Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 06:38 PM

737 posts, read 1,582,433 times

Advertisements

I am noticing they both have about the same distance drive to places like Lakeway. Cedar park is closer to the lake, I believe. Is Cedar Park pretty? Hilly?
Would you choose CP over DS? CP is bigger and I bet it has more shopping areas... Why is DS more expensive than CP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 06:53 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,804,442 times
West Cedar Park has hills and views like Twin Creeks and Crystal Falls. Much of Dripping Springs is flat. Lots, on average, are larger in DS so they might get more for the land.

Shopping is more abundant in CP and there are many roads. DS only has a couple of ways in and out so many people complain about traffic, especially at the Y.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:38 PM

17 posts, read 37,331 times
Where are you working? That is an important factor.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:50 PM

Husband works at 360 and Bee Caves. Basically same distance there from CP and DS.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:19 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,581,238 times
Have you test driven this one? The distance may be the same, but certain routes (360 being one of them) are a parking lot during peak commute times. I wouldn't want to make that drive.

I know some of the communities you've seen might have looked unideal for one reason or another, but you may want to reconsider something closer. Spending an hour or more parked in traffic each way can really take it out of you when it's a daily thing.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
Have you test driven this one? The distance may be the same, but certain routes (360 being one of them) are a parking lot during peak commute times. I wouldn't want to make that drive.

I know some of the communities you've seen might have looked unideal for one reason or another, but you may want to reconsider something closer. Spending an hour or more parked in traffic each way can really take it out of you when it's a daily thing.

DS and CP both are 1hr in peak traffic? Is this worst case?

DH drove to DS at 6pm on Tuesday and it took him 35 minutes to get to DS...

Old 09-22-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janejanejanejanejane View Post

and thank you for your feedback, btw. much appreciated.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:24 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,581,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janejanejanejanejane View Post

No, I was speaking to driving north to Cedar Park, not to Dripping Springs. Sorry I wasn't more clear. You had mentioned that the distances were the same, so I was trying to clarify that driving north to Cedar Park would put you in much heavier traffic. Yes, driving to Dripping Springs could very well be a workable commute because you're not trying to go across town and all the traffic that entails, but driving from 360/Bee Caves to Cedar Park every day would be a long and grueling one that I wouldn't recommend signing up for unless your husband has actually driven it for a week and is fine.

Bee Caves is often snarled with traffic because most people who live out there work in Austin so everyone is going the same direction. If there is an accident or stall on either side of the road (which happens frequently because speeds are high in places) it will practically stop traffic on both sides of the road. 360 is similarly a nightmare. Because of the stoplights that occur about every mile, the bridge, and the heavy volume, it becomes like a parking lot during peak commute times. If your husband doesn't have to work traditional hours, it's a long but workable drive. If he'll have to commute any time between 4 PM and 7 PM in the evenings, expect a mess going north. Then he'll still have to drive to Cedar Park itself once he gets into north Austin and depending what part you guys lived in, that could also be a considerable distance.

This is why so many are recommending that you live and work in the same general area of town and avoid cross-town commutes. Living in DS and working at 360/Bee Caves would be fine as both are on the SW side of town. Going from SW to NW would be a mess. Going from SE to SW would be a mess.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:52 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,627,381 times
DS is going to be a much shorter commute time.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:56 AM

298 posts, read 945,163 times
What about Canyon Creek/Grandview Hills in zip code 78726
(approximately 12 miles from 360/Bee Caves) or even Steiner Ranch (just a tad further)....I don't know what the "real time" commutes will be, but you will find a few homes in your price range....great communities with great schools as well...all of the shopping/restaurants you need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin