Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 02:48 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,590,309 times

Advertisements

I think I might just have to take out a micro-loan to go Sunday.

Update: Pass officially bought!

Last edited by Westerner92; 05-17-2011 at 02:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 04:29 PM

33 posts, read 62,103 times
So sad I just heard about this.

I would have loved to see Old Crow Medicine Show and Santigold on Friday. Do visiting bands ever play solo shows in local spots on the same weekend? I know at some festivals, a band will book a show on their own for the same weekend.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:50 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,341,170 times
All you have to do is sign up for updates from the ACL website and you'll get advance notice of ticket sales. What happens first is a lottery and only a few people get three-day passes. Then, a few months later, three day passes go on sale. This just happened a couple of weeks ago and it was before the line up was announced. Tickets sold out in an hour and a half (got mine!). After that they announce the line up and that's when one day passes go on sale.

Like I said, all you have to do is sign up for email notifications and you'll know exactly what's happening and when.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:16 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,517,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie85 View Post

I would have loved to see Old Crow Medicine Show and Santigold on Friday. Do visiting bands ever play solo shows in local spots on the same weekend? I know at some festivals, a band will book a show on their own for the same weekend.
This is pretty common, yea. Keep an eye on the bands you want to see, and hopefully they play another show.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:41 PM

543 posts, read 1,383,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I think I might just have to take out a micro-loan to go Sunday.

Update: Pass officially bought!
Just bought Sunday passes myself. Glad I checked this thread.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:43 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,778,038 times
Quote:

Oh man, ME TOO!! Just saw Arcade Fire a few weeks ago too in CO and they put on an unbelievable show..it will definitely be a memorable cap to the weekend.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:25 PM

659 posts, read 1,761,706 times
Gots my Friday pass!! Thought about Sat too, but that was squeezing my budget a little tight. Glad I got my tickets when I did - I heard they sold out in ~ 4 hours. Sat is sold out too - all that's left is Sunday.

Anyone ever signed up for volunteering to get freebie tix?

Old 05-19-2011, 12:53 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,874,232 times
the only bands that i'd really truly would like to see are cut copy.... and, and, and, and....... hmmmm.... and, uhhhh..... yep, guess that's it.

YouTube - ‪Cut Copy - Time stands still‬‏

Old 05-19-2011, 07:50 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,028,837 times
With lineup out, ACL Festival tickets nearly sold out

a rundown:

-VIP passes are selling for $902 a pop.
-Tickets are now selling online for 2x-3x face value just hours after selling out.
-ticket retailer sales are up 72% over last year.

This is totally getting out of hand. I wonder if this is normal, or if it's a madhouse compared to other festivals in the US - Bonnaroo, Pitchfork, Coachella... ACL seems to have a slightly stronger lineup, IMO.

Quote:
Do visiting bands ever play solo shows in local spots on the same weekend? I know at some festivals, a band will book a show on their own for the same weekend.
They sure do. Places like Emo's and the Continental Club will be continually busy over the weekend. The synergy, critical mass, and ticketless tourists will ensure that their stay will not be limited to a 90 minute set at ACL. They'll play a local show, then have an afterparty..The last time I went, I made it to one of the band's afterparties, which was just 3 blocks from Zilker at someone's house, and got to BS with a couple of the guys from Reckless Kelly for an hour or so, and it was surprisingly low-key, and so were they. I'm sure some of the headlining bands prefer renting nice private residences in Austin (in Bouldin, Travis Heights, Barton Hills, Westlake, Tarrytown) as opposed to a crowded hotel like the W, as nice as it is.

Last edited by jobert; 05-19-2011 at 08:19 AM..

Old 05-19-2011, 08:17 AM

242 posts, read 494,626 times
For the past few years, all the major festivals have pretty much the same lineup. This year is no exception.

There is no reason to pay above face value. Simply wait until the festival dates get closer. Many of the out of town people that thought they would be coming to TX will no longer have time/money to do so. Prices will be face value or below. Supply/demand/rinse/repeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin