Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 04:57 AM
dds

24 posts, read 88,861 times

Advertisements

Quick question for "llkltk"...I live in the Parmer/Metric area (Scofield Farms) and do not find it "sketchy"...what are you referring to? Also - interested in your comments about the Pflugerville ISD since our son will be starting school in a couple of years. Thanks -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 07:37 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,654,724 times
Adios, like you said not so much bashing the people although they are always questioning your judgment about living anywhere in the North! I have everything I need in the north area, really good schools for my kids, hill country,Lake Travis about 10 mins away. plenty of big stores along with mom and pop places. Any for my hubby easy access to IBM. My mom grew up in Terrytown and her sister and kids live all over the south area and in Buda, also have a brother and his family in Lakeway so this was an area that for most days family is just not going to "drop" in! LOL easy to get onto 1431 and hop over to 281 and be in San Antonio NW side in a jiffy (where we moved from) and to Kerrville where some of the parents live, and Sisterdale where we have a ranch.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:49 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,066,251 times
dds, this is the first I have ever heard of someone saying the Pflugerville school district was bad. From all accounts, it's considered equally, or near equally, as good as Round Rock & Leander - of course school success pretty much all depends on which school you feed into, parent involvement and which teacher you get.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:45 AM

216 posts, read 996,459 times
Post Wondering......

Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
The Pflugerville school district is horrible which feeds a great deal of North Austin.
Can you clarify why you said this?. I'm curious as I'm new to the area what data you have?
Thanks.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:53 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,066,251 times
PISD TEA Scores & ratings...

Pflugerville Independent School District :: Test Scores (broken link)

http://www.pflugervilleisd.net/documents/PflugervilleISDTEARatings2007.pdf (broken link)

And for comparison - all the districts within this area, for 2006-07 school year.

http://www.alamotitle-austin.com/library/23/Public_Schools.pdf (broken link)

Old 08-15-2007, 12:29 PM

216 posts, read 996,459 times
Smile You are great to collect this data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
PISD TEA Scores & ratings...

Pflugerville Independent School District :: Test Scores (broken link)

http://www.pflugervilleisd.net/documents/PflugervilleISDTEARatings2007.pdf (broken link)

And for comparison - all the districts within this area, for 2006-07 school year.

http://www.alamotitle-austin.com/library/23/Public_Schools.pdf (broken link)
Thanks so much Jenbar for posting all the links. Much appreciated !

T.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:49 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,386,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dds View Post
Quick question for "llkltk"...I live in the Parmer/Metric area (Scofield Farms) and do not find it "sketchy"...what are you referring to? Also - interested in your comments about the Pflugerville ISD since our son will be starting school in a couple of years. Thanks -
From Parmer, head north on Metric. The sketchiness may not be evident right away but pass thru the light at Howard and you can't miss it. As you pass Howard, look to your right and you will see I-35. In the evening you can see the homeless heading to or from underneath the overpass. Check out the bus stop at the intersection, too - could be interesting. Keep heading north on Metric and you will go by a bunch of apartment buildings. I may be wrong but I think that some of these have been in the news a lot lately because of the crime there.
For the record, I used to drive this route daily, and the area doesn't seem to present a real threat - it's just "sketchy".

Old 08-15-2007, 01:41 PM
dds

24 posts, read 88,861 times
Yes, I live south of Howard off Metric and pass through that area often - it seems to be mostly industrial/apartments. As does the area south of Parmer on Metric (apartments, that is - though some are higher end than those north of Howard). I have only lived here 3 years though so I don't know if the area has declined over the years, etc. We were looking for a more diverse area when we bought our home here, so we are fine with it - although it might not work for everyone looking for the normal suburban experience.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:54 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,650,196 times
Actually, since the built the police substation up there, I think the area has improved...at least over the last 10 to 15 years....

Old 08-15-2007, 01:59 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,436,014 times
I live in Scofield as well. I'm talking about the Metric/Parmer area specifically the Walgreens on Metric. I've been there a few times and haven't felt safe. People from East Austin venture over to the shopping on Parmer/Metric and it's just such a different element. Also, check out Pflugerville and its English language proficiency. It's pretty poor. I don't want my kids going to a school where the teachers have to focus more attention on kids who don't speak English. Also, I vote at these schools and the kids look and act like gangsters. You might want to think about private school. That is why I plan to move down to Southwest Austin, better schools, safer area. There was recently a news report that crime is increasing in North Austin despite the new development. If you live in North Austin, it's best to live west of Mopac and not East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin