Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 08:20 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
Downtown you may like Halcyon. It is a small old building with couches, patios and lots of fun people to meet. It is in the Warehouse District on 4th and Lavaca. But people do tend to hit it after a night in the clubs and bars so not always all that great for studying.

South and East Austin are full of places like you described. If those parts of town interest you, just throw a pebble in any direction there and you'll find something like you are looking for. What part of town do you live in?

For North Austin one of my favorite places is Epoch. It is 24 hours. It is a lot better for studding than many other IMO. It doesn't have couches or as homely feel as you suggested. More of a cafe feel. But I really like it, and it is one of the few reason I can find to visit north Austin. That is where I usually meet up with my North Austin friends. I also like the other people who work and hangout there.
I'm right by UT. Something within biking distance or on convenient bus routes would be ideal, but I don't mind driving anywhere between 181 and Ben White. The suggestions seem great so far. Keep them coming.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:29 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Thunderbird Coffee on Manor Road in Cherrywood (used to be Clementines)
Thunderbird Coffee

Old 04-09-2012, 08:58 AM

170 posts, read 826,881 times
I second Bennu! Perfect for studying, and close to campus! Get their Don Quixote mocha... mmm...

Old 04-09-2012, 11:13 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,773,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickasarbata View Post
I second Bennu! Perfect for studying, and close to campus! Get their Don Quixote mocha... mmm...
Gah, how did I forget about Bennu? That place was pretty much built for studying, and is super closer to campus on East MLK. It's dead quiet in there and everyone's nose is in a book. Coffee is good but not great, but it sounds like a good place to read takes precedence over the coffee quality for you.

Strange Brew on South Manchaca is also a 24-hour coffee place that's good for studying, but that's quite a ways from you.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:02 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickasarbata View Post
I remember meeting a girl for a date at Bennu Coffee and everyone gave us nasty looks because we were talking. I've gotten less nasty looks for talking at a library. OP, if your goal is studying, then I guess Bennu Coffee is your place.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:34 PM

100 posts, read 258,422 times
I love Bennu... big fan of the Scarlet Letter Mocha

(And I'm mostly a black coffee drinker.)

And Opa! is one of my other favorites. What an awesome patio. The inside has a pretty cool set-up, too. I like the coffee, but you can also get wine, Greek bites, mimosas... etc.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:10 PM

471 posts, read 1,607,354 times
.....and when in Houston .....

Agora - converted house; dark wood everywhere but a friendly kind of dark; located in the music stores/art gallery/independent-owned restaurants/tattoo parlor/music club area of Houston a.k.a. Montrose; and they serve alcohol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin