working, etc.... it gets annoying. That is, until I go "clicky" on the little red triangle at the top right-hand corner of their post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 06:22 PM

48 posts, read 91,080 times
Default the place to live??

I don't think so. The traffic is horrendous. The city leaders have simply refused to make any road improvements in the City. They don't even make an honest effort to maintain the sorry roads they have.
The housing costs are the highest in the South. Don't be fooled when you see "affordable" used by those promoting the City to attract more people for there own economic benefit. They will spout a comparison of Austin housing costs to places like Boston, California, Chicago, etc. which are known to be expensive. The reality is that Houston and San Antonio housing runs 30-% lower than Austin for similar homes. This is significant if you are just a modest wage earner trying to raise a family. If you do find an affordable home, it won't be worth having because it needs work and will be in a part of town that resembles a prison yard. Then throw in the poor performing inner city public schools, and the excessive number of homeless/panhandlers on the streets, and I have to say the city is overrated. I've lived in Austin for 30-years, only because of a good job. I have a second home in the suburbs of Houston. I prefer Houston by far and will retire there soon.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:58 AM

634 posts, read 1,563,838 times
IN SEARCH OF UTOPIA............I think all the hype about Austin was to appeal to people who are unhappy with their current city, job, relationship, weather, whatever. Austin use to be a cool town: the cost of living was low, there was no traffic, the pace was slower and we all had time to enjoy the wonderful parks,pools, springs,lakes,rivers and everything else.

Life is different now. These things are still in Austin but the cost of living has gotten so high most people have to work to much to enjoy them. Lake Travis looks like an irrigation pond, there are too many people in the Austin area and honestly I do not believe the enviroment can sustain them. The wonderful long spring rains are a thing of the past just like the lifestyle of the past Austin.

Try to remember happiness comes from within and geography has nothing to do with it.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:20 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,378,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
In my experience (living here for almost 40 years now), they're still friendly. Friendlier, even, because they have a chance to get to know you and for friendship, rather than acquaintance, to develop.
As the number of natives drops in relation to newcomers, I think this will change. I can't remember who posted above that efficiency is the only thing that matters to him/her- friendliness is unimportant. That philosphy from the coasts will change Texas and Austin, in particular. Sad.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:54 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,603,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
As the number of natives drops in relation to newcomers, I think this will change. I can't remember who posted above that efficiency is the only thing that matters to him/her- friendliness is unimportant. That philosphy from the coasts will change Texas and Austin, in particular. Sad.
One can certainly hope not, and that the native Austinites will prevail in the face of "efficiency". (As it happens, I used to be all of about efficiency and multi-tasking, before I realized that I was simply rushing to the grave and missing so many things - and people - around me along the way.) It is possible to learn, and enjoy, a slower, more human pace of life. Even in this age of fast technology (which I love) and demand for instant gratification (which I don't - it's like the difference between instant coffee and a great cup of the real thing, for those of you who drink coffee - I don't).

Old 01-17-2009, 08:32 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,091,493 times
Quote:
I can't remember who posted above that efficiency is the only thing that matters to him/her- friendliness is unimportant. That philosphy from the coasts will change Texas and Austin, in particular. Sad.
The dude that is moving BACK to Connecticut wrote that. I think that many people that are moving to Austin are moving there because they want what Austin has to offer in terms of local culture. Those that don't adapt will eventually move back to where they feel more comfortable. Places will change but that is not necessarily because of an influx of people, it also has to do with changing times as well.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:41 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,924,309 times
It's curious how some people's opinions and observations have become the "official coastal transplant position". It seems like the perception of native Austinites towards transplants (especially those from the coasts) is grossly marginalized. It's almost xenophobic. This is still America right? People have been re-locating, meshing and bringing new ideas and culture with them since we stole this land from indigenous people several hundred years ago. Hell, the Indians and Mexican people who lived in what is now Texas did the same thing. So what if you were born and bred in Texas, Ohio, California, Idaho or New York? We can't control where we were born and I don't see that as any kind of special virtue or disadvantage. It's who we become as people and how we treat others that matters.

Who cares if some guy from the East coast doesn't like living in Austin anymore. He's allowed to have an opinion. Just because he's not from here doesn't make him wrong nor should it affect how you feel about your hometown.

Do some of you really think that just because you were born here or have lived in Austin for a long time, that your opinion is more important? A longer perspective is certainly valuable but it's not the only measure of worth.

It's been said before on this board: No city can ever live up to it's hype because we all have different expectations and criteria.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
The dude that is moving BACK to Connecticut wrote that. I think that many people that are moving to Austin are moving there because they want what Austin has to offer in terms of local culture. Those that don't adapt will eventually move back to where they feel more comfortable. Places will change but that is not necessarily because of an influx of people, it also has to do with changing times as well.
Why do people choose Austin to move to?
-for the great vibe ()
-for the beautiful landscape ()
-for the friendly people and traditionally laid back lifestyle ()
-for a job ()
-for a partner who demands it ()
-because a magazine says so ()
-because it's 'cheap' (throwing up icon)

Old 01-17-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
It's who we become as people and how we treat others that matters.

Who cares if some guy from the East coast doesn't like living in Austin anymore. He's allowed to have an opinion. Just because he's not from here doesn't make him wrong nor should it affect how you feel about your hometown.

It makes him wrong, in my opinion. I don't value 'efficiency' over friendliness in day to day life (the ER doesn't count!), and I think people who do are wrong. I wouldn't move to a place where friendliness is the lingua franca and expect efficiency. If that's such a huge part of who I am, I wouldn't try to change people, I would try to find a place to live that matched my personality.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:45 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,924,309 times
Quote:
It makes him wrong, in my opinion. I don't value 'efficiency' over friendliness in day to day life (the ER doesn't count!), and I think people who do are wrong. I wouldn't move to a place where friendliness is the lingua franca and expect efficiency. If that's such a huge part of who I am, I wouldn't try to change people, I would try to find a place to live that matched my personality.
Hey mimi, I get what you're saying. With the exception of healthcare, I share your value of friendliness over efficiency - I'm a pretty friendly and chatty guy, so I like that about Austin. However, I don't think that they are necessarily mutually exclusive. The goal should be to achieve both.

I suppose that I'm unwilling to hastily label someone with a differing opinion...wrong(but I do appreciate your honesty). And I don't think he's trying to change anyone's personal disposition one way or another - that would be wrong - he was simply stating his opinion. Anyway, he's decided to leave, so he's doing exactly what you suggested: "finding a place to live that matches his personality".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin