Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 05:26 AM

737 posts, read 1,583,169 times

Advertisements

Job at Bee Caves and 360 basically. We want easy access to downtown, the north, etc. Our realtor picked that as one place. Good or bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 06:05 AM

97 posts, read 197,337 times
It's a good location if you don't want to be in the city. I live in DS. I like not being directly in the hustle of city life. It's an easy shot to Bee Caves. There is an HEB and Home Depot in DS. Schools are OK to Good. Sports programs in DS are on the low-end side. Lot's of small town "politickin" very old school and country way of dealing with things. Has it's pros and cons that way. Sometimes, decisions made in the ISD and City can be a bit backward and make you scratch your head. Just a few traffic lights. Close to the Salt Lick. Overall, very quiet and small town feeling. If you need to get to Austin, it's about 20 mins to downtown with no traffic. 40 mins to the airport in light traffic. Lots and lots of deer that will eat your landscapping if you keep it watered. Deer everywhere out that way.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:13 AM

679 posts, read 1,803,003 times
It's a bedroom community. Doesn't have a nice little Main Street like some of the other Hill Country towns. It's kind of a hybrid suburb/small town.

Adam, don't y'all have issues with your aquifer there? Is that a big concern?

Old 09-04-2011, 06:21 AM

THank you guys, answers my question very well. Not really for us, but we will look at it to confirm.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:29 AM

97 posts, read 197,337 times
The water is def mineral heavy. We use filters on everything and have to change them more then most do in other parts of the country. We have to use CLR on our shower heads and faucets a bit more as well. But it's not that bad in my opinion.

Def don't have that Hollywood main street haha. It's a country town. Not much to get excited about. Just very quiet. If you want more of a "bigger city" feel, maybe Bee Caves is best. It's got a california town feel if you ask me.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:31 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,871 times
Could be a good place if you can't find what you want in any other. The commute to Bee Caves would be reasonable. I know others who do it. The schools are good. It is a small town. It isn't in Austin itself and you would have to drive into town. However, you wanted a lot of house and for not too much, and this might provide it if you can't find your requirements anywhere else.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
Could be a good place if you can't find what you want in any other. The commute to Bee Caves would be reasonable. I know others who do it. The schools are good. It is a small town. It isn't in Austin itself and you would have to drive into town. However, you wanted a lot of house and for not too much, and this might provide it if you can't find your requirements anywhere else.
True.

However, I think to the average american, a 300k is a lot of money for a house. Sure, we want the space, but 300k isn't chump change. Perhaps for Lakeway, it is..

Old 09-04-2011, 08:48 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janejanejanejanejane View Post
True.

However, I think to the average american, a 300k is a lot of money for a house. Sure, we want the space, but 300k isn't chump change. Perhaps for Lakeway, it is..
Well, I agree with you there. It is a lot of money. I was just responding since you mentioned in another thread you wanted something like 4 bedrooms and a big square footage, great schools, and a decent commute. Those things tend to come with a price tag. Since Bee Caves is fairly out of the way and not close to town anyway, Dripping Springs would be one area where you could get basically all of those things except being close to Austin.

But, you do need to pick something you'll be happy with. Some people like the more rural living. Others don't.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:00 AM

970 posts, read 1,873,355 times
Jane X 5,

What is your number one priority? Schools? Manicured lawns? Distance to job? I think you need to pick one to focus.

For us, it was schools. So, we looked only in the Eanes and Lake Travis ISDs. We flirted with Dripping Springs, but it was too rural for me. My kids would have hated it.

There may not be a lot in your price range right now, so be patient. Get to know the areas that "make sense" as far as a commute to Bee Cave.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:18 AM

239 posts, read 518,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janejanejanejanejane View Post
True.

Make sure you "budget in" property taxes....they are high in the Austin area. And your electric/water. And HOA fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin