Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 08:02 AM

71 posts, read 452,661 times

Advertisements

We are renting right now in South Austin. I really like it here except for having to drive home on Mopac esp on a Fri afternoon
We have time (almost a year) to think about where to live but I just want opinions on which would be a better fit for us.
I would have put west into the equation but I think we may be priced out of there.
We have a 3 yr old so schools will be important very soon. I know most people here don't like all the building and sprawl that's going on, but I have to say, I love it. I love that everything is new. I'd like a safe area with trails for walking/jogging.
Because of property taxes being so ridiculous, I think our price range would be around $150-200K.
Which areas would the traffic be the least horrible? I know it's bad everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 07:00 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,435,582 times
Are you looking for new or used. If used, you can consider Milwood in North Austin where you can find homes easily in your price range. If you are looking for new, forget north austin, most upcoming communities will start at 288K for a 1800 square foot range. Condos are going for 200K for a 1600 square foot unit. North Austin is getting a lot of shopping such as the Domain, new whole foods, etc. which is driving the property values higher. It is very crowded up here though and some areas are starting to get kind of sketchy such as the Parmer/Metric area. The Pflugerville school district is horrible which feeds a great deal of North Austin. I'm going to move to Meridian or Circle C and get away from this area most likely. The commute to the city is faster from Southwest Austin than North Austin.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:35 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,060,267 times
Quote:
Which areas would the traffic be the least horrible? (for traffic)
Where do you commute to and from? Frankly, I think South Austin has the best options as far as traffic goes. I drive all over this city, including Mopac every day, and I think downtown into South Austin is about as good of a commute as you're going to find.

Check out Westcreek, Scenic Brook, Maple Run, Olympic Heights (examplary Baranoff Elementary starting 2008) for under $200K with decent elementary schools.

Steve

Old 08-13-2007, 04:56 AM

Thank you so much!
I drove through Olympic Heights the other day and really liked it.
I drive from Slaughter to Anderson on Mopac. It's usually not too bad but Fri afternoons I just want to blow my brains out. I hear that when school starts it will be even worse.
I've been giving myself almost an hour to get to work and one morning I was actually late because of the traffic. I'm glad to know that this is probably the best traffic situation because I do like the feel of South Austin.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:00 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,060,267 times
There are some neighborhoods north of Anderson Ln. and even further north on either side of Mopac that would give you an easier commute and prices below $200K. I don't think you'll find the schools to be as good though.

Check out the neighborhood north of Duval, west of Mopac. Also the Wooten area north of Anderson Ln. south of 183. Anderson Ln. east of Burnet, as well as Burnet Rd. south of Anderson Ln. is "the South Austin of North Austin" in my opinion, with an eclectic collection of shops, businesses and restaurants, somewhat scruffy but some character.

Steve

Old 08-13-2007, 08:50 AM

443 posts, read 1,541,822 times
I bought a house in Milwood in 2001, a few weeks before my 19th birthday.
I moved in the same week I started at UT.

I hated it.

I lived in north austin for 6 years, and *finally* moved back home to 78704.
The problem with north austin (for me) was feeling so far removed from everything. It just felt like being situated in one giant strip mall.

Anyone who claims to 'live in austin' and is farther north than say... anderson lane, isn't really living in austin.

You've got the kid, so your situation is different than mine (mid-twenties, no kids) but I would still encourage you to stay in south austin. I was born and raised in south austin, and will always call it home. My brief sojourn into north austin (out of financial necessity) just reaffirmed for me how different south austin is from the rest of the city, and hell... the rest of the state.

Born in, and will die in 78704.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:35 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,293,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
"the South Austin of North Austin" in my opinion, with an eclectic collection of shops, businesses and restaurants, somewhat scruffy but some character.
Agreed. This is the ONLY area north of Downtown that I really like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satanoid View Post
Born in, and will die in 78704.
I would give anything to live in 78704 again. It is the best place I have ever lived in my life... I loved everything about it. There is no way in hell, though, that I can afford to live there now. I was priced out long ago

So, are you a Dr., Lawyer? How do you do it?

Old 08-14-2007, 06:20 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,654,050 times
Maybe not Austin but we are renting in Leander because the Leander ISD is supposed to be great. Houses out here are in your price range. Block House neighborhood has jogging trails, 2 pools (one heated, one great one for kids) couple of tennis cts and a sports ct a baseball diamond,bmx place and seems to be a really nice area. Plus the light rail station is about a mile down the road and that goes into the downtown area starting next year. I have driven to downtown in the mornings and the traddic is not bad at all. Dh goes to IBM and it takes maybe 20 mins short time if he uses the toll road. I don't feel disconnected from Austin and I like how close I am to all the lakes around here. I think Austin has a personality problem that it seems like South Austin is always bashing north (IMO only)

Old 08-14-2007, 08:09 AM

443 posts, read 1,541,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
So, are you a Dr., Lawyer? How do you do it?
Web developer.
Business school done me good.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:05 PM

Yeah, it is definitely the south bashing the north. I get that from lot of people who live around me. Not bashing the north people though, just the north in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin