Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 11:09 AM

732 posts, read 2,125,726 times

Advertisements

I have several jackets because I moved from the NE but have only worn my thin zip up hoodie here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 11:14 AM

970 posts, read 1,872,492 times
I moved from a colder climate and got rid of the down and heavier jackets, but kept my parka. I have used it often, but that's because I am outside quite a bit even in the winter.

Got rid of the down comforter, but still use either a wool or cotton blanket for about three months out of the year.

I gave away most of my heavy sweaters, but kept (and wear) the lighter weight wool and cotton ones. Like someone else wrote, it's a good idea to keep some cardigans, and you will use them in the summer because so many places have the A/C on high........I don't get that!

Old 05-16-2011, 11:53 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times
You only need about one of each, and they will last you a lifetime as you will wear them so rarely.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:08 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,572,687 times
When I leave my house in the morning at about 6:30am between November and March, I always need at least a lightweight jacket. My wife made me buy an additional lightweight jacket when we moved here that goes with brown shoes as well. I would keep one of your heavy coats for the days that it gets in the 20's (only a handful of days each year) and would hold on to a lot of the lightweight/midweight stuff. Yes, it gets very hot during the Spring/Summer/Early Fall, but we have our share of cold days, rain, hail, and recently a day or two of snow during the Winter. I only owned a single lightweight jacket when I moved to Austin and I now own about 5 or 6 that I had to purchase over the years. I've been caught outside without a jacket here when it has been 17 degrees and that wasn't fun. Again, I think it depends if you're out and about before 7:30am or so.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:28 PM

32 posts, read 101,499 times
When we were there in January (or was it February?), it was rainy and cold and I swear I didn't see a single person with a warm jacket on. I even saw a few in short sleeves and flip flops in 45 degree weather!

The reason I asked is because I noticed our rancher in Barton Hills doesn't have A COAT CLOSET! I thought it was odd until I realized there really isn't a need for one!

Hate blasting cold AC! I'll keep my wool socks, a few jackets and sweaters for freezing cold movies and restaurants - great advice!

THANKS FOR THE INFO! All the comments are super helpful. I can hardly imagine owning just "one scarf" can't wait!

Old 05-16-2011, 01:39 PM

679 posts, read 1,802,292 times
I have a bunch of jackets. Leather, wool, down, probably a half-dozen zip-up fleeces... You'll probably use most everything except for something like a full-length insulated coat.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:07 PM

61 posts, read 147,633 times
great thread heavy happiness! We're moving for NY in July so I'm in the same boat. Based on the advise I'm gonna take everything warm goodluck with your move!!

Old 05-16-2011, 08:20 PM

291 posts, read 800,468 times
Not many! I can't stand regular (pull over the head) sweaters, because while it might be cool in the morning, it will be warm by afternoon, even in winter. I like to wear cardigans that can be taken off when it warms up.

I wear zip up sweat shirt jackets for casual and a sweater or light (unlined) coat for colder weather. I do have a warmer coat I wear when traveling up north, or for when it gets in the 20's for a few days like it did last winter - but it does NOT get that cold every winter. There are some winters it hardly gets below freezing.

Oh and you WILL need a jacket or sweater in theaters and some restaurants in the summer. Gotta be sure those business men in suits are cool! No one wears a suit to the theater, do they???

Old 05-17-2011, 05:32 PM

32 posts, read 101,499 times
Guys - I just packed my winter stuff today. And as per your advice I did not pack the long down coats. I did pack a long cashmere coat (dressy), a couple vests, a short down coat (for trips back to the NE) and a few lightweight zip ups and fleece jackets. Should be plenty. Thanks for all the advice! Tomorrow I'm packing my sweatshirts and I won't bring the pull-overs, just the zip ups - thanks Rowdy's Mom!

LaMor - HERE'S THE KEY FOR PACKING - Spacebags! I read terrible reviews of them online, but bought them anyway. Now that they're in the boxes, even if they split open or leak, the coats have nowhere to go! I was also able to pack about three boxes of stuffed animals into HALF of one box (lots of air in stuffed animals, apparently!) and throw pillows and such - they are GREAT. The moving company I'm using charges based on staying within 14' - $165 per foot over. Vacuum Spacebags to the rescue!

Old 05-18-2011, 03:19 PM

69 posts, read 220,669 times
Default Moved from Michigan last summer

I never wore a coat all winter. A heavy cardigan, sweatshirt or fleece were all I ever needed. I agree the coldest I have been is at a movie with the AC.

I thought I'd enjoy the heat, but I've rejoiced on cloudy, cool days and have gotten excited to put a turtle neck on. I sweat almost every day except for December and January. Many days I have to change clothes at least once during the day.

Just thinking about August and 30 days of 100 degrees is enough to make me cry.

But, there are lots of unique and cool things to experience here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: